iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Trip to Alaska Starts

Started by Qweaver, May 24, 2014, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We are back at my cousins home in Addy, WA.  It was a 2 hour wait at the border to get thru customs.  I am amazed at how high the cost of living is in Alaska and Canada!  We've had a great time visiting friends and traveling thru the wilderness but the cost was astounding. I get so much more bang for the buck in the lower 48.  $6 per gal diesel and $60 camping sites can quickly upset the budget. Alaska and Canada have many beautiful places to visit...but so do most of the states in the lower 48.  We loved it but one trip will do us.  So it's on to Glacier and Yellowstone. 
QL
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

reride82

I was in Glacier last weekend! The east side of the 'going to the sun road' is pretty tore up, but the west side is new and awesome, I highly recommend it! We also did a day hike by two medicine lake, which was nice since it's a little off the beaten path and fewer people. Do you know which direction you're headed through Glacier? Any other plans in Montana? Bison Range between Flathead Lake and Missoula, The ringing rocks east of Butte is cool but the road was in bad shape the last I was up there, Lewis and Clark Caverns are neat and on the way to Yellowstone, as are Norris Hot Springs, and Red Rocks Wildlife refuge is west of West Yellowstone. Have fun and enjoy Montana's construction season  :D
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

scsmith42

Sounds like it has been quite the trip!  Am looking forward to seeing some photo's.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sawguy21

I agree with the high cost of fuel :'( but where were you camping for 60 bucks a night?  Any we have stayed at range from 28 to 35 dollars.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Qweaver

The first RV parks we called were $50 to $66 on the Spit near Homer.  They were full hookups with showers.  Most of the ones we stayed at were $25 to $35 with electric only or you had to pay for the shower.  We did stay at a lot of free sites, church yards, Walmarts etc.  Fuel in Alaska was reasonable and easy to find.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

We got back at our home at 5:30 today.  It was a great trip!  It's good to be home.  No flat tires, no mechanical problems...but it will be great to sleep in our king size bed tonight.  I'm about to take my first shower in five days. I'll just throw these clothes away.
QL

Hilltop366

Nice to hear you had a successful trip!

thecfarm

It's nice to go,but it's nice to come back home too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

With total ferry costs @ $4000 and fuel @ $3500, not a cheap trip but when you consider all that we got to do and see...cheap enough.  I haven't added up all that we spent...and I don't intend to.  It was a lot.  But it was worth what ever it cost.  The number of OH MYs! that I heard from Sarah was payment enough.
We took a lot of pictures but I don't think I will post many.  They do not do justice to the real thing.  Oh My!!

Qweaver

If there is one outstanding dislike during this trip...this is it. Any mistakes on this road and you die!  And there are many just like this or worse.

luvmexfood

Quote from: sandhills on May 31, 2014, 12:58:09 AM
Qweaver, you gotta try those trips down the mountain in a '55 chevy with my uncle throwin' the old three on the tree into neutral!  Scared the ever living billy heck out of me but he was grinning ear to ear, kept saying this is the only time you'll see her doing 75  :D.  Enjoy your trip!

Sounds like my grandfather in the late 60s/early 70s. He had an old Chevy van and come top of everyhill and he would throw it in neutral and cut the engine, drift till just enough speed to pull it down into third and pop the clutch to start. And that was when gas was 25cents a gallon.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!