iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sold my equipment tried underground mining. Going back logging again

Started by U.P mich, October 30, 2017, 10:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

U.P mich

Logging markets got real bad and my quotas got cut in half early summer. Got an opportunity to go underground mining. Have been doin that for 3 months.  Well it's not logging so I'm goin back to the woods.  Just wanted to share that . Now I know for certain where I belong and no matter how much greener the grass may look in someone else's yard.  The grass in your yard is better because it's yours and you grew it.

sawguy21

Good for you. I'll take green grass and the sun on my face any day.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PA_Walnut

UP Mich, my mom's from up your way (Marquette area) and told many tales of whoa about her father being a miner. Sounds like tough going!  :o

We visited with the kids last Aug! Lake Michigan and Superior are amazingly beautiful. Lovely area...we'll be back soon.

Here's some pix from our visit!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Gearbox

I don't think I could be a Mole . I would stay on top with a chain saw to .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Corley5

Once a logger always a logger :)  I don't think I could work underground :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

nativewolf

PA Walnut,

Great great pictures.  Wish I had your touch.  Do you belong to any photo clubs?
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

Native,
I don't belong to any clubs, but I have been a photographer and cinematographer for 20+ years, so it's what I do!  ;D
Thanks for the compliments. It's easy when visiting special places like that!  8)
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

JJ

I have a daughter with a eye for photography like your pictures.  I take picture of same thing she does, and somehow hers belongs in a frame.
Thanks for sharing your awesome pictures.

JJ

JJ

It's all about light.  How did you get enough light for the spectacular Milky Way photo?

Ianab

Quote from: JJ on October 31, 2017, 10:09:39 PM
It's all about light.  How did you get enough light for the spectacular Milky Way photo?

A REALLY bright flash?  :D

But seriously a modern digital camera will take that sort of pic if you set it on a tripod, wind open the aperture, up the ISO and set it for 10-30 second exposure. The cameras sensor can pick up faint light better than our eyes, as long as you give it a long exposure.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

U.P mich

Yes this is an amazing area we call home here In the upper penninsula Michigan. We really are blessed with the lakes and rivers and trees etc .   I'm glad I don't have to spend my time underground anymore.   Life's to short and the scenery is to good to not spend the day in it.   

PA_Walnut

Yes, we'll be up for a visit again real soon!

As for the pix (light, etc.) the comment about modern cameras is only partially accurate/true. People are very excited to get a new camera, often forgetting that mega-pixels, blinky lights and lots of dials and buttons don't make for good pix--LENSES DO! (everything starts there.).

I have a set of primes lenses that are most excellent and very fast. Almost necessary for astro photography. It's a great way to get outside at night and see a whole other world!
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Ianab

True. A better lens allows a larger aperture setting for night shots, which coupled with the other things improves a shot like that a lot. Huge mpix make little difference unless you are trying to crop or print it on the side of a building.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

nativewolf

Quote from: U.P mich on November 01, 2017, 01:26:25 AM
Yes this is an amazing area we call home here In the upper penninsula Michigan. We really are blessed with the lakes and rivers and trees etc .   I'm glad I don't have to spend my time underground anymore.   Life's to short and the scenery is to good to not spend the day in it.

I think I hijacked the thread a bit but at least it was complimentary to your decision to stay above ground. 

Out of curiosity what was the mineral/ore being mined?
Liking Walnut

Corley5

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1270d

You going to buy some iron or go to work for someone?    Plenty of used stuff out there right now. More like a flood really.

nativewolf

Quote from: thecfarm on November 01, 2017, 02:16:02 PM
Not the first one to get hijacked.  :D
If it had to get hijacked at least it was started by some great pictures of his State.
Liking Walnut

PA_Walnut

No hijack intent...more of a positive reinforcement that while the grass may look greener over there, it's really green where you're standing! ;)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

U.P mich

I'm looking at equipment as we speak. Lots of decent used equipment out there right now so it shouldn't take to long to find what I'm looking for.  Can't wait !  Logging is a labor of love for sure. 

nativewolf

so back to pulp?  Custom harvesting?  Veneer?  What's the plan?
Liking Walnut

Gary_C

Quote from: U.P mich on October 30, 2017, 10:40:51 PM
Logging markets got real bad and my quotas got cut in half early summer.

