iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

kickback

Started by David_c, September 12, 2003, 10:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David_c

i've noticed that my 372xp seems to have less kickback than my old 2.3 c.i poulan you'd think with it being so much more powerful there'd be more . 8) 8) 8)i quess bigger realy is better. :D

Gus

It's the RPM's. Plus the horsepower. Isn't it awsome 8)
Be careful man. You've just gone from a homeowner saw to a pro saw. It's like comparing house cats to cougars. :o

Good Luck, Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

David_c

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)i love it my poo poolan was 10 years old and just for ocausanal camp wood but now i'm clearing my land i wanted real saw. i used to wok for a tree service years ago so i do know a little about how to use a chainsaw and my mind is allways on saftey plus i'm taking the game of logging classes  in october dont help now but hey . i was a little nevouse about the power differance after not useing anything but that junk for so long but i will tell you it handles soooo much better. :)

blue_eyed_devil

The inertia brake on your new saw may also save you from serious injury sould you have a kickback.
The Poulans usually come with anti-kickback chain if they are homeowner models.I have a 2150 woodsman that I got as a gift.Changed to a Oregon bar and 91-vs chain.
I bet you are already appriciating the isolation system on your new saw.The vibrations are horrendous on the homeowner models.

262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

Oregon_Rob

Bigger is better. F=MA
Chainsaw Nerd

David_c

yeh the anti vibration system on this is great 8) i have had no real kickback problem with this handles like a dream the poulan i had bought other chains for it i hated that saw came close to losing a leg with it once left three holes in pants not a mark on me:o plus constantly bogging down just not enough POWER. >:( the 372 i feel is sooooo much safer :)

blue_eyed_devil

I trust you already know but .......just don't get complacent about safety,they all kick!!!
262 xp,395 xp,built my own chainsaw mill

David_c

trust me my mind is allways on safety ever sice my near miss ::) becuase thats what happend now i wear chaps and allways pay attention. but what i was saying is this saw does'nt seem as kickback happy. ;D

Kevin

Reduced rpm combined with dull cutters will greatly increase kick back.
Keep your cutters sharp and run them fast.

David_c

kevin i used to keep several chains around so that alls i had to do was change chain keep on working then bring them to be sharpend. decided time to start doing it myself did my fist the other day and if i do say so myself i did a great job ;Dit was spitten out some nice chips. 8) 8)

Kevin

Something that really helps is a guide for measuring the length of each top plate.
You can buy one specifically for this purpose or use something like a ruler with graduations on it.
After time the top plates become different lengths and should be made equal again.

David_c

hi kevin i bought the oregon kit with the files one for teeth one fortop plate and it also comes with the guide you place over it it says file every third time is that correct. also will they be even usin that thanks. :)

Kevin

I believe you might be talking about the raker height.
Every third sharpening is about right for lowering the depth gauge.

David_c

my mistake thanks i cofuse easily :-[ how ofton should i check the top plate and once i turn my mind back on i know what your talking about. ;D

Kevin

You might want to check them after every third or fourth sharpening if you are new at filing.

David_c

o.k thanks who makes the top plate guide and is that what its called. :)

Kevin

I have two, one I think is from Granberg and the other came with my Oregon 511 chain grinder.
I'll see if I can find a picture of one somewhere.

David_c

thank you kevin you have allways answerd all my dumb questions and have'nt made me feel dumb i do appreciat that.

Kevin

Dont think these are dumb questions, they aren't.
We all asked the same questions at one time or another, that's the only way to learn.
That's what this forum is for, if we didn't get any questions it would be pretty boring.
We are lucky to have a few guys that really know chainsaws inside and out and I appreciate their participation here as well.

Kevin

Not real clear but try this anyway --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--.com/photo/74882584/90577071LKnctj

The bottom left shows the graduations for top plate length.

David_c

thanks how do you use it. looks confusing.

Kevin

It's multi function.
The primary use I have is checking the wheels on my grinder to make sure the radius matches, that's done on the U shape openings.
The graduations are used for measuring the top plate.
Just put one line on one end of the top plate and count down the graduations until you reach the other end of the top plate.
You could just as easily use a ruler but this guide is always on my bench and is easy to work with.
The idea is to keep the cutting teeth all the same length so the chain cuts even.
The small holes are handy for checking file sizes.
The back side has a pitch gauge.

David_c

now it does'nt seem as confusing thans can i pick one up at my service dealer or do you know where .

Kevin

If your dealer sells the 511 Oregon grinder there should be one in the box with the grinder.
There's a part number on it and he should be able to order one from Oregon if he doesn't sell them separate.

David_c

Thank You Sponsors!