iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Caskets . . . . .

Started by TexasTimbers, October 18, 2007, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Coffins. I don't know the difference. Anyone ever built one? I have one started but not finished. I think it's a good business to get into and have been gearing up for it since last year. My market is going to be those who don't want and can't afford those black lacquer $2000 - $3000 monstrosities. Mine are all going to be simple ERC caskets with optional lining. I noticed some casket companies these days offer "Optional innerspring adjustable mattress." ! What's up with that!

Tuesday I was a Pall Bearer for one of my neighbors. My favorite neighbor. Earl Doyle 81 years young. Lived on his tractor sunup to sundown. He knew I was going to be building caskets and saw the one I have in progress, and wanted to be buried in one of them. I wish I had gotten it done. I didn't have the heart to bring it up. I could have worked overtime through the night and next day and finished it but I just couldn't bring the topic up to the family. They had enough on their mind. It is not one I am building for anyone in particular, just getting this first design down. A prototype.

Anyhoo, didn't mean to get sad on yoos all - so has anyone ever built one ???

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Furby

Do a search here, we have a couple of good threads on the subject someplace. :)

flip

I kinda like the one Pope John Paul was burried in.  Simple and nice dove tailed ends.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Furby on October 18, 2007, 02:58:36 PM
Do a search here, we have a couple of good threads on the subject someplace. :)

Duh. I guess I assumed again that I was the first to think of making a casket. ::)

Furby

Got a pretty high opinion of yer self eh?
;D ;D ;D

TexasTimbers

Hey that search turned up a world of info Furbster. Ain't done reading it yet got it bookmarked.

I have quite a bit of info myself if anyone in the future has a question. Not claiming to be an expert by any means but I might have some useful info.

I'll add my pics to the mix when I Get R' Done. :)

Furby

I'd be looking to read what you have to say. :)
Tips, tricks, and other informed info is a good thing for those of us coming up behind you.
I've been meaning to build some caskets myself, just haven't found my roundtoit. :-\

Fla._Deadheader

This is for Kelvin.

"Cypress, The Eternal Wood".  Look it up. Many Caskets built from Cypress  8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

TexasTimbers

Know whatchya mean bout the roundtuit. I have mine allright it is just that I have about worn it down to nothin.

Okay I wasn;t gonna say nuttin yet but I have been stuck at the dovetailed corners. My corners at one end are 95, or 85, dependin on how you wanna call it. Handcutting those are a nightmare. They look "okay" but I am not happy. So I have to either go to a rectangle design or skip the dovetails and although I wanted it to remain simple, I do like the dovetails even though I have not looked up the popes casket I already had decided on it.

I cannot get back to thecasket for a little while but when I do I'll snap a few pics.

I also have bookmarked many sources for the lining kits and hardware, and I did not realize why they use the adjustable mattress until I read it in the archives last hour.

I have a source for them too but I just never paid them any mind so skipped over the details of them. I might have to offer them as an option if I ever do this on any scale.

I also have alot of legal info for Texas and also alot of federal laws bookmarked.

getoverit

It is kind of like taking out the trash... somebody has to do it. People in the funeral business are making a lot of money. One thing is for sure, it is a guarantgeed business.

There was a spot on the TV show "How it's made" recently about wooden coffins. I thought it was pretty interesting. People are dieng to get into them!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

TexasTimbers

And recession proof. In fact, the business would increase during a recession/depression. Cheaper caskets would be more in vogue. :)

I know I sound like I am only interested in it for the money but that is not the case. I thinkg we ought to have a return to local casket makers. It would make it a difficult time a little more easier for the many people who have to fork over big bucks for even "cheap" caskets.

An ERC casket is gorgeous, and affordable.

Texas Ranger

I will make it easier for you, PET COFFINS, folks pay good money to put Rusty, the dog, or Puss, the cat, down with a coffin for the kids to gather around.  Small, easy, and sell.  No spring mattresses needed.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

TexasTimbers

I already noticed that too. I just have no interest in it. Money or not.

