iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Google Chrome

Started by TexasTimbers, September 06, 2008, 05:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

All I can say is this is the coolest browser I have ever used. I was almost afraid to download it after some of the reviews i read, but the Google team is working at light speed to correct them. Several of the bugs that were reported as late as yesterday and the day before are gone.

It was reviewed as slower than FF3 but faster than IE7, but I have found it o be noticeably faster than IE7. I was actually about to download FF3, and still may to play around with it, and IE8 (beta I think) also, but I might not bother unless i hit any major snags with Chrome.

I need to get back on the mill but will give more feedback later. There is already *alot* to say about this entirely new way of browsing. It is unlike any browser you have ever seen I assure you. You must keep an open mind if you want to try it, and remeber it's beta and there are quite a few features you are used to having in IE, FF, Opera, Safari that they haven't put in Chrome yet, but so far, for the simple kind of browsing I do i love it.

The spell check feature is already indispensable. It is automatic everywhere you go even in places or applications where there is no spell check. Any word you type is automatically checked. the "omni" window is cool too.

I'm sure I'll find things I don't like, already have found a few minor ones in fact so good so far. . . .

Sorry Bill I may be dumping you altogether soon, but at least you have Seinfeld's shoulder to cry on now . . . . 
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

WH_Conley

Keep us puter dummies posted. :D :D
Bill

easymoney

i might sound dumb. but how do we download it?

Haytrader

Go to Google's home page and there is a link to click on to do the deed.
Haytrader

easymoney

TexasTimbers

I have found some cool plug ins in the last 10 minutes. "Do the deed"! :D

Kevin_H.

I just downloaded it to give it a try, one of the first things I noted was that the mouse pad on my laptop will scroll down but not up, kinda weird!

gonna play around a little and see what else it will do

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Lanier_Lurker

I think I am going to wait a little bit longer (unless I use it on a sacrificial sandbox system).

I am getting info from security industry people that there may be more, and more serious, security problems with Chrome than we are hearing about.

It needs to ripen some more before I pick it and eat it.

However, I am sure they will eventually tighten it up.  And some of the design elements in Chrome are definitely revolutionary.

TexasTimbers

I'm using it alongside IE7.0.6001.18000

Just keeping IE in reserve essentially. I dislike Vista as well, and am looking at linux and other OS alts. but I have a big learning curve before I can wander off into that realm; I have some very large holes in my overall knowledge of how OSs work, and the benefits and drawbacks to each.

Just gotta take CCRs advice and  keep on chooglin' . . . . .

Kevin_H.

Having a little problem with chrome running java script, I went to you tube to watch some Mc Cain video's and chrome wont run the video's, seems you need to download a new version(beta) of java.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

TexasTimbers

I had to download flash player again in order to watch youtube vids as well. Took all of 30 seconds.

The more I use it the more I realize how much faster things load. I'm in IE7 right now because i haven't figured out in Vista how to make my default stay as Chrome. IE keeps wresting it away even though I select it in my internet options as the default homepage. I guess there must be a "Default Browser" selection as well. I knew where it was in XP but can't find it in Vista.

JBarnes

er, I think I may be in the minority running a Mac. Google haven't released a version for us yet  :'(

On the brighter side maybe by then they may have ironed out any bugs
Greenwood Management

Forestry Investment

Kevin_H.

I got the video's to work too after downloading the new java update and restarting chrome, I haven't tried making it my default yet, but I like having my most viewed websites come up on the opening page.

TexasTimbers

I went ahead and made it my default. Resistance was futile. I have been assimilated.

brdmkr

I'm using it now.  I was using, and liking, Firefox.  However, the automatic update occurred and it failed to do anything.  I got nothing but blank pages.  So, I uninstalled and downloaded a new version.  Same thing happened.  I suppose my old 'puter is just too old to run the new firefox.

We'll see how this chrome stuff works.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

tyb525

I don't think I'll switch to that from FF, been using it for several years now. I'll wait till Chrome 2.0 or whatever comes out, hopefully by then the major bugs will be gone. I'm content with FF, plus all the plugins you can download, and it comes with a spell checker also.

I've already made the switch to Ubuntu just recently, I figure there's no need for another change that soon, plus I don't think anyone has made an Ubuntu version of Chrome yet.

