iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

forks for front loader bucket?

Started by opticsguy, October 06, 2014, 02:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

opticsguy

Any recommendations, thoughts or comments about purchase and use of forks designed to bolt onto a front loader bucket?

I have a three point home made fork lift which is very handy, however having the same capability on the front end loader would sure make some operations easier. 

My front loader has about a 750# lift capacity.  Three point is at about 1200#.

Thanks for your advice.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

buzywoodliff

I first bought a set of clamp-on forks, they were very hard to see and wouldn't stay straight, I then got some forks that quick attach..... Use them all the time and wonder how I got by without them.

jdonovan

Quote from: opticsguy on October 06, 2014, 02:59:34 AM
Any recommendations, thoughts or comments about purchase and use of forks designed to bolt onto a front loader bucket?
My front loader has about a 750# lift capacity.  Three point is at about 1200#.

depends what you want to do with the forks.

With the load another 2+ feet in front of the bucket edge your lifting capacity will be reduced significantly. Probably down into the 400lbs or less range.

This is the forestry forum, so usually forks means log moving, and a 400lb log is a fairly small log.

I've got a set of payne clamp on forks for a smaller tractor (B2620) which has about the same lift capacity as your machine. Its a nice way to move brush/tops from trees. Unload something from the back of the pickup. However, for doing any sort of loaded pallet moving... not great. Also the forks have no back, so as you lift, if you are not careful, things will slide off the top layer and if the forks are angled badly, will come straight at the operator.

If you have a bunch of fork work to do, get the kind that replaces the bucket. You get 2x as much lift, a frame to keep things from falling at you, and the forks themselves are rigid, and don't twist if you bump something.

delvis

Does the bucket detach from your loader?  If it does, do yourself a huge favor and buy a set of forks that attacj directly to the loader.  Clamp on forks are a complete pain and you'll lose even more lifting capacity because the weight is the much further away from your loader's center of gravity, and the lifting leverage the loader arms were designed with. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

terrifictimbersllc

The ones I see are usually bent or have bent or  cracked the lip of the bucket.  That being said they're still better than no forks.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

North River Energy

Neighbor was trying to move 16foot firewood out of the pile with a pair on a small Deere.

Imagine a blind walrus with loose tusks...

It was painful and disheartening to watch.

If you are not in a hurry, you might be able to find a back plate and forks from a warehouse stacker at a scrapyard, then weld on your own pin brackets or a quick-tach plate.

blackfoot griz

I bought a used set of forks for $100 and with some additional steel and a welder, I had a forks for the FEL.  I later modified it so that I can use the same set up on the 3 point.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: North River Energy on October 06, 2014, 08:10:22 AM

Neighbor was trying to move 16foot firewood out of the pile with a pair on a small Deere.

Imagine a blind walrus with loose tusks...

It was painful and disheartening to watch.

I have seen this to ::)

for a solid quike change set of forks used with the bucket a cheep solution is to pick up a set of used forks cut them off so just the flat section is left and find two 6" long section of chanel that will fit over the fork and weld them upside down near the back corner of the bucket (leave room to push dirt out the back as they will need cleaned out before each use) and drill a 1/2 hole thru the chanel the fork and the bucket and pin it in place. 

still have full use of the bucket and quick change forks that stay straight and don't have that screw handle in the way.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

beenthere

opticsguy
Which tractor or FEL are you using? 

Member DanG has a mod for his bucket that looked to be a good idea. But your limit on lifting might deter adding more weight to the bucket.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

opticsguy

Thanks everyone, sounds like a real pain for these clamp on's.  I thought the front loader attachment might be handy, now I know better.  The 3-point forks I made work great and will continue with this set up.

My tractor is a 1987 Ford 1710, 800 hours, looks like 3000 hours..........
With post hole digger, blade, box scraper, rototiller, rake and the 3 pt fork lift.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

DanG

I agree that bucket forks probably wouldn't be worthwhile on a tractor that small.  For what it's worth, here are pics of the forks I made for mine.  The tractor is 60hp with a 2700# loader.

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DanG

Oops, I put the same pic on twice!  :D :D

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JohnM

Beating a dead horse but...  I'm using a set of clamp-ons cause it's what I've got, 'next to useless but better than nothing' bout the best you can say about them.  They are cheap at least... ::)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Joe Hillmann

If you do a utube search for homemade bucket forks you will find several videos of people who make them out of wood.  Since you can only lift about 600 lbs wooden ones should be plenty strong, they are cheap and light so they don't reduce your lifting capacity as much as steel ones would.

Thank You Sponsors!