iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Some Input from builders/users

Started by Tryduck, February 21, 2017, 07:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

Wheelchair motors last much longer than a winch motor will and
the battery draw will be much less. again E-bay sells them cheap.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Solomon

Customsawyer is one of the guys on here you should talk to.  :P :P :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Joe Hillmann

The first time I ordered blades from cooks they made it clear that the couldn't garantee the blades would work on my mill because it is a homemade mill.  I also told them I wanted an exact length and didn't want the teeth to line up at the weld.  They said they could do that if that is really what I wanted but the couldn't recommend doing it or guarantee the blades.  I didn't think that was rude of them just covering their butts incase something went wrong and I tried to blame them.  I also don't think it was out of line for them not being willing to give you advice on building your mill because if something doesn't work then you could blame them.

Quote from: Tryduck on February 24, 2017, 12:09:51 PM
Have heard great things about cooks saw blades and their helping people so gave them a call about getting idea which blade and how long to use. Well I was not impressed at all with them! This woman answered the phone with a hello , so I asked if it was cooks saw blades , next I started asking some basic questions and this woman said Look we cant tell you anything how to setup your mill all we can tell you is how our mill is setup . We cant tell you anything about building your band saw mill ..... So I was very very very displeased with cooks saw blades. Was planning to buy the blades and guide setup from them but not really sure based on that first contact with that woman!! They cant be only one who sells saw mill parts so onward...

larrydown60

I also ordered some blades from Cook's and I talked to the older lady and she was very kind and helpful maybe she was raving a bad day. I have a tendency to drive people crazy asking questions. LOL  She was very good good and patient with me I also gave her the wrong measurement at first. they made me some blades to fit my mill, I only ordered 2 to begin with so I can get it lined up and cutting. The blades were only 20.00 each plus shipping. My blades were 15'6"- 1 1/4 - 042 - 7/8 and they sent me all kinds of info on running a new home made bandsaw mill. they also told me when I order more blades they would be around 17.00 a piece Hope this helps

DMcCoy

Quote from: Tryduck on February 24, 2017, 12:31:43 PM
Ox , thats why I decided on cooks because of the things ive heard about them. But I just got off phone with that older lady and wow I was not impressed one bit. Really made me feel like I should find another supplier right off the bat. She was not a nice at all and really bad bedside manner. It was almost like I was ruining her day just by calling her and asking any questions about mills ! Talked for maybe 2 mins and once she said we cant tell you nothing about building your mill all we can tell you is how our mill is, I said then can you at least tell me standard blade I should be building for that is made a lot. She then replied , I already told you we cant tell you how to build your mill so at that point I was so shocked I just decided to get off phone with them/her and choose another supplier for band blades/guides...Was not a pleasurable experience what so ever.Maybe I will try again later but not sure I am will to risk another conversations with that lady again!

If you don't already know there is a fine line here that you might have crossed.  Giving advice on how to build a mill could carry liability on their part.  If she explained she can talk about their mill or about what kind or length of blades I think that is fair. 
If you asked about how to build a mill then I think you have overstepped, they are not a design consultation service.

york

DMcCOY,
You hit the nail on it`s head-Plus,he talked to a woman that picked up the phone to take orders,now what should she know about building a band sawmill???Where is the common sense around here??

Cooks is a FF sponsor so we don`t need to bash them...
Albert

Tryduck

First of all I WAS NOT , I repeat NOT asking how to build my mill! Again so we are clear and everyone understands I WAS NOT asking or wanting to know how to build the mill ! I was wanting to know the STD blade they carried that would not have to be special made every time I ordered some! Next I wanted to know the distance the wheels have to be in order to use that standard blade of theirs! That IMO is not common sense to a person who is building a mill. I am not a machinist or a engineer so all those who claim this is so called common sense , I'm glad you were born with it ! This is a band saw mill not rocket science! Now if I had asked questions like should I use 1/8 wall tube for this and heavy wall for that , yea thats in the area of sorry cant tell you how to build the mill!
My questions were about the VERY product I was planning to buy from them , to ensure it fit/was used within guidelines how they felt it should ! If I just called up and bought blade , ran it busted it sent it back for defects THAT'S not common sense that's stupid ! I am pretty sure online it says to CALL if you are not using a mill they list for each blade so I am betting they want to know information about your mill before you destroy their new bands and decide to blame to replace them! So one more time I was only calling to ask about the distant between wheel shafts and what the adjustment ranges should be for a blade they stock! Sorry if you veterans/ole fellers feel that asking this info is a no no. You never got to where you are asking questions others claimed was common sense :)

Tryduck

Kb - had not thought of that , do wheel chair motors require controllers to operate them or can they be setup like winch motors.

