iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My timber frame build

Started by Ljohnsaw, April 22, 2013, 01:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

Part of the reason in doing the bath house now was to test out some new tools I picked up last year off of Amazon.  PacTool makes the Gecko Gauge (various models, mine was all aluminum) and the Manual Fiber-Cement Shear (SS211).

The Gecko is a pair of clamps that clip on to the last course of siding to support the next with the appropriate reveal.  They are adjustable (moving a bolt), quick, easy and strong.  The only problem I had was with the varying length of the "shingles" used above, it took a little fiddling and a level to get them right.  When I do my cabin with regular lap siding, these will really help out.

The manual shear is a paper shear looking thing.  It has a 1/8" thick blade that removes a strip of the siding as you cut.  There is a removable straight edge fence to hold your siding, but with my 16" wide siding, I had to remove it.  The siding tends to slide a little bit away from the blade as you cut, so, again, when I'm doing the cabin, it will have the fence installed and will give me accurate and FAST cuts.  It will cut a 8" board in 2 seconds leaving a clean edge on both pieces.  And no dust flying around!

I have no affiliation with PacTool but I've done a number of jobs with concrete siding using circular saws to cut and trim and constructed story boards to help with installation (I generally work alone).  These two tools are worth the price!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Ljohnsaw

Update 8/14/18:

Finished up the bath house siding but still need to caulk, paint and add the drip edge.  What I have up there was just some scrap I had laying around.  I used up all but one of the random shake boards on the back.  The random shake was already painted with a semi-gloss grey.  I'll do the trim in white.

I have some little pieces that I'm going to "glue" on with caulking under the lower window and on either side of the upper window.  I'll pre-drill some holes and use some nails to tack them up.  Can't use the nail gun on small pieces - they just explode.

So, I had to use the regular clap boards for the front.

It's ok and I can always redo it if I find some more of the random shake.

In doing this, I've decided I would never do a full house with the random shake.  I find it too disturbing - I like more order!
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Ljohnsaw

Way back on post #42 (Bath House) is the start of the bath house frame.  It has 3½" of rigid foam insulation and it is amazingly cool whenever I go in there on the hottest days.  In the 3 years its been there, I have not slept in the loft - my friend's cabin is much more comfortable!  That top window is for the loft.  However, I have used the shower many times.  A 32" shower has reaffirmed my decision to make my shower stall big in the cabin!  The roof is aluminum siding from a semi trailer.
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 8/29/18: (and prior week)

I finished off the last two bigger logs making some 8x8 and 8x10 timbers along with some 2x10s and 2x8s last week after I finished up the bathhouse.  Monday I milled up the 5 logs in front I cut a few weeks ago. They were all small diameter so I made 4x6 girt and brace stock along with quite a bit of 1x6s and a few 1x4s.

Today I said goodbye to this nice cedar.  It's too close to my cabin so it has to go.  :-\

I dug around with my Davis backhoe and the forks of the SkyTrak and then used the SkyTrak to push it over. On the ground.  Measured it at 82'.  It came down about 10° off of where I wanted.  I was shooting for right on the driveway but I couldn't get the SkyTrak in at the correct angle to offset the natural lean.

I was trying to figure out where I would find enough rocks to fill the gaps on my rock pile around the foundation.  All the browner rocks were from today's little dig. ;D

The larger rocks in the foreground can only be moved by the backhoe.  The smaller rocks in the shadow of the wall is about 5 wheelbarrow loads of softball to football rocks.  There were more in the root ball.  The very short stump on the root ball was all the SkyTrak could lift.
John Sawicky

thecfarm

If you run out of rocks,send empty trucks. I will send trucks back loaded with rocks. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hedgerow

Quote from: ljohnsaw on August 30, 2018, 01:37:36 AM
Update 8/29/18: (and prior week)

I finished off the last two bigger logs making some 8x8 and 8x10 timbers along with some 2x10s and 2x8s last week after I finished up the bathhouse.  Monday I milled up the 5 logs in front I cut a few weeks ago. They were all small diameter so I made 4x6 girt and brace stock along with quite a bit of 1x6s and a few 1x4s.

Today I said goodbye to this nice cedar.  It's too close to my cabin so it has to go.  :-\

I dug around with my Davis backhoe and the forks of the SkyTrak and then used the SkyTrak to push it over. On the ground.  Measured it at 82'.  It came down about 10° off of where I wanted.  I was shooting for right on the driveway but I couldn't get the SkyTrak in at the correct angle to offset the natural lean.

I was trying to figure out where I would find enough rocks to fill the gaps on my rock pile around the foundation.  All the browner rocks were from today's little dig. ;D

The larger rocks in the foreground can only be moved by the backhoe.  The smaller rocks in the shadow of the wall is about 5 wheelbarrow loads of softball to football rocks.  There were more in the root ball.  The very short stump on the root ball was all the SkyTrak could lift.
I sure like the looks of that Davis backhoe. I wish I had one around the farm.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: hedgerow on August 31, 2018, 10:32:16 AMI sure like the looks of that Davis backhoe. I wish I had one around the farm.

