iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My home made LH vertical wood splitter

Started by 21incher, June 03, 2015, 07:40:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

Yesterday I was splitting up my last batch of wood for the year and made a video of it working. https://youtu.be/Dv5U8Q1AT0A I made it 6 years ago and have not found a log in my yard it would not split. It is my idea of the perfect wood splitter for my needs.

:)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

DeerMeadowFarm

You have a very nice design; congrats! Nice workmanship!

Hilltop366

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on June 03, 2015, 11:44:57 AM
You have a very nice design; congrats! Nice workmanship!

Could not have said it better.

r.man

Thanks for the video, that is a great machine.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ox

K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Bruno of NH

you the man when it comes to fab work :) :)
your work is to shelf  :) :)
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Skidder Kev

Nice build.  I really like that 2 stage wedge.

Kev

21incher

Thanks everyone. It makes splitting my firewood a fairly easy job now. Before building the splitter I looked at buying one of the vertical / horizontal splitters and they just seemed to put to much stress on a old mans back due to all the bending and squatting required to use them. I tried to find one that split at a comfortable working height and realized that I would have to build one. I also have all the plumbing and selector valve that I had planned to install so it could be used as a hydraulic power pack that will some day be installed if I find a need for it. Sometimes building a tool is the only option to get exactly what you want. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

hedgerow

One fine looking splitter. Thanks for the video.

21incher

Quote from: kculler on June 03, 2015, 05:16:18 PM
Nice build.  I really like that 2 stage wedge.

Kev

The splitting wedge wound up taking longer to build then the rest of the splitter. It took 3 versions to get it right. The first one was basically a big V and it worked but the pump would have to kick into the second stage and slow down for most of the splits and a twisted log could stop it. The second one had the 2 angles, but they were across the entire wedge and the angle was steeper which also caused slow second stage splitting. The final one has a extremely sharp edge and only a 10 degree offset from the cutting edge with the 2nd stage only being a couple of inches wide for less friction which gave me the fastest split time usually running between 500 & 600 pounds of pressure on the first stage of the pump. Then I found by raising the log on a couple of blocks it tended to split even easier. After all my testing I was amazed at how much the wedge design affects the cycle speed on a small splitter. :)

Oliver1655

The wedge is a key component of any splitter. 
John

Stihl S-08s (x2), Stihl S10 (x2), Jonsered CS2139T, Husqvarna 338XPT California, Poulan Microvibe XXV, Poulan WoodShark, Poulan Pro 42cc, McCulloch Mini-Mac 6 (x2), Van Ruder Hydraulic Tractor Chainsaw

Ox

It shows a lot about your design when your splitter can stay in the first stage so much.  Others I have used go to second stage as soon as the wedge gets a whiff of wood near it.

I'd like to try one of the inertia splitters someday.  I may make one.    :P
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!