iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Splitting A Large Pin Oak

Started by GF, November 10, 2008, 08:52:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GF

I had a large pin oak show up last week, the large end is 54" across and the smaller end is around 44" across the length is 11'.   I need to split the log in quarters and needing information on the best way to do this.  One of the saws I have is a Jonsered 2095 Turbo with a 20" bar and ripping chain.  My thoughts are to get a 32" or 36" bar and ripping chain and split the log.  About 3/4 of the way up the log it had a couple of large branches that branched out, which may cause it to be hard to split with any type of wedges. Any information is greatly appreciated.

GF

Tom

I've split a lot of logs that size with a 20" bar.  Use the heart check to determine the direction of splitting.  Cut a kerf as deep as you can and as straight as you can from one end to the other. You can use a string to make a mark to follow.

Make some gluts and see if you can get it to split, or roll it over and make another kerf on the other side, lining the two kerfs up.  Then use gluts to finish the splitting.

Depending on the mill you are putting it on, you might just trim the side(s) to fit the mill and then put it on the mill to break it the rest of the way down.  Splitting down the middle isn't always the best approach. :)

derhntr

I have used Black Powder a few times on large Red and white oaks logs works well. Cut a straight line 10" deep along the log where you want it to split.  Bore 3, 1 inch holes 1/3 the depth of the log 1 in the center and 1 each 2 foot in from the ends in the saw cut.  I use a auger bit.  I am not going to suggest how much powder to use. (I used 2oz per hole) add cannon fuse tamp in dry rags tightly to fill bore holes  Adjust fuses for lighting 1st the longest last the shortest.  Doesnt not hurt to test burn a couple inches to get a burn time. Light and run :D  Log should just split and lay beside each other. Good luck
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Hi-Country Orange

derhntr, it would cool to see a video of that.   8)

Banjo picker

I believe I would pay to see that...sure would be better than the county fair...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Banjo picker

That was entertaining, It took about 20 or 30 min to download, as I probably got about the slowest unit on here, but that was worth it....But I believe I would try a jack or portapower instead, they would be dangerous enough for me...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

zopi

it's kind of fun...But I want lots of room around me when I do it...and something heavy to get behind...

this one is fun too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaZDMF9Btic
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

derhntr

Think they are using a lot more powder than me :o Not much to see when I have done it a puff of smoke and a muffled boom and no flying chunks
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

backwoods sawyer

I have used a saw with an 18" bar and a pair of hydraulic jacks to quarter Black oak. Like Tom stated get the hart check oriented correctly, Some logs are better cut in thirds so if it splits off to one side just cut the big half in half.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Faron

I have found if the grain has twist or limbs, the black powder  isn't the way to go. You will end up with too much waste and short boards.  Straight grain big logs are fine.  It is a lot faster than chain sawing, and definitely a lot more fun. 8)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

GF

Think I will split with a chainsaw, since the customer bought the log I hate to blow it to pieces.  Would it be easier to split with a ripping chain or a standard chain?   In the past I had split logs with a normal chain and was curious if the ripping chain may kickback more than a standard or even cut better than a standard? 

treebucker

I've got the feeling this is the typical outcome  :D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIhJnqyey8U&NR

I takes them 1/2 the video to get the charges right but here's a powder wedge in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UngMpN35SX4&mode=related&search=

Redneck log splitting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yztqNkzLItg&mode=related&search=

Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

urbanlumberinc

I now know what I'll be up to tommorow

Thank You Sponsors!