iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old single sided planer rebuild

Started by Quebecnewf, August 21, 2017, 05:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

I have heard that said a few times as well. I think kickback can be traced to two causes. Improperly set up planer and or feeding stock with too great a thickness difference.
Just because a planer of this type can hog of a1/4" of wood at a time does not mean  you should do so . As I'm feeding lumber into my planers now I am always feeling the thickness as I handle each board. If I feel a thick one it gets tossed aside to be fed in its own later. I am only planing the lumber I saw and I watch my sawing carefully .

Never had kickback yet . Hopefully with good setup, good sawing , and good feeding habits ( no standing behind a board ) I can avoid this problem .

Quebecnewf

Also looking into installing anti kickback Pawls as a safety add on .

muggs

I suffered a kickback from a square head planer. It gave me a compound fracture of my arm. I was in the hospital for a week. I would not use a square machine.   :(   Muggs

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Quebecnewf

Quote from: muggs on September 04, 2017, 09:53:14 AM
I suffered a kickback from a square head planer. It gave me a compound fracture of my arm. I was in the hospital for a week. I would not use a square machine.   :(   Muggs

Very sorry to hear that., Now that the incident is over and looking back . What caused the kickback? Operator error . Improperly set up machine ? Something else ?

As we know these machines were used for many years and I am sure there were accidents as there still is today with new " modern " machines

Quebecnewf

Kbeitz

There is a place in Williamsport pa. that will make you a spiral head for you
for that machine.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

muggs

I set up the planer when I was young and dumb. I set the knife projection too far, taking too big of a bite. Once the board got past the front feed roller nothing was holding it. The board came out at the speed of the cutterhead. The difference between the square and the round cutter head is, the round is self limiting, where the square head is not. The same machine also threw a knife, breaking the table.

Quebecnewf

The set up is very important on these machines. If you do something wrong they do not forgive . That being said this wil be my first square head so I am carefully studying all the aspects of proper setup.

Do you know the cause of the thrown knife?

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Quote from: Kbeitz on September 04, 2017, 12:22:30 PM
There is a place in Williamsport pa. that will make you a spiral head for you
for that machine.
Can you send a link . It might be worth checking that out

Quebecnewf

muggs

I believe the thrown knife was caused by using it past its prime. Too short. Another reason for not liking square heads, is the noise. They do not cut through the air like a round cylinder does.    Muggs

Quebecnewf

Now that is strange . It was my understanding that square heads were the quiet ones. If I am correct there was a video on YouTube showing this. I am sure there will be some of the learned folks on this forum who will chime in on this .

So without being too judgemental both problems with the unsafe square head were caused by human error.

Quebecnewf

Ljohnsaw

I could see the square head making a bit more wind noise but round or square, a straight blade is going to make more noise in the wood.  The advantages of a spiral head is it will take less power to make a cut and, with the right design, changing the blade is cheaper.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Andries

My old Yates 199 jointer, 2000 lbs. round head has two blades on Babbit bearings.
When I looked into the spiral head conversion, the prevailing thought was that more power was needed because more "cutting edge" was in the wood at any given moment.
I haven't searched here on the FF, but if memory serves, it was a discussion about Grizzly planers, spiral heads and the amount of power needed before and after a conversion.
I've decided to leave my jointer the way it is, 'cause the babbits are in good shape and will probably outlast me.

Quebecnewf, this may deserve some looking into as you pick a motor to drive the planer.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

I just do not see a spiral head in my future for this machine. I am going to use it as the first pass machine in dressing out rough lumber after that it goes to the three sided planer.

My next big thing is getting the belting in order. Looking now on line for flat belts and an engine to drive it.

Quebecnewf

Quebecnewf

Got her all rebuilt . Just waiting for a new engine . Should have that today and a couple of new v pulleys .

Will, most likely move her by floating dock to the sawmill site in the next few weeks before the weather gets too cold .

My plan is to do a test run in front of my workshop before the move to be sure everything works . Will try to get a small video and post that.

Overall very pleased with this project . Have what I think is a good old tool. Saved it from the scrap heap . Total money invested about 1500.00 . Most of that was for the new engine .

Quebecnewf

fishfighter

You did a fine job bring that back to life.

rasman57

Well done!  The pleasure derived from doing a working restoration on old iron is ongoing.....you get to save a great vintage piece that would otherwise be gone forever and you get a wonderful tool useful for more generations.  Anyone with funds can go buy something new.... it takes a special interest to save and restore some vintage iron.  Looks good.

Dan_Shade

What is your engine plan?

I picked up a 24" American planer.

I have a long term plan of putting it on a trailer with a small engine to power it.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Quebecnewf

f

Planning to use this new 15 hp Lifan engine. A knockoff of an Honda I guess. I have read mostly good things about them .

I am planning to mount it above the planer on a sort of step ladder wooden set of bedding . I guess a picture will be needed to explain this . I will post it once I get it built. So far it is just a pic  in my head, and it's not a clear pic.

Quebecnewf

Dan_Shade

I'm trying to figure out how to make a chip blower part of it too.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don P

Man, that looks nice, good job.
On the kickback, we had an old 1904 square head machine in one shop I worked in and it did shatter a friends hand as he was feeding multiple sticks and had his hand on the end of one pushing it in when it kicked back.
These machines usually had a solid front feed roller as opposed to sectional feed. A solid feed roller climbs up on top of the thickest point and is holding only at that point, side to side it might be able to feed from 2 points since the roller is sliding up and down at each end. a sectional feed roller has essentially multiple feed wheels floating on a driveshaft, every inch or so a spring loaded feed wheel section can drop down and adjust to a different thickness. Solid infeed is fine for one board at a time but if you feed in several sticks and one is thin... don't be surprised if it comes back out of the machine. My friend was rough planing 2x2 sticks, the planer had a 24" wide mouth and he was keeping several sticks going. When we realized the feed rate this knocked us back to they got a new old planer, moved up bout 50 years to one with sectional feed and we could again feed multiple sticks at a time. Anyway, that was a roundabout way of saying in a kickback like those the square head might be partially responsible but the feed and the way it is fed are also part of it.

Peter Drouin

And John Deere colors to boot.  Nice Job, smiley_clapping
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Quebecnewf

Now in the process of trying to fab up an A frame over the planer . The drive engine will go where the pulley sets . Once I get it finished that is .

Meanwhile we are finishing up the last of our logs and getting them dressed out and ready to deliver.

A load of mostly 2x material sawed,planed and butted for a customer

Quebecnewf

47sawdust

As always, your work ethic is impressive.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Andries

Quebecnewf - are the triangle shaped stacks the way you air dry your lumber?
. . . and is the A frame for shipping the planer to the mill site?
Keep the photos ands post coming - very interesting !
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!