Are you thinking that logging markets got better since summer?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hilltop366

Quote from: thecfarm on November 01, 2017, 02:16:02 PM
Not the first one to get hijacked.  :D

But this time it wasn't about food!

Well it is the "milky" way.

BLink

Let me know if you run into some nice curly or birdseye maple logs.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

U.P mich

Not that the markets have gotten that much better tho sad to say the hurricane did give the local markets a lil bump up.  I just realized it really doesn't matter what the prices are, I'm gonna cut timber until I physically or financially cannot possibly do it anymore lol .  It took a few months of mining for me to realize that .  So I'm heading to custom harvesting/ cutting for companies .  Before I was mainly a pulp producer . Now I'm focusing on more of a niche market . Small acerage private land owners who can't get the larger operations to come cut for them.  Also select harvesting for companies now and again.  Have a fair amount of work lined up for winter.  Winters my favorite time to log so I'm excited to get back at it.

mike_belben

It took me most of my life to conclude money and happiness are often inversely proportional.  Best of luck back in the woods man.

Hebrews 13:5
Praise The Lord

Pclem

U.P mich, you said you are going into a niche market with small acreage. Mind me asking what kind of equipment  you'll be buying? I'm assuming hand cutting with a skidder or forwarder? Just assuming it is harder to make a profit with larger equip.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

62oliver

U.P mich, do you mind if I ask what did you not like about the mining gig?
Husqvarna 266, Case 90xt, JD310C, TJ240E, 02 Duramax

U.P mich

Yes I'll be hand cutting with a forwarder and a small cable Skidder . I had the large equipment 13+ load / week operation and it isn't as good as you may think. I made more money personally when I was a one man show with a powersaw and forwarder 10 years ago.  Way less stress being a smaller operation also.   As for mining I can't handle being underground all day when all my life I've been in the woods.  I'll take the bugs and the rain and the snow over being underground any day. Lol

Firewoodjoe

U.P this is what I'm looking at doing. If u could only afford a cable skidder first would u buy one or barrow money for a forwarder? What kind of production are u expecting from yourself? Good luck to u. We all need it! :)

U.P mich

Hands down I would get a forwarder right away.  Ideally both would be nice to have as cable Skidders are handy when a forwarder can't get to the wood but I find a forwarder more efficient. Easier for a one man operation to produce, cleaner logs so the mills like it, nicer piles and better sorts so the truckers like it.  I can normally produce 30 cord a day in decent timber lil less in small wood lil more in large wood. It's a long day to cut it all and get it picked up but once the snow flies everything has to be picked up the same day so the production slows down some.  Summer I can cut 2 or 3 days than forward one whole day and repeat

Firewoodjoe

Your felling bucking and skidding 30 cord a day? So 150 cord a week by yourself?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

U.P mich

I cut daylight to dark with brakes in between when I'm tired and skid early mornings and evenings if I can. Otherwise Saturday is for skidding.That's pulp logs and bolts combined  in decent 14" minimum dbh heavy cut   I'd say most trees are 16-18" dbh marked around 15 cord / acre. And I have an efficient system for bucking wood that makes it easier than I see a lot of people doing.   Like I said tho once the snow hits and I have to cut and skid the same day the production will decrease by about 5-8 cord / day. In This case it makes it nice to have an employee to forward so I can keep cutting but employees are extremely expensive and in my experience unreliable lol. I know of another one man crew like this that has been doing 25 cord / day consistently for 18 years with 1 part time employee that helps out now and than.  I can't keep up the 30+ cord / day forever. Eventually I'll slow down I'm sure.  But today isn't that day lol . 

chep

As a hand chopper in front of a forwarder I would love to hear some of your bucking methods to cut 30 cord a day. Not doubting you, cos in the right wood it is definitely doable. But 6 days a week? Our 12 ton double bunk holds about 3.5 cord. Average day in marginal wood I can cut 3 forwarder loads without killing myself. Big wood good ground you can double or better. 
30 cord a day is a pretty big number. Is it loggers choice or marked wood?

