iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Working on a map display case for the church.

Started by SwampDonkey, July 17, 2007, 06:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I've been working on a map display case for the community church. The maps are of the community and consist of land grant maps showing the original homesteaders. The maps will be photostatic copies from old documents in the archives. The old copies have gone moldy from sitting in damp basements for the last 20 + years. It's meant to be part of the history of community. The church is having a get together this August to celebrate the community. Our church is over 100 years old and has been completely refurbished over the years including a wheel chair ramp.

So far, I came up with a 'core' frame for the case. I made it from pine because it needs to be light. I'm using screws and glue on the corners and dowel the counter sinked screw holes. They will be from below and on top, out of view. I'm going to put a birch back on it, which won't be seen since it's against the way and the inside face will be lined with masonite so pins can be used to mount the maps. I hate the idea of taping maps, the tape gets old and turns yellow and brown and the adhesive breaks down. The case will be glassed in and will have a hinged door to open. I want to make the frame of the door out of ash and the attachment point on the case needs to be ash or a 'hard' wood for strength. I want to add some hardwood mouldings of different colors. So far I thought of butternut and cherry to accent the piece. I think I'll put a scrolled arch along the top and maybe get a couple of those molded leaves and a flower you can buy. I 'might' try a couple wood burning designs for the sides, something simple. Still have to think about that.

Anyone ever make a display case before?

I'll post pictures as I progress.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

blaze83

sounds like a fun project, any time we do something for the house of the Lord or His people only good can come of it. looking forward to seeing some pic's

blaze83
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Tom

If the Maps are valuable, or have the potential of being valuable, you should visit your local library or University and ask about sealing them in an inert gas that would inhibit ageing problems.  Your Government Archives might even be willing to help you with it.

That being the case, your decision to display copies is a good one.

I would certainly be conserned about moisture, ultra-violet light and theft, at the very least.

SwampDonkey

This is the core of the frame/case. It's 4" wide white pine. 24" x 36" outside dimensions.

This is the back, made of birch. It is inlaid into the pine. I don't think it would be difficult to pin tacks into this, so I won't bother with the masonite board.

Here I'm working on facing the pine frame with 3" wide ash. It has a 7/8" overlap that will face some butternut trim. I bicuited the corners. The glassed door will be framed with ash and mounted to this. I will brace the face to the frame with some ash.

Just adding some different woods and trying not to make it too heavy.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pigman

I made four display cases last winter for a customer. They were made out of some antique walnut he furnished. He is going to display antique objects he had obtained from his grandparents and great grandparents. I made the door frame using rail and style bits and cut away the back for the glass to fit. When I went to purchase the glass, the glass man recommended safety glass because of the danger of regular glass breaking and injuring someone. That stuff is expensive for custom sizes, around $ 5 a square foot I think. He wanted the inside done in flocking. First time I did any flocking. ::) Two of the cases were 3' x4' x 3" deep and two were 3'x 4' x5'' deep.

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Radar67

Bob, how about splaining the flocking process in a new thread?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pigman

Radar, I will just steal Swampy's thread. ;D Flocking is when you paint on a special colored adhesive and blow or spray on Sued-Tex fibers of the desired color. The finished product is like a velvety finish. I got the materials from woodcraft.com.

Bob the flocker

Radar67

What do you use to blow the fibers with?

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

pigman

"What do you use to blow the fibers with?"    A flocker of course. ;D   I purchased a mini flocker from woodcraft  for $5.50. For small projects a person can just sprinkle the fibers on the project and after the adhesive dries, blow off the excess fibers. The process is very easy and especially good for small odd shaped areas . On large areas the adhesive can dry before a person can get the fibers applied. :(

Bob

SwampDonkey

I just get a glue and some velvet and apply. Gotta be careful the glue does not come through. :D ;) Mostly what I used it on was the base of bowls so it don't mark other furniture, like the coffee table when someone scoots it over to his friend to look at.  ;)

mike_van

Bob, next time just get one of those big velvet things of Elvis & glue it in there - Save a lot of time, huh?  :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Well here is where I'm at. I just wiped her down with a sponge and water.

All wiped down with damp sponge and ready for the finish.  ;D

Handle and latch I used.

Supports for top S-curve. The curve is free hand. ;)

metalspinner

Awsome! 8) 8)

That sure is a nice piece of work.  Did I miss how you will hang it?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thurlow

That's great!!!  Do you notice that the things that bring you the most pleasure are the things you do for your church or for those who can't do for themselves?  (Disclaimer.............maybe one has to reach a certain age for that to be true)  :)
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

SwampDonkey

Well, with any luck I'll bolt her to a couple studs and through the back. It's about 30 lbs in weight. I used pine, butternut and ash. The S-curve is butternut and there is a 7/8" x 1-3/8" molding along the back edge of butternut. The face and door is ash. The box is pine.

Now, to get new maps from the archive folks and mount them inside.  :)

mike_van

SD, when you make glass doors, do you do it so you can replace the glass if it gets broken?  The cabinet does look good!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

SwampDonkey

Mike, yes I do. The glass will sit on an inlay about 3/16" deep and 1/4" wide on the inside of the door. It's held in place with plastic clips. You could also use your own home made wooden ones. The glass in this piece is 5 mm thick.

I have made a couple doors with grooved slots in the door. I don't do that any longer. But, I have not made many glassed doors either.

I think I may use a chain on the door as well, so the door is not opened too wide, possibly breaking a hinge or ripping the hinges off. One never knows how rough someone will use his stuff.  ::)

Mooseherder

SwampDonkey

I already have two coats of finish on. I'll add one more and put the glass in the door. Then, I'll show my uncle to see where he wants it installed. I'll have to sign and date her when I'm done. ;)

WDH

Nice piece of work, SD.  I like the complementary grains of the woods ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!