iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cherry chest build

Started by pineywoods, December 15, 2012, 08:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

This is a "daddy-do" project for my daughter. She calls and says "Pop, I need a special chest. Only thing I can find is over $400. Could you make me one if I sent a Picture ?" I raided my stash of air dried cherry. (Does this make me a board hoarder ?). Glued up some wide panels using biscuits and tite bond glue, to make a big wooden box. First pic is dry fit before glueing.

This pic is a pineywoods exclusive. How to make sure the top fits. Just don't forget where the screws are.

Trim attached, first coat of stain (minwax poly) applied,awaiting second coat and wrought iron handles.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

SAWMILL BUDDY

jamesamd

Piney Your the Man.
Swwwwwwet.
Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Tree Feller

Love the way you separated the top from the chest.  :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Okrafarmer

Looks like some good old Louisiana artistry-- and engineering-- at work!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Never cut a lid off like that.  Hmmmmm.....
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

When I first saw the pic a thought of how deep the chest was....  You sure took care of the depth issue for me when you sawed the top from the chest.  :D :D

Nice, I am certain she will be all over you with hugs.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 16, 2012, 07:59:56 AM
Never cut a lid off like that.  Hmmmmm.....

There's more than 1 way to skin a cat.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

pineywoods, YES, you may be a hoarder if you stash wood! (sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke). I like the way you cut the top off! Work well doesn't it! Tim

Okrafarmer

Quote from: T Welsh on December 16, 2012, 09:37:42 AM
pineywoods, YES, you may be a hoarder if you stash wood! (sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy joke). I like the way you cut the top off! Work well doesn't it! Tim

As long as you have your blade tension and alignment and everything all worked out. Would hate to have it dip! (That would never happen, now would it?  :o )
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Tree Feller

Any major tearout on the exit side when cutting off the lid?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

pineywoods

To answer a few questions...The sawn-off top is my way of compensating for my lack of woodworking skill, which is not exactly WDH level.  ;D Hey, it works. I use the same technique to get all the legs on a table or stool the same length, just mount it on the mill upside down. No tearout on the exit side, BUT it's best to mount the box at a slight angle so the exit is gradual. Saw SLOWLY. Don't forget where any screws or nails are. The sawn off edges will need a little dressing with a belt sander. The finish is minwax dark walnut poly..Why walnut on nice cherry boards ? Cause that's what the daughter wanted. Didn't have enough walnut lumber hoarded back, got plenty of cherry, sooo...The dimensions are a bit weird, but that's what she wanted..To be delivered the day before Christmas..Ho Ho Ho..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

Okrafarmer

That's what a good engineer does, he makes things work!

Planman1954

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Lud

A nice chest and a sharp way to take off the top.   Were you able to solve the puzzle of a continuing snug fit from lid to chest?

I'm sure she'll be ecstatic!! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

pineywoods

Quote from: Okrafarmer on December 16, 2012, 11:28:45 AM

As long as you have your blade tension and alignment and everything all worked out. Would hate to have it dip! (That would never happen, now would it?  :o )

No dip, climb or dive, but it wouldn't matter if it did, the lid would still fit perfectly. Come to think about it, that might be a new way for an unusual custom feature...

Piston

Great looking chest!  I like the stain you chose as well. 

Quote from: pineywoods on December 19, 2012, 11:35:39 AM
No dip, climb or dive, but it wouldn't matter if it did, the lid would still fit perfectly. Come to think about it, that might be a new way for an unusual custom feature...

That is a really neat idea, I imagine everyone who looked at the chest would have to think "how on earth did he get that top to fit so perfectly"   ;)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Okrafarmer

And then everybody would be wanting one!

There was a man from Kalamazoo,
Who found a mouse cooked in his stew.
Said the waiter, "Don't shout,
And wave it about,
Or the others will be wanting one too!"

Oops, turned this thread to food.  :-X

Norm

haywire woodlot

I've done that on a smaller scale on the table saw to open up small boxes, using the mill is a fine way to go, you could clamp a board to the backside, where the blade exits to to prevent any tear out.
Dave

pineywoods

Here's the finished job in it's final resting place.. But there's another problem. DIL saw it and now she wants one. I should have paid more attention to WDH. Not only about how to build, but he could have warned me that when 2 daughters are involved, plan on building 2  ;D

Planman1954

Looks great! Now....get to work! 8)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Slab Slicer

Nice work Piney. Where did you come up with that much cherry. I can't seem to find any good cherry around here. I'm always looking though.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Piston

That looks beautiful!  Great Job  8)
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WDH

Quote from: pineywoods on January 02, 2013, 08:36:10 PM
I should have paid more attention to WDH. Not only about how to build, but he could have warned me that when 2 daughters are involved, plan on building 2  ;D

Piney, I have THREE daughers  :'( :'( :'(.  I did get past having to build three chests, but there is more and more furniture that they need.  Why am I feeling so tired?   :).

I am interested in your chest top detail.  Say more, there is some interesting features that I can see from the pic.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Beautiful job. I too would like to know more about the detail onxthe top and any other finishing touches.

Magicman

Piney is a "wonder guy".  I wonder how that guy does what he does and still has time to do what he is gonna do.   ???   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pineywoods

Quote from: samandothers on January 03, 2013, 08:38:09 PM
Beautiful job. I too would like to know more about the detail onxthe top and any other finishing touches.

The top is somewhat fake. It looks like it's made up of a bunch of narrow planks. In reality, it's 3 pieces of 1X8 cherry edged glued with biscuits, then the grooves cut with a router and a signmakers bit. The joint between the ends and the top, bottom, front, and back has a similar groove to sorta hide the joint...The top and front are fastened to the ends with countersunk screws, needed something to cover up the heads. So a thin chunk of 2 inch wide cherry fastened down with 18 gauge brads and glue. Decorative upholstery nails hide the brads... Now I gotta build another one, the finish on it will probably be cherry to match the daughter-in-law's furniture..

Norm

Very nice craftsmanship Wayne!

Thank You Sponsors!