iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Tool

Started by Bruno of NH, September 03, 2017, 01:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I added to my cordless fleet of tools.
Upgraded to this Dewalt saw with a new style of battery its 60 volts.
It will run 60 volt,40 volt and 20 volt tools.
The saw is a 20 volt so its like having 3 battery's in one has lots of power and cuts nice.
I went with the 20 volt saw for weight i use mostly for cutting shiplap siding at my summer contract job.
They make a 60 volt saw but i thought it was to heavy for what i use them for.
The one i got will cut framing lumber.

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

That brute should serve you well.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kbeitz

I'm still using the old 18 volt stuff.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

21incher

I am giving up on battery tools. If you make a living with them and can write them off they are great, but for home use I am finding batteries to be a big money pit that create quite a bit of hazardous waste. Corded tools never become obsolete.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

I find the more the battery's are used they last longer.
If they get light use they don't last that long that's the one drawback.
At my summer contract in a condominium complex folks don't like us using their power outlets that's why I go cordless.
I charge the battery's in my shop each night.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

reelman65

I go cordless for daily use tools (drill, skill saw, driver) and corded for occasional use tools
(sawzall, jigsaw, etc)
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Dave Shepard

I am eliminating my corded tools as fast as I can afford to.  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

I have an OLD worm drive Skilsaw.  The thing is a tank and pretty much nothing stops it.  But it is heavy!!!  When I was working on my foundation blocks (can be cut like wood), it got real old real fast to fire up the generator, cut the block and then kill the genny.

My 20v DeWalt saw was soooo much more convenient!

On the 60v batteries - so it works like a triple 20v battery on a 20v tool?  That's pretty clever of DeWalt.  I've got three 5amp-hr, two 4amp-hr and two 2amp-hr batteries and 4 chargers so I don't think I'll be switching over any time soon.

I have the usual drill / impact combo kit that came with a sawsall and flashlight, the circular saw, leaf blower and weed wacker.  Also a corded sawsall, drill and hammer drill by DeWalt.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bruno of NH

Yes it works like 3 20volt battery's on a 20 volt tool .

Dave Shepard

Keep in mind you only get 1/3 the amperage. Total wattage determines power output.

Splitting up their voltage platform may not have been a good move. Milwaukee is staying with 18 volts, and all tools and batteries will interchange.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

The higher voltage basically reduces the current draw for the same power. This means the motor / wiring / control electronics can be lighter.

If you want 1,000 watts of power from a 20v system, you will need 50 amps flowing. To get the same 1,000w from a 60v system, it's only about 17 amps.

So you can up the power of the tool, without having to add massive amounts of (expensive) copper, larger contacts and switches etc.  The watt / hour rating of the battery is likely the same, but the 60v version should be slightly lighter and cheaper for the same power output. Or have a a bit more power for the same cost / weight.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bruno of NH

As long as it crosscut and rips shiplap siding all day on one charge I will be happy.
I got a great deal on the battery the same as a high capacity 20 volt.
So I thought I would give it a try .

Dave Shepard

But is that savings worth it to have split their platform? Comparisons between Dewalt and Milwaukee SCMS show that Dewalt 60volt have a slight edge in power, but require  multiple batteries and chargers, longer charge times, and less actual cuts.

Bruno of NH

I didn't have to buy a new charger it charged on my 20 volt charger that came with my dewalt 20 volt muti- tool

Dave Shepard

The SCMS requires two chargers to recharge in a timely fashion. Sorry to distract from your original post.

21incher

Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 04, 2017, 04:38:53 PM

Save those old corded tools. In a couple years they will have a small battery pack to hang on your belt that will work with any corded tool. 1 battery that fits all.  8)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Banjo picker

21 thats probably true.  But it wont happen untill they are pretty sure the cordless market is saturated.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

chevytaHOE5674

Around the shop I use corded tools for most things as they generally have more power and never go dead. But out and about around the farm cordless is king. Dragging a generator out to drill holes for fencing isn't real fun and the cordless impact is the cats meow for changing blades on the hay mower. I've abused my 20v brushless dewalt 1/2" drill and it keeps on ticking (although with some motor smoke from time to time haha)...

DeerMeadowFarm

I tried one of those saws out at the logging show in Bangor this past spring; very impressive! I couldn't imagine if I was a framer or roofer being without it.

Magicman

I have one of the first battery drills made by Souix.  It has a cord with two alligator clips for connecting it to a 12v auto battery.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

78NHTFY

Over the years have used corded & cordless, for all the same reasons mentioned above.  But had ten dead batteries from two different manufacturers.  Then saw a Utube video on how to replace the series of batteries inside the casing.  Ordered 3 new batteries from the cheapest manufacturer ($ 12 apiece), moved the contents, with some rejiggering and soldering, into my old battery casings and I now have 3 "new" batteries.  First one took me awhile but the 2nd and 3rd were done in 1/2 hour.  Lot cheaper than paying $ 50 to $100 for a new battery at the box store!!  All the best, Rob. 
If you have time, you win....

Ianab

Quote from: 21incher on September 05, 2017, 08:25:11 AM
Quote from: Dave Shepard on September 04, 2017, 04:38:53 PM

Save those old corded tools. In a couple years they will have a small battery pack to hang on your belt that will work with any corded tool. 1 battery that fits all.  8)

If the old tool is 12V you can hook it to any 12V battery. I have a old 12v drill that's connected to an old computer power supply (good for about 20amps) Usually just use it for counter sinking screw holes in shop, saves a lot of drill bit changes.

You can rebuild the old school battery packs with the Ni-cad cells. I think it was $20 something dollars for new cells for my 14v Bosch drill. and that included postage from China. New cells were rated slighter higher capacity than the originals, had solder tags for easy connection, and you reuse the thermal fuse etc from the old case. They seem to be holding up well in use.

The newer Lithium batteries are more problematic because if they don't match up properly with the charger, they tend to catch fire. The technology better, more power, less weight etc. But Lithium isn't a "friendly" material to work with. It tends to catch fire if you so much as look at it wrong.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kbeitz

So where is everyone buying the replacement cells from?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ianab

Got mine from some random Chinese company on Ebay. They had good feedback and the stuff arrived.

Quote5PCS 1.2V 1800mAh Ni-Cd NiCd Rechargeable Battery Batteries White color Sub C SC

2 of those to repack a 12V battery pack, cost US $15:50, including postage.

PA_Walnut

I got one of those 60v saws back in May...works like  a champ. Dewalt has a power source that runs on several of them (and charges) that will power a 15A corded too. It's like a generator with no gas...until it goes dead. I believe it charges 4 batts at a time also.  Gotta drop another $400 though.

I think these tools are designed by politicians...they extract cash from you at an alarming rate!  :(
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!