iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got tired of the poulan saws

Started by oldsaw-addict, March 06, 2004, 01:49:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw-addict

I've had more than enough of the poulan chainsaw that I own and I finally did something about the problem. I took the little sob out and smashed it into about 10 million little pieces of metal plastic and rubber with my sledge hammer.you would not believe how pathetic and weak that thing was, the crankshaft just broke into about 10 or 20 pieces, the whole saw itself is a pile of junk in a hole. I had too much trouble with this saw got REALLY mad and happend to have a hammer nearby, I waited for about a month to see if the saw would straighten itself out and it didnt so I figured its time to just smash it and buy a good STihl like a 009 or something like that for firewood cutting and tree trimming. I'd almost swear I go through more saws than anyone else out there. Oh well, Ifeel better now that I've taken out many years of frustration and irritation on that little pile of parts. I do have to admit though it was pretty cool to see the cylinder fly in a million directions at once when the sledge hit it. I'll most likely visit the Stihl dealer on monday and check put a new better saw for the money, Id like to have a light wieght with fewer issues of reliabilty.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Jeff

Don't I remember you having a birthday just recently? That makes you what now, 19 or 20, maybe even 21?  Still young enough to make posts like this I guess. I just sent that hat out I promised you. Do me a favor, when you are going to make a post like this, dont wear it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oldsaw-addict

Sorry Jeff, I kind of got carried away after destroying that thing, so much adrenaline in my veins I didnt realise what I was doing. Maybe I should see if theres a pill for that, something like a maturity pill :D BTW, Until further notice I'll be away from the forum and fixing my saws.

redpowerd

box up them parts and send them my way
IM me for my address
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Blue9R

LOL, Oldsaw, we all know this level of frustration.

Here is a true story:

The cops in a Milwaukee suburb received a call regarding gunshots in a residential neighborhood.  Officers were dispatched to an address & knocked on the front door to find out what was going on.

The homeowner had gotten so frustrated while trying to repair his clothes washer that he pushed it out the front door & emptied six shot from a revolver into the washer right there on the front lawn.

The officers started laughing & said "While we understand, we still have to issue you a citation for discharging a firearm."

The cops couldn't stop laughing through out the whole process of writing the ticket & returning to the station!

We all understand & have experienced this type of frustration.

Mike

Jeff

I gotta say that a cop that found something like that funny has a problem. Emptying a gun on ANYTHING in frustration shows a serious problem. In a residential neighborhood?  That Cop needs some training.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Danny_S

I put a drain pipe hole in my camp with a 12 guage shotgun one time, fired a shot, tried the pipe, didnt fit so I backed up a little farther and shot again. wasnt quite right so I trimmed the edges with a 22.  Best make shift hole-saw I ever used. Loud though.

As for the poulans, that's all I have ever done with them is poull-on em and poull-on em... The name's appropriate.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Frickman

I've heard that a Poulan makes a great boat anchor. Just remember to leave it there when you're done fishing.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

johnjbc

Why are you guys always picking on poulan saws ::) ::). They must be doing something right they have been in business a long time and sell way more saws than their expensive competition 8) 8) .  I bought a  poulan (Sears branded) in the seventies  and It kept me in fire wood for twenty years and still runs today.  I don't own a  Mercedes-Benz  or a Porsche but still get to work every day.
 Anyone else willing to admit owning one? :D ;D
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

rebocardo

I have a Poulan 2375 (called "Wildthing"). I was not too crazy about the purple on the bar and if it was bright yellow or something other than green it might be easier to find when I set it down.

Other than that and leaking oil when it is very hot, it has made me much more money then my Husky 365. The 365 was in the shop for 26 days (19+7) when it was only a month or so old.

I bought it for $139 and have put well over 50 hours on it. Plus, add to that how many hours it takes to cut six cords of firewood. It was my "rescue" saw when my Husky 365 failed in the middle of cutting down a 36" oak. Rescue it did.

