iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with Chain

Started by Typhoon, August 20, 2003, 04:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Greetings.. as I said in a previous post, I just purchased my first "real" saw, its a Husky 350. I have owned several poulan pro's and homelites, and thus far, the Husky is above and beyond anything I have ever used. I decided to order a higher performance chain than what comes on the saw as well.. The chain that comes on the saw is your standard anti-kickback, husky chain. The chain I ordered for it is an Oregon square corner chisel chain. What can I expect from this chain as opposed to the stock chain? You can find a picture and information on the chain at the following link. There are 3 chains on the page, the one I ordered is the bottom one (Super Guard). I am very experienced with saws, have been using them for years and  wanted to give one of these chains a try. Thanks! Here is the link: http://www.oregonchain.com/325.htm
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Kevin

That's the best of the bunch for the 30 series in my opinion, try and keep it out of the dirt. ;D
How do you intend to sharpen it ?

Typhoon

I hope with a round file like I do my other chains. However, by the way you asked that, im assuming the worst and thinking that you are about to tell me that I have to have a grinder to sharpen it. I hope not!! :o

Kevin

Have you seen the EM file guide that snaps on the chain and has two plastic rollers for the file to ride on?
It makes for a nifty little file guide when in the woods.
A stump vise is also handy.

Typhoon

Will I be able to sharpen it with a regular file with a guide?

Kevin

blue_eyed_devil

I have two of those em file guides.One for my low-pro chain and one for my 3/8.They are super handy for a novice like me.
Had to file the bar groove wider on both guides before they would fit ????
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

Kevin

blue_eyed_devil

Oregon 91-vs for the low pro and I'm not sure about the 3/8 full chisel, but the chain was not the problem.My bars were too wide. I can look up the part # on my bars and chain if you like.
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

Kevin

The bars are a little wider but my guide is opened up a little wider at the bottom.
The bar on my 066 is .010" larger than the width of the chain.

My guide looks similar to this ...

Larry

A few gadgets.

The one on the left is a combo type thing for .325 chain.  Center is for 3/8" chain and the right one is a plate for the rakers on 3/8" chain.  Got a whole bunch of other things to sharpen with including an electric grinder but they all gather dust except for the three in the picture.

Now if only somebody would come out with a guide for my 72CK square chain I would be in heaven.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Gus

The thing you'll notice the most about the full chisel compared to the anti-kickback is the bite it takes. It bites a little harder and the potential for kick-back is multiplied. Watch the rakers and don't file them to much until you get used to the way it changes the personality of the saw. If you're cutting hardwood you probably don't want to take them down much anyway. In softwood if you've got the power you can file them a little more . . . . but hang on cause she'll take a big bite and try sucking the saw into the wood. ;D and man the chips fly.
I've never had any of those sharpening gadgets. Was taught by my Dad to do it by eye and feel. That gadget with the rollers looks like a handy one. tho. And that stump vise, now that is something. Seen one in Bailey's catalog, excellent idea. There are some clever people out there.
Happy sawing.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Larry

SD,
Those guides with the rollers are very helpful for a beginner to get there angles right.  I don't use them very much especially since Oregon started making the chain with the proper angle etched in the top of the tooth.  Just freehand like you most of the time

A logger showed me something years ago much better than that stump vise.  Guess you could call it a limb vise.  First tree you fall cut about half way through a limb.  Put the bar in the kerf and sit down on the limb.  The bar will be pinched and I file the rakers with the plate jig.  Stand up and the bar is released.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!