iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

table saw arbor bearing replacement (Powermatic 66)

Started by caveman, December 17, 2012, 10:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

My table saw, a Powermatic model 66, has recently started making a lot of noise.  I suspect that the arbor bearings are in need of replacement.  Are there any things that I should do/avoid before jumping into this project?  My plans are to take off the table, remove the belts, measure the placement of the pulley and arbor and then try to get the old bearing out and install the new.  Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Caveman
Caveman

beenthere

Sounds like a good plan. Keep us posted on the progress.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T Welsh

caveman

Thanks, T Welsh.  I am going to try to get JMoore to help me with this project when he finishes up the table he is building. 
Caveman
Caveman

T Welsh

caveman, No problem. We did one about 5 years ago,my best friend picked a 66 up at an auction for $500. It had a bad arbor bearing on it and we where chomping at the bit,because we both knew we where going to get it cheap! It needed a little TLC and when we where done with it,I think he spent $75 for bearings,belt and a decal. It turned out really well and looks pretty with the new decal. As far as performance, its one of the best running table saws I have used. It was a mid to early 1970,s era saw. Remember to get the serial# off the saw when ordering parts. Tim

caveman

I think ours was made in the 60's (it is green).  We bought it at an auction several years ago and it has served us well for a long time.  Hopefully I can finish up a project I am in the middle of and get this saw fixed up. 
Caveman
Caveman

caveman

JMoore and I finally got time to pull the ??43 year old table saw apart today.   According to the manual, the arbor shaft and bearing assembly and bearing assembly should slide out after removing the set screws.  It came out with some forceful encouragement but the hardest thing about the removal of the shaft was removing the woodruf key.  A hammer and chisle was just tearing it apart.  We heated the key, reluctantly, with a torch and then quenched it with ice and finally it began to move. 

The bearings are Fafnir W204PP.  The local bearing suppliers can get them tomorrow but they want to charge shipping plus $34 each.  I told them that if I wanted to pay shipping, I would order them off the computer and have them shipped to my door. 

I am anxious to get this maching squared away so I can begin reducing my lumber pile(s) with a myriad of projects.
Caveman

Caveman

Bru

go to the owwm.org site and search for ...accurate bearing...  This site has the name, phone number, and a lot of info about the person at Accurate ( Lynn), who is an absolute gem about small orders, including usually mailing them before end of day of order.

caveman

My second bearing arrived today via mail (I had to wait a few extra days but both bearings and shipping was less than one bearing purchased locally).  I put the shaft in the freezer and the bearings went on relatively easy.  Then, I put the shaft and bearings into the freezer for about an hour--they slid right into the arbor without pressing or driving them in.  The pulley was heated in the oven for a few minutes and it went on without too much protest.  The table, cast iron, seemed heavier today than when we removed it last week but I got it on and squared up.  I am hopeful that the table and blade orientation are close enough that my old jigs will still work.  If I can figure out how to get pictures from my phone to my computer to my gallery I will post pictures.

Thanks again for the help on this project.  Caveman
Caveman

jueston

Quote from: caveman on January 02, 2013, 10:30:50 PM
If I can figure out how to get pictures from my phone to my computer to my gallery I will post pictures.

i just e-mail the pictures to myself, then download them from my e-mail, then upload them to the forum.... its a long process, but finding the cable to do it directly to my computer will take longer....

caveman

I think that I finally have pictures ready to post. The first picture is of the bearings and spacer loaded on the arbor shaft.  I used a block of maple with a hole cut in it and a short piece of pipe to drive the bearings onto the shaft.  The shaft was put back into the arbor, new belts installed and the top bolted back on and trued up.  The orange paint was applied prior to removing arbor to give a visual as to how deep to set the shaft.  The boxes were made to test and determine if my jigs would work without adjustment--this one did.  I plan to make a wooden machinist tool box and use these as drawers.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!