When trimming down trees and cutting small pieces of firewood, it is my saw of choice, I use it a lot more then my Husky or electric chain saws. The carrying case was a big plus, very easy to have everything I need in the case, oil, extra chains, even a wedge or two, put in the front seat and go. The small kerf and safety chain is a big plus when trimming branches and cutting up down trees.

$139, agile, and no failure that prevents me from working, plus, I still have over 1 year left on the two year warranty. I consider it the VW of chainsaws. By the time the warranty is up, I probably will have 200+ hours on it.  Anytime you can buy equipment that costs less then $1 an hour while you charge $20 is a worthwhile buy.

I do clean my bar, true the bar, flip the bar, sharpen the chains, give it a very good cleaning, disassemble and clean, clean the air filter, and lube anything that looks like it might need it about every eight hours of use. I clean the spark plug every once in a while since I like to run 35:1 to 40:1 on it.

Tom

Those Wild Things are  really popular here.  The older set seems to pride themselves in the colors.  Everywhere I go there is a purple and chartreuse Wild Thing somewhere near.  they always seem to run and get the job done.  I don't know about their longivity but they sure make for a happy workplace.  You wouldn't believe the joking and and kidding that goes on when a Wild Thing gets pulled out.  Even the owner gets in on it. Matter of fact the owner is usually the one to start the ribbing. :D

steveo_1

Guys if my dad seen this post he might smash the computer he has always bought Poulan and also a Wild Thing owner he has had it a few years, cut alot of wood with and only thing that has happened to it is the pull cord broke.Has anyone tried the new orange Poulan Pros yet???My brother bought a small one but hasnt had it long enough to see how it holds up.I was thinking about buying a large one to cut some logs with and cut some logs down to fit the mill but not sure if they will hold up well,not a bad price on em though.
got wood?

Randall

I've got a Craftsman 18" that's probably 15 years old. I don't know if it's really a Poulan or not. It's still going strong. Maybe I'll look at the Poulans also since I'm in need of something a little bigger. :P

tawilson

I have a Poulan/Sears saw which is a running lil son of a gun. Sometimes it's nice to put down the Stihl and Husky and grab that light saw. I even use the same 50:1 mix I use in all my equipment. I think it's supposed to be 32:1 but I've been doing it for over a year now, and the saw was well used when I got it.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

tony_marks

i would sriously advise the original poster to try an pick up an good condition 028..
  as to those that like poulkans.. its knowing u tool.. but ive tried the 2750 twice and took it back both times..
 as to the fello needeing help that crushed his poulan washingmachine or what ever.. im about to get old enuff to just walk off fromum .. but ive mutilated various machines in my day..
 is just the irish in me. proud of every drop of the irish blood..
 but it does have to learn patience.. its the secrete of repair work..
 take u time an redo untilu get it rite.. but why not expend all that restraint energy on a quality tool. like i say my recommendation is an 028 an 2 aspirins ever morning.. one cold beer in the evenings.. :)

oldsaw-addict

I'd much rather have the Stihl 028 over that little 40cc poulan any day. Maybe I should buy a dozer and sell crushed poulans as damaged merchandise on ebay. :D

travelr64

"I waited for about a month to see if the saw would straighten itself out and it didnt so I figured its time to just smash it"

Well, you can git yerself a Stihl.  Great saws, but if you handle the maintenance and repair on it the same way you did the Poulan, you'll be smashing it also.

I just picked up a Poulan 3050 on ebay for $60.  It was really dirty when it got here, and looked like the chain had never been filed.  After cleaning it up (especially the plugged air filter), it started after 3 pulls, and runs real strong.  Probably the best deal I ever got on a chainsaw.

