iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band mill Router Plane

Started by Kbeitz, January 25, 2018, 01:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btulloh

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 12, 2018, 10:02:28 AMI thought about that but if your making your first cuts and your slab is warped on the bottom one end of the slab will raise when you move the clamps.

It's best to shim the bottom with some kind of wedges anyway.  Doesn't take but a minute to stick a couple shims under the high spots.

Climb-cutting produces good results, but hard to do if you're guiding it by hand because of the reasons you mentioned.  If it was CNC you could do it.  
HM126

Peter Drouin

Reply 129, You can put the clamp anywhere, can't you stop the cutter 2" from the ends? Won't you want to trim the ends when you're done?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 12, 2018, 12:25:22 PM
Reply 129, You can put the clamp anywhere, can't you stop the cutter 2" from the ends? Won't you want to trim the ends when you're done?
Sometime there is nothing at the ends to clamp to. Nothing under the slab.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: btulloh on March 12, 2018, 10:26:35 AMClimb-cutting produces good results, but hard to do if you're guiding it by hand because of the reasons you mentioned.  If it was CNC you could do it.

Nothing going to be done by hand. X Y Z all motorized.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

For my second clamp I think I'll use this....
It's something I found at the junkyard years ago and I really had no idea what it was until today.
I just have the snap action clamp sitting on top of it now. I will weld it in place. I got to make a foot for the one that's missing. I think I will put a thick rubber pad on the end of the foot to help.

Auto Body Push Pull Friction Jack.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

justallan1

Just some random thinking here.....
How would it work to take a beam of any size that your mill dogs and clamps can hold for you, like maybe a 4x12 that is proven square, place the board that you want to plane on top of that and use a piece of angle iron at each end with screws to hold it in place? It should take you less than 2 minutes to screw it down, your board that you are planning can be wider than your beam and it shouldn't matter unless you are trying to plane to well less than an inch, plus your boards to be planed don't have to be square. You could even run the planer on the beam that you use first to make sure it is guaranteed to be true.
The way I see things you wouldn't want to pull your board downward very much, if any, at all because if you pull a warp out of the board with your clamps it's going to show back up as soon as you release your clamps. The first side that you plane should be acting more a jointer, as in it's to make it flat. Then the second side should be true to the first.
Just my way of thinking. :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: justallan1 on March 12, 2018, 03:19:19 PM
Just some random thinking here.....
. :)
That would work. I could just run screws up through my bed with not much of a problem. I would just like it to be more professional. Thanks for the ideas.... 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

justallan1

Possibly that was a poor description on my part....
I just meant to clamp a wide beam onto your mill with your existing clamping system and lay the board to be planed on top of that and anchor them together with a couple pieces of angle iron and some screws. You wouldn't have to change anything on your mill, you won't have to screw anything to it and I'm willing to bet it would be as fast to set up as anything else.
When I plane something on my CNC router I use a 1" flat nose endmill and 2 to 4 wood slats with screws through them as clamps. I can plane something 37x50" and it stays put pretty darned good.
Some times "more professional" aint "more better"....poke poke, jab jab! ;D ;D ;D ;D
I can certainly understand making something how you want it and having fun in making something you can take extra pride in and I'm sure whatever you come up with is going to be very neat.

Kbeitz

I sorry ... What I said kinda sounds bad... You had a great idea. I might even try it if my clamp doesn't work. 
Professional not the word I needed to use. Faster a better word. I really do appreciate all your ideas. With the clamp I made it should be real fast to change from one size slab to another. I let you know how it works. My shop is around 1000 feet from my mill and I'm hoping I wont need to run to the shop for some screws and a driver. 

Thanks again.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

What does the wood wizz use?? 
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Peter Drouin

Your bed rails are on concrete? no room under them.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: starmac on March 12, 2018, 07:55:11 PM
What does the wood wizz use??
The Wood Wizz looked real simple.  The bed was 2x4s on the metal frame.  Then a short piece of what looked like plastic perhaps 4" wide, 1" thick (or less) and 6 or 8" long with somewhat sharpened ends.  They laid it like a brace between the 2x4 bed and the side of the slab.  Ran a screw through the middle into the 2x4 and done.
I don't think K has enough space on the sides of his slabs that he wants to process.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

Kbeitz

That's the first I've heard of Wood Wizz ... I did a screen capture of the hold down...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

In this clip they are using a metal bracket...

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I could do that but I do have some slabs that's going to use every inch of my space.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ed_K

Couple of heavy weights,one placed just past half way and when the cutter gets close place second weigh behind cutter and then pick up first weigh ?
Ed K

Kbeitz

Looks good... Now if it would just get above 31F.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

you said you had X and Y powered what about Z? do you have to program this or do you just hold a button until it is where you want?

starmac

Just curious, before you clamp it like that, do you shim it so it will have no movement side to side?

Kbeitz

Quote from: starmac on March 13, 2018, 05:00:13 PM
Just curious, before you clamp it like that, do you shim it so it will have no movement side to side?
One side is up touching the small log stops in the back. Nothing in the front. It clamps so tight that nothing moves by hand. Yet to try it running. The latching clamp is good for 850lbs locking.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Quote from: Crusarius on March 13, 2018, 04:44:03 PM
you said you had X and Y powered what about Z? do you have to program this or do you just hold a button until it is where you want?
X, Y. Z all done with switches. Both toggle and jog switches.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

Bits loaded and ready to go....

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Kbeitz

I can't wait until a nice day to try it out. It has been a very busy place around here lately.
Wife is off to Spain today for a vacation with her sister. 
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!