iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

41 years today

Started by WV Sawmiller, July 02, 2018, 08:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Seems like an eternity but today is 41st anniversary. I left the rifle range at Quantico USMC base, rushed to Washington National and nearly missed my flight on July 1st to Huntsville Ala then to Cullman Ala for a quick wedding rehearsal walk through and dinner after with a few family and friends of mine who came up to watch, help and participate in the wedding. Got up next morning and my Father in Law married us at 2:00 pm, a quick wedding reception at the church with typical Baptist Green Sticky punch (Lime Sherbet and ginger ale I think) and cake then to Atlanta on our way back to Quantico to start our life together.

Our son will be 40 the end of this month and our daughter will be 38 the end of next month. Son was born in Okinawa while I was stationed there then daughter in Beaufort SC when we were at Parris Island. Since then we traveled to a few more USMC bases and after I got out I worked mostly overseas and my wife and I have lived on, worked at or visited 5 continents, over 40 countries, hosted 7 different foreign exchange students, and are now working on spoiling 4 grandchildren aged from 18 months to 12 years old. BTW - the crab sorcerer (witch doctor) in Rhumsiki Cameroon in west Africa, a few hundred yards from the Nigerian border, predicted we would have 4 grandkids way before either of our kids were out of school or even dating anyone.

I finished my last overseas assignment in Guinea in west Africa about 5 years ago, my wife retired as the local high school band director about then and we have tried to settle into the retirement life. She still takes pictures as a free lance photographer and quilts and sews and I bought the mill to help occupy my time when not fishing or hunting or watching the three local granddaughters.

Thanks for sharing this momentous event with us. My wife already got her 41 roses delivered and we'll head out for a traditional anniversary lunch in a few hours.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Congratulations and Thank You for sharing your memories.  smiley_love
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

Congrats and a happy anniversary.  
Today is 35 years for us.
It has been shaken and tried , some dark valleys and some steep  cliffs that looked impossable to scale. But God is faithfull in sustaining us and carried us when faith was all that we had left. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Ed_K

Happy anniversary, 8). Have a great day. Our 41st will oct 9th.
Ed K

Texas Ranger

Thanks for your service, and congrats on hanging in there, we just went past our 48th!  Takes a lot to hold on that long, and a few of us do.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

BradMarks

WV:  congrats on 41,  today is our 42nd!   What in the early years would have seemed like an eternity, has happened upon us rather quickly it seems.  Good health be willing, we will share 50 together and many more if she'll still have me 8). 

Autocar

Great story's sounds like you had a very interesting life.
Bill

WV Sawmiller

RJ, Tex & Brad,

I tell folks when I hit 50 I automatically qualify for sainthood. :D Congrats to you guys too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Congrats and Semper Fi. 
Praise The Lord

samandothers

Congratulations WV and others!

WDH

OMG,

I just realized that I am working on 43.  Years, that is, not DBH :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

trapper

we will celebrate 25 on the drive home from the pig roast
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Lawg Dawg

What a legacy WV, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm working on year #20 with my high school sweatheart. We get along good! Got 4 kids to prove it! :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Josef

Congrats Harold,

Reading some of your posts I see our professional lives have had an uncanny parallel, different industries but the same footprint. Only continent I haven't set foot on is Australia. You obviously found a very independent lady to share your life, just as I did, it takes that mindset to deal with the long absences where they have to wear all the hats, and then when our tours are over and they gracefully allow us to resume our roles they do it without pointing out that they handled it quite well while we were gone. 

I found that after one tour I now lived in Pennsylvania, where my wife bought our farm, a double wide, had it delivered, a septic installed, and was all moved in when I got back. All with a 5 year old at her side and another only a couple of months off.

I'm working on 41 this year, I tell everyone 10 more to parole, and my wife interjects that parole is dependent on good behavior, I think she's planning on extending the sentence. At least I hope so. Not sure how I got so lucky.

Congrats on 41, wish you a good many more, some day when I'm visiting kin in WV I'll check in with you and see if you're up for a visit.

Joe
In my house I'm the boss, I know this because my wife said so, I only hope she doesn't change her mind!

New to me Timber Harvester that I'm learning to operate, been building a home built mill for a while, should be ready to make sawdust with it someday if I ever quit "modifying" the design.

Don P

Congrats :)
Dad says the first 65 are the hardest.

YellowHammer

Congrats, 
Is your wife from Cullman?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

YH,

Yes. She was from the community of Vinemont and went to HS at Cullman then to AU where we met. We are going to her 45 class reunion on 21st of this month.
Howard Green

GAB

Quote from: Don P on July 02, 2018, 09:55:57 PM
Congrats :)
Dad says the first 65 are the hardest.
After that you just won't care.
Yes Dear!

Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

78NHTFY

Congrats on 41, world traveler!  ...and all you other long-term hitched-hikers :D :D.  Will be 40 yrs in Oct this year for us, God willing.  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

maple flats

Congratulations on 41, in that time some have had 3-4 spouses.
My bride and I celebrate 51 in Oct. We were high school sweethearts, been together since 10th grade.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, I have known several people who used the excuse they were on the "Catch and Release Plan".

Every now and then you need to refer to them as "My future ex-wife" just to keep them off balance.

I still like MagicMan's statement that the reason he and Miz Pat never got divorced was neither wanted to get stuck with the kids. I used to tell folks if my daughter had been born first she'd have been an only child because she was so much trouble. (Not true - both kids were always pretty good and turned out to be real good adults and respected members of their communities.)
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Well, I put up with her for another year. Boy is she lucky!

This year shows us all healthy and with a new 4 month old granddaughter to show for our efforts since our last anniversary. I guess it has been a good year.
Howard Green

thecfarm

And another healthy and good year to both of you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

congrats!  yes my wife and I got married for the first time at ages 34 and 38, now married over 20 years.  We tell folks, we skipped our first two divorces and jumped in at our third marriage.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

We hit 42 a couple of months back. It speaks well to both of you that you have found a partnership that lasts and worked to make it stick. Congratulations. 
 This year my wife was a poll worker at a special election on our anniversary, so I never did see her that day. Our 20th was spent watching the kids play T-ball.
 Hope you do something nice with the day.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Thank You Sponsors!