Good Luck
Coop
""Now look what you've gotten us into ! ! !

tony_marks

almost bought an 3400 at the flea the other day..
  it was old and had a plate on it that indicated emerson electric.
 made it. i was impressed with the solid construction an such.. but ,,id rather have that old saw than any geen poulan being sold at lowes now.this wasnt an lux saw. id like to see it setting beside an 2750 or such that lowes is selling now. that way u could show just what lux did to an good product of bygone yrs...they cheapened every thing on it ..
  ps by the way old saw ,i got an 009 if u really interested in one.

EquineGuy

Hi there!  Stumbled across this board and found it quite resourcefull... so I'd figure I'd chime in a bit.

Bought my 3800 at Sears in 1991 and I have run it quite hard, well over 3000 trees and lost track of running hours.  Wore the original laminated 20" bar out in a couple years, bought a Canadian made solid steel replaceable sprocket tip from the Amish folks in MD and that has lasted to this day ( it is quite worn though ).
I think the biggest problem I ever had was replacing the clutch 1x and sprocket 2x.  The biggest problem was flooding it when I'd forget to flick the 'on' switch on.
I just cleared an acre last month and ate some chains up, but still runs as strong as ever after 13 years, and just bought a 28" Windsor bar for it. Ohh lordy, what a turn on!! 8) No doubt I will be at the firehouse with it showing it off.
Does leak a little bar oil after hard useage, but probably not more than than a quarter once while chilling on its warm, cozy shelf. ;D

Would I get another??  Not sure, based on what I have read and how they make them these days, definatly would not be a new one.... but I'd get an older one in a heartbeat.
( Although I dream of the Stihl .88 with a 84" bar.... is this normal? )

Well, Guess I should stop now.

Poulan 3800 28" blade... errr ummm bar.

DanManofStihl

I had a poulan 2375 wildthing It was always a bear to start Had to pull it for 20 minutes eveytime the first time I got it I pulled that thing for two days after work to try to get it running. I burned up the oiler working one day didn't notice so it burned up the bar and chain to so I went and got a stihl farm boss best saw for the money almost like it as much as I do my 036 nothing can touch my 066 though.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

EquineGuy

I have only seen 1 'wildthing' saw out there in action, and the poor fireguy got ridiculed to no end.  Surrounded by a sea of orange and red saw.... and here comes the fashion saw. Must be a guy thing.  Although, he was gitn-r-done.

DanManofStihl

I thought the fire guys got to use the companys saws my boss wont let me run my own saw even though I want to because it would blow all od the other saws away.

EquineGuy

For the most part, they don't care.  Usually there is no need to bring my own saw, there is a sea of Stihls there, from the 029 to the 044.  
Until you have the Isabel type storm, then the saw to person ratio is way off, that is where saws start growing on trees.
If I know we have the chance to get some good wind, I will bring mine and carry it with me.
Just gotta watch out for all the 50:1 mix floating around, and your one jug of 40:1 nectar.

Dean Hylton

I do not advicating buying anything other than Stihl or Husqvarna mostly because of the service shops and for the resale value.  a little secret though: Poulan, jonsered, craftsman, john deere, and a few others are all owned by electrolux (Husqvarna) and many of the parts come from the same suppliers and interchange with each other. Not all parts but quite a few do. :-X  shush don't tell anyone.

EquineGuy

Luckily, all the parts are still made for mine, all the way down to the stickers.
But I did not know that about the manufacturing thing....  that might explain why the Husky bar fit my bar to an exact T.!!

Good knowledge tip there!!

beenthere

And I thought the Deere saws were made by an Italian mfg since the days of Homelite.  Shows that what I thought I knew, I maybe didn't.  ;)

I pay too little attention, as I don't get any further than Stihl, tho' the Deere dealer I occasionaly help at seems to have satisfied saw customers with this line.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanManofStihl

Not that big fan of a john deere chainsaw see to many returned to homedepot and them siting in the half price bin see some echos in their to but not as many as poulan deere and homelite (those are the only four brands of saw they sell.)
I would personally rather get a stihl chainsaw my self you get what you pay for.

Thank You Sponsors!