TexasTimbers

I did buy cedarcaskets.com a while back so I guess I am somewhat serious. I thought about redcedarcaskets.com as well, and it is still available but I thought cedarcaskets was easier. cedarcoffins.com is still availaible too but I think casket has a better sound than coffin.

People are laid to rest in caskets, and vampires live in coffins.

metalspinner

Funeral homes give people hard times about caskets bought outside their funeral home.  My FIL was a funeral director for many years.  He even owned a casket co. for a bit of time.  When my wife's grandfather died, FIL sent down a casket for us , but the local funeral home put up a big stink about it.  We had to fight for the right to use it.  
Here in TN, the state passed a law that funeral homes had to accept caskets other than there own.

I saw that show on Discovery channel.  I was very surprised at the shoddy woodworking being do, actually.  For the amount of money being spent on the thing, I would have expected better. ::)  Guess it's time to get busy and make my own.

Here's a tip... Make the bottom extra strong...just in case. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Yeah and who wants a sealed casket when it will just turn you to sludge. From the dust we came and to the dust we ought to go. I never read where the Word says "Ashes to ashes, dust to sludge and slime...." :o

metalspinner

Oh, yeah...
The Leigh dovetail jig can cut angled dovetails.  I haven't done that yet, but I'm sure it can be routine once you figure it out.  It can handle up to 24" wide.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

On 8/4 material? My ERC caskets are 2" thick.

hiya

I'm on my third casket. Neighbor man in first. Natural oak.Mother in law in second, Maple. The one now is popular. Both funeral homes were small and didn't care. The one ask if I had any bus cards. My shop isn't big enough to go into it full time. In a couple of years I want to sell this place and move where prices are more reasonable. Put up a shop that I can build caskets full time.  :o wait a minute I'm almost old enough to retire. That will happen when I die. :D
Richard 
RichardinMd.

TexasTimbers

Our funeral costs will be minimal, with proper planning. ;)

flip

I will build a casket for myself for the "showing" then they can put me in the oven and turn me back into dust and bury the dust in the casket so it done "by the book". ;)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Dave Shepard

TT, I think you should do it. I know people in that line of work, and the markup is unreal. I don't care what they charge for the real work, that is a different story, and well earned I'm sure,  but the other stuff is just crazy. I'm not surprised they put up a fuss about an outside casket, that's a lot of easy money they have to give up. No caskets for me though, just a nice hot fire. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TexasTimbers

Dave, if people who want to be cremated ever attend one first, IMO most of them would have already changed their mind before it was over and when they left they would go out and buy a casket.

Maybe you have attended one and it didn't phase you but when I say most of them I think I am right. it is a stench that alone will change your mind. And the morbidity of the process too is just creepy.

Plus from what I gather, the city will have to charge your family a fuel surcharge to burn up your troll-sized frame. :D

asy

I'll rider this by saying I'm not trying to offend anyone, and sorry in advance if I do.

I really like the recycled cardboard ones that can have pictures on them. You can choose a Printed one or have your own photos printed on it. I can't find the Aussie site that does the really nice caskets, sorry...

I like the idea of a big cardboard box, with a couple of packs of textas, and everyone can come and write their goodbyes on the box! Then burn the whole DanG lot.

I'm afraid I don't see the sense in 'wasting' nice timber and good real estate on bodies. I guess I prefer other ways to remember and venerate our departed loved ones.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

TexasTimbers

I can understand that viewpoint for sure.  I have some personal reasons not to like cremation but it's not one of those deals where I am dead against it. har har.

In one of my woodworking mags years back they did a spread on caskets that were built on some Caribbean island that were absolute works of art. It is part of their culture. For example one casket was the shape of a big fish and painted as such. The craftsmanship and the artistry was marvelous.

Thinking  back on it, I believe this was probably what promted me to want to build caskets too. I don't have the ability to make them like those in the article, but I also don't think they would do very well here in the Bible Belt either. :D

They sure were beautiful to my eye though. Those card board casket in your link look a heckuva lot better to me than the traditional black and silver run of the mill that most people go down in though. Run of the mill or not they are not priced that way eh?

Thank You Sponsors!