Had a question about bearings. Was going with NTN pillow block 1 1/2" bearings . I had a idea about maybe using bearings that go into rear ends. They make what is called a repair bearing that presses into the end of the axle housing to move bearing locations after a axle bearing has gone bad and damaged the area where it rides. I was thinking of using 3 1/2" thick tube 6" long , machining the ends to accept these repair bearings on each end. They are sealed units with seals on both sides(gear fluid no longer lubes them after repair bearing is installed in rear end). I was going to machine down the tube so I could press them into each end then weld tube to a piece of 1" flat steel for the slider/adjuster on each wheel. Would cylindrical bearings work better and last longer then the ball bearing type pillow block setups?

Kbeitz

Wheelchair motors can be used without the controller. It's just a
DC motor like a winch motor. They are not as strong as a winch
motor but you can run one all day long without it getting hot.
Winch motors are made to only run a short time or they will get hot.
You can buy DC motor controls off E-bay real cheap. Tarp motors
is another way to go.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

Quote from: Tryduck on February 26, 2017, 08:31:42 PM
First of all I WAS NOT , I repeat NOT asking how to build my mill! Again so we are clear and everyone understands I WAS NOT asking or wanting to know how to build the mill !

Quote from: Tryduck on February 22, 2017, 06:53:08 PM
Any one here that repairs their own saw mills or built their own that could maybe give me some input on my build.

I'm going to say this once Tryduck. You are in need of an adjustment in regards to the way you are presenting yourself to the Forestry Forum members and guests, sponsors, and most important to you going forward, to me and the other admins.  This is your chance to cool your jets and respect all the groups I just mentioned.  I'd strongly suggest you meter your reply if you feel you must reply, so that is does not cause you to lose access to this resource, because you really might find it very useful in the future.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tryduck

I understand. Best I just stick to reading other builder treads. Thanks for the help on my build.

Tryduck

I was only trying to make sure it was clear that i was not asking how to build the mill as folks seem to imply I was and that was whole issue. The other quote I don't get what is offensive about it , I was simply asking for builders and guys who repaired their own stuff their input , not sure how that is offensive but I am sorry for asking that too.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Tryduck on February 26, 2017, 08:31:42 PM
... So one more time I was only calling to ask about the distant between wheel shafts and what the adjustment ranges should be for a blade they stock!...

Tryduck, I've been following this thread and decided to comment.  I think your call with Cook's was just a big misunderstanding as your example above.  If you asked "What are your standards blade lengths for 1½ or 1¼ wide blades of a particular thickness", she could give you an answer.  Your question above is missing a very important component needed to provide an answer.  What is the diameter of your wheels?  Even if you gave her that, it is not her "job" to calculate for an unknown mill build - lots of variables.

The formula to set the distance between the axles would be ((Blade length) - (Diameter x 3.14)) / 2 = Axle Spacing.  Likewise, if you want to know how long of a blade to buy and you have a certain distance between the axles that you would LIKE to build then use (Diameter x 3.14) + (Distance x 2) = Blade Length.  Note the use of the parentheses '()' - that indicates the order of calculations, do those first.  I don't mean to insult you as to your knowledge of mathematics - I just want you to calculate it correctly.  Each wheel will consume 1/2 a circle (Diameter x 3.14 / 2) but since you have two wheels (multiply by 2) the 2's drop out.  Then you are left with the upper and lower blade distance between the axles.  Hope that is clear to you without a picture.

Now, the amount of adjustment needed will depend on the type of wheels you are using.  Steel (plain or pulley with v-belt) will need very little adjustment to be able to get it on and tighten it up.  Perhaps 3/4" to 1" movement of one axle - that will take up 1½ to 2" of "slack".  If you are using car tires (like I am), you need 1½ to 2½" depending on the "hardness" of the tire due to its makeup and/or tire pressure.  Without enough slack, it is real difficult to load the blade.

So, feel free to post what diameter wheels you are planning to use and EITHER what distance you want to have your axles or what length blade you want to use.  Then we can help you calculate the other value or check what you come up with.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

And if all that doesn't work for you ... Just run a tape measure around it all.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Tryduck

John Thanks for that info , I did offer that information in the conversation.Maybe I figured a band saw blade maker would have that type information or know how to get it but I was unclear on the adjustment part needed on a blade they had always in stock.Wasn't clear if they stretched or what was needed to allow for adjustments .My idea was to choose a blade that I didn't have to always wait 7 days for it to be built because everyone else used that one. I did have much better success with another vendor this morning who told what each blade they stocked required based on my pulley wheels (didn't ask about the 22" rims milled because he gave me formula to figure it out, along adjustment allowances) that I will try to use first . It is same formula you just posted. I just didn't know how much adjustment should be allowed and he had no problem telling me that too.
   I knew saw blade makers had many common length blades ,  wanted to choose one of them, chances are they are always in stock compared to calling to get a box of special made ones.

KB as in the picture cant do that as no wheels, just empty carriage that goes down track, hard to run a tape over air :)

Thank You Sponsors!