U.P mich

I had a double bunk timberjack 1210 b when I started hand cutting. 5 cord bunk heaped.   And I would cut 5 loads a day in nice wood  3 in smaller wood
Recently I had a fabtek 546c 5 cord bunk. And I would cut 5 loads a day for that in nice wood.  I'm not saying I got it all skidded the same day but it all got skidded eventually.  Like I said once winter hits and all the wood must be picked up every day production falls substantially with a one man operation.  Now it's not possible to achieve 25-30 cord / day in small wood.  It's just not.   Mature oak stands .  Old growth hard maple stands.  We are talkin 3-4 10' sawlogs/ tree and a few sticks of pulp all day long .  That's what's on a lot of state and federal forest sales around here. As well as private sales.   Have to pick and choose jobs wisely when hand cutting.  Once in a while a low production job has to be cut but if I can't make money on a job or barely break even than I can't cut it unless it's a favor . Or just one bad job out of many good ones for a land owner. 10 cord / day is a good day in small timber or rough terrain I'd be proud to produce that .  It just makes it so much easier to produce high volumes in the right wood.  That's what I'm always on the search for.  I. Etc if you converted you sawlog volumes to cordage you would be higher than you think.  I just go by total cordage ex. 5 buggie loads full with a 5 cord capacity buggy is 25 cord day.  Once on the landing in the form of pulp, bolts logs firewood etc. It doesn't look like much but after a few days you get some loads hauled and see what you really had.  It's real close.  I buck the wood with a 10'9" long 3/4 inch plastic tubeing with red electrical tape wrapped around it at 99" , 105" and 129"  that way I just lay the stick down and cut next to the red tape line I need.  A tape measure and paint or foresters tape takes to long.  I don't cut many over 10'9" unless it's veneer .

Gearbox

I have said this befor . There is something about seeing the sun come up on a winter morning in the woods . Better yet seeing Hawks Hitting rodents in a Spruce swamp . Going in befor the sun comes up seeing Deer Cats Wolves and things every day that most people never see . That is the reason we do what we do and why some people Don't get it .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Firewoodjoe

Well that is awesome UP. And I hope to achieve that also. When u do a thinning and hand cut and buck it at the stump how much trouble do u have getting those forwarders close enough? That's what I worry about buying a forwarder vs cable/grapple. I've done it but that was with a iron mule. They are like an atv in the woods. Not like the last decades equipment.

mike_belben

How are you guys figuring the amount of cordage here?  Is this timber getting processed into firewood? Or weighed or something?
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

I'm figuring on 128 cubic feet. Isn't any cord 128 cubic feet? Unless your talking ricks or face cords but I don't think anyone is here. And no one has mention per thousand which there's two cord per thousand. The only diff in production would be dbh or if it's 10s 12s vs say 8s.

chep

Thanks for the reply u.p mich! Good stuff. Sounds like you have a great system worked out and from the sounds of it you won t have any issues getting back in the game.

You are right about the forwarder landings. It is very deceptive how much wood is there with lots of sorts. 

So your measuring tube. Do you roll it up and un  roll it for every tree or do you just drag it around? I use a spooled self rewinding tape. We do a lot of diff lengths up to 20 ft so I find it the quickest to set the nail at the defect or butt or tip and work off that.

mike_belben

Yeah its 128 cubic foot.  What im asking is if your hauling out logs that get cut into firewood, stacked and measured one time to come up with the "it fits 5 cord" figure.. Or was it some other way?
Praise The Lord

