iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Asheville, NC: I Need cherry wood trees sliced and diced on site

Started by keng223, June 08, 2015, 12:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keng223

I have two downed trees in my difficult to access and haul out back yard. (but not impossible)  I did phone a local saw mill and we both decided it would likely be best to have all the word be done on-sight considering the trees have been laying flat (and rotting) for two years. If nothing else I surely would love the wood for myself and i can have local artisans dip into what I own and store. I have spent a good half day on trying to come up with the best solution and haven't found it yet. I found this sight and figure why not - let me post and see what I find.

I eagerly await anyone's thoughts or solicitations to help! :)

Thanks,

Ken

gww

Unless I missed it, nobody even knows where you are.
gww
Wow, I did miss it, It is in the title.  duh.

jueston

i'm not a sawyer, but i think if you have 2 trees that have been on the ground rotting for 2 years, there might not be much wood there to salvage....

maybe some pics so that we can see the condition would help

keng223

Here are a couple of shots. I bet the outer rings aren't supreme quality anymore but wondering how far? If they're not worth much, Maybe i'll just take a chain saw myself and cut into fire wood. But i bet two of these will give me some really good furniture making wood even though they may not sell on the open market as prime. I'm not that picky, especially if the furniture comes with a story. But if it's not cost effective at all aka it'll cost me more to remove them than the wood's value, I may go with plan B. I hope not, though. 

keng223

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, keng223.

There is lumber in there, but being a "yard" tree, there is also a possibility of wire, nails, or other metal.  If you do not get a response, contact Wood-Mizer and ask for a referral to their ProSawyer Network. LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

keng223

"like"  - thank you! I just sent them an email. we'll see if i get a response.

NCForester

I'm in Swannanoa, and mill all over Buncombe Co.
Email this evening and I'll give you my phone number.

I have a Woodmizer LT-40.

V.L. McIntyre

Seaman

Ken, Mr McIntyre will do you a good job, I have sen his work. If the logs are too big for his mill, he can put you in touch with us, we are in Old Fort.
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

drobertson

Howdy keng223, and will say you have found the right spot.  My bets are on the logs producing some very nice lumber, and betting the sap wood rot not being too much of a concern.   Please show us the results when you get them sawn.  I kinda like the cherry!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, Keng223.  Caution:  There may be some pretty lumber in those logs.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

keng223

I'm loving this forum already.  hopefully I'll find little to no ants, not so much rot, and some very pretty wood.

Magicman

You will love the FF even more as time passes.  We even want to follow what the lumber looks like and what you build with it.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ox

Welcome, keng.  You've found the best bunch of guys on the internet in the best place on the internet!
Please keep us posted on the lumber that comes out of those logs and what you may build with it.
Just because the sapwood may be punky doesn't mean the heartwood is gone.
I just sawed some old punky red pine that's been down for over 5 years.  It's just for boxing in a chicken tractor, but I had blue stain, red stain and green stain!  Interesting to say the least.
Of course, the knots were in pristine condition.  ;D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

The last ten trees I cut are standing dead and the outside of them looked much worse then your pictures,  Much much worse.  I have one on the saw now.  The bottom 6 feet of it was compleetly hollow.  I kept cutting fire wood till I hit good wood.  I have a thirteen foot log that I am pretty sure I am going to get some good one bys from.

The very middle is black but looks solid.  I wish I had your logs insted of mine but am going to get some boards.

You at least had to use a chainsaw to cut some bark away.  Mine, I just let the woodpeckers and bugs remove my bark.
Good luck
gww

Tom L

Quote from: keng223 on June 09, 2015, 08:36:13 AM
I'm loving this forum already.  hopefully I'll find little to no ants, not so much rot, and some very pretty wood.

your almost there already, so just make the move and buy yourself a mill. then you can do all the trees on your property after you see a pro with a  portable mill in action cutting those cherries up.

Thank You Sponsors!