iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

burls

Started by ely, November 17, 2005, 04:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ely

when sawing burls, what is the best way to do it. saw them as if you were sawing the log or set them up and crosscut them. also what do you make out of them, what thickness do you saw and any other stupid question you fellas think i may ask next.

reason i ask is i heard of folks sawing them really thin like veneer and glueing them on other wood for a table top. sounds cool but how practical is it really.

Larry

Two kinds of burl...onion skin and eye burl.  Onion skin can be attractive ranking with crotch wood...but it can't compare to eye burl.  Don't know if there is a proper way to saw it...not enough experience to give a good opinion...I saw it by the seat of my pants and hope for the best.  How thick you saw depends a lot on the species.

Think the biggest problem is keeping the "eyes" from popping after sawn.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kedwards

I will post a picture of me sawing a 2400 lbs Big Leaf Maple burl. I have sawn both methods and the best way is the same way you saw a log.
His thoughts tumbled in his head, making and breaking alliances like socks in a dryer without cling free

Ernie

Does anyone know what causes burls to form and is there any way to induce them to grow?

It could be a way to increase forest value over the long term.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Larry

Did quite a bit of research on the internet few years ago to see what I could learn about burls...lot of speculation but very few facts.  Eye burls are formed by the rapid growth of buds...that's obvious...but the trigger???  Onion burls may be the result of an injury to the tree.

I know one thing...if I knew what caused a burl I wouldn't tell.  Good burl sells by the pound or piece...not the board foot.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Ernie

Aw c'mon Larry, you could tell me, I live at the other end of the world ;D ;D
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Frank_Pender

You got it Larry on the selling.  I get $2.00 a lb. for my Western Big Leaf Maple.   I purchased an Oscar 36 last March to slab the burl for my customers.  The saw has all but payed for itself.
Frank Pender

iain

Found this baby at the weekend

iain

OneWithWood

Looks like a nice find, Iain.

Pretty interesting tree also  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Modat22

Quote from: iain on November 20, 2005, 01:10:28 PM
Found this baby at the weekend

iain

That one looks like a it was caused by a vine or something. I see really nice burls in a fence row where barbed wire grew into the tree 60 or so years ago. I'm thinking about getting one from the owner but I'm sure theres wire still in it.
remember man that thy are dust.

Timburr

Iain, if you are after that one, make sure you OK it with the Tree Spirit first or.....
Sense is not common

iain

I'm not after it untill its time

iain

Gilman

Onion Burl,
I have one and have halved it to take a look inside.  I didn't know they existed until I got this one.

Any good uses for onion burl?  How do you prefer to cut them?

thanks
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Larry

The onion skin burls that I have sawn have all been ball shaped with maximum diameter running from around 18" up to 40".  The best use I have seen so far has been for round table tops with a natural edge.  Really something unusual.  They warp some when drying so cut extra thick.  I haven't had one crack yet...unlike a disc that you would crosscut from a tree.

Ironwood

Well, Onion burl if diced boils down to .............Just kidding. Cut the onoins thick as stated and if the dishes start to crack away flood with epoxy when fully dry and sand off the excess. This will freeze the cracking and make them structurally sound.

As to Causation, even the scientist don't really know. Any stress, insect/ injury/ or disease can cause burling but on a cellular level (from what I have found) they don't know.  Hence they cannot replicate the process with any certainty in a lab setting. I love it when nature wins!!!

REID
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Frank_Pender

I had one brought in a few days ago that is very unusual, a Dogwood burl from the stump.  The block measures about 36" one way and  26" the other, all natural edge and about 4 inches thick. 
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!