iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

272XP Will Not Idle

Started by bill747, September 17, 2004, 03:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill747

When cleaning up after Ivan today, my Husky let me me down. The saw was difficult to start and would only run on wide open throttle.

The saw ran well about 4 weeks ago, but this morning the engine would die within a few seconds after releasing the throttle. At wide open throttle, it cuts normally.

I replaced the spark plug, air filter, fuel filter and refilled with fresh gas but the problem did not improve. I need the saw in the morning to remove a tree from a house but do not want to run wide open while standing on a steep roof.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

kenskip1

Bill, Sounds to me like the low speed side of the carb is out of adjustmant..Just curious, how is the compresion?Appearantly some dirt has accumulated on the low speed jet. I am no Husky man (Yet) but I would carefully remove the adjustmant screw, (closest to cylinder) and spray some carb cleaner inside the hole. Be careful with this stuff and your eyes.Look at the end of the mixture screw and make sure it is clean.I do not have the proper adjustmant setting for your saw but simply screw the needle all the way in , Without Force, and back it off a turn and a half.Hopefully this will get you into the ball park.  Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Kevin

Check for an air leak in the crankcase seals and intake manifold.

bill747

I'll try cleaning and adjusting the low speed screw. Judging by resistance when starting, compression is normal. The saw only has about 30 hours of run time.

How do I check for air leaks?

Thanks,

Bill

Kevin

There are different methods, one is to spray carb cleaner around the seals while the engine is running and listen for a change in the engine.
Pressure testing is another method.

Be careful of fire and have a fire extinguisher handy.

Thank You Sponsors!