Yes, it sure helps out.  But it did take me all day to dig up that root ball.  There is a better shot of it in reply #364

Update 8/30/2018:

I sharpened about a dozen bands using a grinding wheel on a radial arm saw.  About 10 minutes per blade to turn inside out, sharpen 210 teeth and flip back again.  I didn't set them this time.  They sure felt sharp but I needed to do some testing.  I cut up the little logs on Monday and the blade was going like a hot knife through butter.  I just figured it was the small Ponderosa logs (the 'rosa cuts really nice to begin with).  Knots and all, cut great.  Others have said that their own sharpened bands cut better then new and I agree!

I bucked the tree into 4 logs - 28', 13', 13' and 10'.  The 10' will make a 4x4 or a shorter 6x6.  I'm doing everything big on the cabin.  My porch posts will be 6x6s.

I cut the second log up and made a 6x12 for my last porch sill.  Got five 1x12s (to be used for wall boards) and noticed some "finishing nails" on a couple boards.  Never heard the "zing!".  It looked one went from the face and out the edge.  I thought somebody sure wanted that "no trespass" sign up high. ???

I cut up the third log and got a 6x6 out of it with six 1x6s to use as window trim.  There was even more "nails".  I tried to pull one out when I realized it was lead buckshot.  Someone must have been after some squirrels or ravens.  No spotted owls here ;)

I started on this log:

18x18 SE and 28x30 BE and 28' long.  I was hoping to get two 8x14s out of it when the tree was standing but that wasn't going to happen with that last bit of taper.  So I started whittling it down for one 8x14 when my mill started making a bit of a metallic popping sound.  The blade was getting dull (cut 5 logs on Monday and the two above) so I pulled it and the bearing on the drive side is wonky again.  Might have to replace the bearing this time. :-\
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 9/6/2018:

A fire broke out about 5 miles south west of my property somewhere between 2 and 4 in the afternoon, Monday (Labor Day) at a campground.  They evacuated the 5 campgrounds near there and hit it hard with aircraft and ground crews.  They closed the two nearest I80 exits (one being mine).  They have remained closed and CHPs are keeping everyone out.

As of Thursday evening the fire is 43% contained and has spread to 1,274 acres (slow updates so probably more).  Right at the top of this map is Crystal Lake Road - my property is right about at the "al" in Crystal.  The fire is still about 4 miles south. 

One of the parents in my son's Boy Scout troop is a fire chief.  He was talking earlier to crews and they said it fire "was into granite" meaning it hit the bare rock ground and should be taken care of fairly quickly.  Maybe I'll be able to go up on Monday.
John Sawicky

thecfarm

I see that fire on the news. I am in awe of the power of it. And scared at the same time.
Had a fire here more than 20 years ago. I helped fight it until the FD showed up. Just a small one,but it did some powerful things a few times.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Update 9/12/2018:

The fire is "out" that was near my cabin project.  You can still see some thin columns of smoke as they let it burn completely out.  It was pretty windy up there today but I'm sure there were a couple fire crews keeping an eye on them.

Well, the tree is now just a memory :-\  Moved a lot of rocks and filled in the hole.  Just a pile of roots, branches and slabs.  I did get my 8x14x28' sill (one of six needed) along with a 6x12x12' sill (for the front deck), a 4x4x12' (for porch posts) and a lot of 1x4, 1x8 and 1x10s (wall boards).

I was going to wash the rocks down but I couldn't get my pump to start.  I'll have to see later what's up.
John Sawicky

Magicman

It's good to hear that the fire is out so now you can concentrate on your business at hand.  I enjoy keeping up with your various activities.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Update 9/14/2018:

Back on 9/12 I posted a picture of the front of the foundation.  Today a buddy came along to help.  We installed the third porch sill (closest one missing it the picture above).  After measuring and drilling the 4 anchor bolt holes, it just installed without any issues.

Next, we attacked the front building sill.  First, we had to cut the lap joints I'm using in the corners.  Don't know if that's a good idea or not but it is what I drew.  I figure it will make a good bug-tight/rodent-tight joint.  I got to try out my new-to-me Makita 16-5/16" saw.  A real-man's saw! :o  First we sawed a number of kerfs:

This saw puts out some chainsaw-like shavings!
My buddy wanted to give it a shot.

Then it was a matter of chipping out the excess and using the slick to smooth it out.  Note the 1x2 screwed to the sill.  That was used as a fence to keep the saw cutting true.

The deep cut on the right is the end of the sill.  The sill is 8x14x25'4" and the saw "only" cuts 6-1/8".  So after cleaning up this lap joint, I used the saw to finish off this cut.

