iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First nail

Started by woody1, October 22, 2008, 07:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Ron or Jeff,is it better to use a light hammer and a fast hit or a heavier hammer and a light hit when swaging.Hardest thing to bring myself to pound on a saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Ron Wenrich

I use a 2 lb "baby sledge" for my mill hammer.  You don't have to hit it really hard like you're driving in a nail.  But, you don't want to give it a light tap, either.  I hit it one shot, than turn the swage over to square it off.  Teeth that are broken on the corners will take a little more work.

One thing you have to watch is that you don't have your swage pulled back too hard or pushed down too hard.  That will either pull the tip of the bit back or push it forward.  Then you'll end up filing it off to straighten it out.  You'll be able to feel if its a good hit. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woody1

One side of my swage is hour glass shaped, the other side is a rectangle. I imagine the hour glass side  is to swage the sides ?
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Ron Wenrich

The hour glass spreads your tooth, the rectangle side is to square it off after you have it spread.

Jeff

I never used the flat side, ever.  I used the hour glass side only. Anything else in my opinion would be unnecessary. Slide the swage to one side smack slide the other side smack. Go around the saw then sharpen. Never had a problem. The jockey squares the tooth.

woody1 if you look at the videos on that thread I linked to, you can see the size of hammer I used. I don't know the weight, but it was a ball-peen. My mill hammer that no one was allowed to use but me. It was the most perfect hammer I ever found and was not about to let it get away from me. :) (It stayed with the mill when I left though)  You can also see about how hard I was striking. Mostly the weight of the hammer plus a tad.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

I feel a road trip coming up.   8) 8) 8)

woody1

One way or the other we are getting together. I think I have a Cobelas girt certificate.
If I can just sell ONE more board....I am on my way ! :D :D

bandmiller2

I like this swage talk,the new shanks [#33] I found for my old disston 48" headsaw have a wide shoulder and I'll have to keep the corners of the tooth wider.I have never done much swaging was spoiled rotten ,alot of friends in Fitchburg Ma. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

woody1

Frank.. I am using #33 also. I like Jeffs video, it gives a better idea of what Ron and him are talking about.
Woody

Thank You Sponsors!