U.P mich

I use the plastic tube at the 10'9" length with red tape marks along it where my sort lengths need to be cut. and I just carry it around its way faster than using a retractable tape. You could even use a nice straight light stick .  It will cut your bucking time in half I guarantee  it.    I buck as I go down the tree cutting off limbs as I get to them.   As for forwarding hand bucked wood it isn't difficult unless you are in steep terrain or you fall in an area you cannot drive to such as a stream or property line.  Work on directional felling and plan 3 or 4 trees ahead where you need them to go and I'd recommend a forwarder with an extendable boom and you shouldn't have a problem.  As for cordage talk.  A cord is 128 cf.  or in pulpwood terms. 4'x4'x8' long is a pulp cord / loggers cord  my last forwarder held 5 cord. Mind you a lot of what I cut and hauled was logs obviously measured by mbf but I just call it cord when I haul full buggy loads so I know how much I cut without stick scaling everything.   Our pulpwood here is measured mostly by the ton at the mill. Tho some mills stick scale on the truck. 

mike_belben

I think youre missing my question U.P.    ill rephrase.

When i haul in a load of fresh cut white oak sawlogs that scales 1300 board foot and weighs 23,000 lbs.. How many cord have i got?   Only way i can think to figure it out is cut/split/stack and count how many cord it makes.  I suppose if it was all one length of logs i could measure the bundle dimension and find cubic volume of the shape.
Praise The Lord

Gearbox

Mike White oak is a little heaver than Red . Red here is payed on a 5000 pound cord . That was about what I hauled on my 3 axel .

mike_belben

Thanks.  I finally got off my lazy butt and googled it.  Heres a really thorough chart of various industrial wood metrics.

http://www.globalwood.org/tech/tech_wood_weights.htm
Praise The Lord

bushmechanic

We used to lug around a measuring stick, now we have the measure on the saw. It's great you never lose it and it's always with you.

Firewoodjoe

Is that just a small red rod sticking out? So u use the hole saw and the rod combined?

bushmechanic

Yes the whole saw and the whip together...makes four feet. if you like you can put whatever marks on it with black tape to get your specific length. I mostly cut eight feet so it's two smacks with the saw and cut above the mark.

U.P mich

That's an interesting measuring system. Perhaps I'll give that a try . I'm always looking for a faster more efficient way of doing things .  Tho it seems it may be difficult to judge more than one length.  I can cut 3 lengths with the stick I carry and if I must go longer which doesn't happen often. It's easy to measure  the next length.   How do you go about cutting various lengths with that measuring system?  As my standard lengths are 99".  104" and 128"   I have these all on the same stick .

U.P mich

I have a magnetic stick similar to that for cutting firewood. ThAt goes on the bar I find it works great for that.

barbender

Quote from: mike_belben on November 08, 2017, 09:37:47 AM
I think youre missing my question U.P.    ill rephrase.

When i haul in a load of fresh cut white oak sawlogs that scales 1300 board foot and weighs 23,000 lbs.. How many cord have i got?   Only way i can think to figure it out is cut/split/stack and count how many cord it makes.  I suppose if it was all one length of logs i could measure the bundle dimension and find cubic volume of the shape.

2 1/2-3 cords, weight is irrelevant. Roughly 500bf per cord.
Too many irons in the fire

snowstorm

Quote from: bushmechanic on November 08, 2017, 08:24:17 PM
We used to lug around a measuring stick, now we have the measure on the saw. It's great you never lose it and it's always with you.

i haven't seen a tail in years. back in the 4ft days around here everybody had one

Ed_K

I used to run a tail when I first started. It's just not Accurate enough it your bucking for grade.
Ed K

Crusarius

What about using a pole from a dome tent? The ones that fold up to I think 18" long? small, lightweight, can mark various lengths then unfold when needed.

Corley5

Depending on what I'm cutting I use either a 100" stick with a two foot mark on each end or a 126" stick with a 100" mark on each end.  Ironwood works the best but sugar maple is fine ;D  Bright paint on them makes them easier to keep track of.  I tried Spencers and never liked them.  The old Contractor Grade Stanleys worked better for me.

Thank You Sponsors!