No pictures but next I had to cut some 6" deep x 3-1/8" wide angled cuts in the face.  The engineer required some Simpson plates be nailed on to attach the braces to the sill.  These channels will then be filled with some cedar blocks.  Cutting these 4 channels alone made it worth getting this saw.  We got the sill up to measure where the foundation bolts holes were needed and drilled them.  Also, there are some Simpson straps coming up through the sill to nail to the posts.  I cut those slots by plunge boring with my chainsaw.  For some reason, my foundation bolts are a little short so I need to counter bore the holes.  Didn't have a big enough bit on hand so will return on Sunday to finish up and get more pictures.
John Sawicky

Magicman

I would be your buddy too if you would let me use that saw!!  :o  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Update 9/19/2018:

Went back up today to finish installing the sill.  But forgot to bring up the foam sill seal ::)  Did get the three  Simpson straps and the 9 anchor bolts started.  I'll drop it down the remaining 3.5" after I put the sill seal on.

The front porch sill was the one we put installed on Friday.

Here is one of the slots up close.  The Makita worked great on them.

Next up was to uproot another big cedar.  Didn't measure it but taller then the last one.  Funny how looking at them standing they look thinner than on the ground.

I'm cutting off the bottom 7' or so that has a pretty good crook to it.  Thinking of making book matched slabs to join and have an oval-ish dinning table for the cabin.

Bucking a 26' log for the north sill.  On the mill - 24" inside the bark, 18 at the small end:

Decided I needed to add hydraulics to my mill ;)

This next tree will yield me another 8x14x26' sill for the north end of the foundation, possibly five 4x8x13' porch boards, another 6x6 porch post and a selection of 1x for the interior walls.
John Sawicky

fishfighter

I use them jack. ;D

Nice to see some wood on that foundation. 8)

Ljohnsaw

Update 9/19/2018:

I finished up the big cedar log yesterday (well, almost).  While getting down to the 8x14 sill, I produced some nice side wood to be used for the walls.  I got a fair amount of 1x10s and 1x8s along with these 1x14x26'.  Sill on the left, boards on the right, other boards in the background to be edged.

Can't use the 26' length but can use 13'.

Today, got a later start (9:00) and spent all day cutting the end lap joint, the four brace pockets, one center post pocket and the four 6" deep notches for the Simpson straps.  Here the sill is on its side after we just finished the notches.

The first pocket took long time to cut, the fourth was quite a bit faster.  I was going to use my boring machines but they had issues.  One had a warped base and the other is apparently missing an upper shaft that keeps the gears aligned (got that one off eBay).  Other than cleaning them up, I haven't tried them until today :-\
John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 9/30/2018:

Went up today with the intention of cutting the slots and pockets on a section of sill I cut last week.  But I forgot my shop drawings ::)

So, I cut up two logs from a leaning tree I cut last week and got nine 4x6x12' brace/girt stock and some side 1x and 2x. 

From the 7 foot butt section of this log

I got seven ~3" slabs between 24 and 31" wide.  The narrower slabs I'll probably joint and glue them up for table tops or maybe just use them for benches.

Another five foot crooked section from another tree:

It looked like the top died/lightening struck and this branch took over.  Nice figure inside.  I got 3 slabs with this wrinkle curl.

Just have to figure out how I will use them since one end is wide and the other pretty narrow.  Might reverse them so it makes an oval table with a hole in the middle - maybe fill with epoxy?
John Sawicky

Magicman

Reversed with a center inlay sounds interesting.  smiley_idea

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/10/2018:

A neighbor had a dead tree that I could take down.  I told him there was another and he wanted me to take down whatever is dead.  The beetles have been killing a few trees a year on his place (maybe 2 acres).  Anyhow, the big tree was about 120' tall.  The top shattered when it hit the ground.  I got this 52' log to make my basement beam.

This is the most perfect log I've ever come across!  There was a break then I got a 12' log.  Then there was this "skinny" tree - funny how from a distance they look small.  I got a 24' x 16" log.

The butt was a bit hollow:

I left about an 8' log from the butt.  I might grab it and make a bunch of cookie picture frames...

It started to rain about 3:30 so I packed up and headed home.  I'll be back to cut soon.
John Sawicky

TimFromNB

Ljohnsaw

Update 10/13/2018:

Yesterday (Friday), my buddy went up with me and we sawed out the three logs.   Got eight 2x10x24' (floor joists), one 2x10x18', one 2x10x10', two 2x8x10' and a 8x13x50' main floor beam.  We worked from 8:30 to 6 pm.  A little over 900 bd-ft.  Didn't put the last of the lumber up - too tired and needed to head home.

Today, my niece's husband came up with me to put the lumber away, dig out three 8x10x10'+ posts to support the main floor beam and to cut the mortises in the main floor beam.  He used my boring machine to drill them out and I cleaned them up with my slick.  Just need to trim to length and flip it over.

John Sawicky

Ljohnsaw

Update 11/1/2018:

Finally, got the beam up.  Took a little fussy work to get it to fit.  And it took all the SkyTrak had to offer.  Had to reach over the wall at a slight angle and lower it in place.  Nice to get it done!

John Sawicky

Magicman

Now dat looks good. Yes siree man, dat looks some good.  8)

samandothers

Looks very nice indeed!  I know you are glad to get that one up.  You've come a long way!

Thank You Sponsors!