Oh well, time will tell. Who knows, I might break down and switch to it, but hopefully not soon.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

TexasTimbers

tyb,

I have been studying the foreign languages of Linux as well. I don't know enough to know what os I want. I started out comparing kubuntu to ubuntu and beleiev if I go with a linux base I'll probably pick ubuntu based on a common thread that says kubuntu is not as developed or feature rich.

But a couple of days ago i wandered into a  UNIX forum and Xfce is looking pretty good, so now I think I have to make those comparisons when I get time. Xfce users who have also used a linux os say xfce is alot more resource friendly, loads and executes apps much faster, and is modularly built so you can pick and choose from a wider array of customizable options for you particular needs.

I don't know what i think about unix yet i haven't read anything except a bunch of threads from a pro-unix forum so I will try to find some cons about it somewhere.

WH_Conley

I will try to put forward from us non-puter tech out here.

EEHH?
Bill

tyb525

TexasTimber,

The main reason I decided to go with Ubuntu is: Something in the Windows registry got screwed up so it wouldn't log on, and I tried everyting I could think of, and looked for answers online to no avail. I couldn't find my XP disk to reinstall. So I figured, Hey, why not download Ubuntu? I had heard about it awhile ago, and forgot about it until now. It's free, and seems that you get about the same functionality with as Windows once you download the right applications.

I find that Ubuntu runs faster on my computer. ( 2.7 Ghz overclocked to 2.9 ghz, 1gb ram, nvidia 6600)
I like its layout better than Windows.

I had no previous Linux experience, and it sounds like you have more knowledge of Unix and Kubuntu and Xfce than I do. So far Ubuntu has worked great for me. Once you download it, you burn it onto a CD and install it like you would any other OS.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

TexasTimbers

O seriously doubt I have more knowledge, you just read about 90% of all I know about it. :)

But I am encouraged by your experience compared to Windows. I am still gonna hold off until I have a better knowledge of them. I joined a couple of linux forums and the unix forum i mentioned and have just lurking and reading there when I get a chance.

Was it hard to keep windows in the cage? I have heard horror stories on that.

tyb525

I just shot it a few times, it backed down after that.

Actually I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean keeping it from running, I just installed it on a second (smaller) hard drive I had from an older computer. I set my main hd to slave mode and set it as a second hd, so I was able to keep all my stuff. Ubuntu won't open some windows (mp3, exe) files "out of the box" but you can download dll's, applications, etc to fix that.

SPIKER

hey guys:

I'm still behind times I guess, I'm still using my old pent 3 550 PC I built in I think 1998 or 99.  :D

I'm still using win 98 SE and FF 2.xx for browsing but things are getting worse.  Yahoo just upped their software and I'm now having a lot of difficulties getting access as each time I check a stock using yahoo it will start to crash...  :(   getting stuff to work with old software is really getting bad too.  I'm sick of MS stiff as you can see once I get something working I'm fine with it...)  they want to you always buy the NEXT best thing and FORCE you to by un-supporting every thing prior.   I've been looking at wondering about the unix stuff and also since FF 3 will not work on Win98SE I can't up date there anyone know about CHROME & 98se? 
((EDIT IN( got my answer fast only for VISTA and XP SP2)  now about the other windows replacements?)))

anyhow I'm going ot check but was wondering if anyone knew
mark

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

TexasTimbers

It should be easy to find out Spiker. Man I bet you drive a vehicle until it falls apart, then put it back together with bailing wire and duct tape and keep on trucking. :D 

That's me too almost. I suggest looking into linux or unix because they don't use near the resources windows does. It's not an easy thing to switch to, and get all the plugins and make all the tweaks necessary though unless you already have a ton of computer knowledge and I do not.

I am all for making the most out of computers but IMO it's time you consider upgrading your hardware and software.  ;D

SPIKER

Quote from: TexasTimbers on September 11, 2008, 01:14:02 PM
It should be easy to find out Spiker. Man I bet you drive a vehicle until it falls apart, then put it back together with bailing wire and duct tape and keep on trucking. :D 

(Yep I have 2 broken trucks now I have to fix. brake line and a trans cooler line)

That's me too almost. I suggest looking into linux or unix because they don't use near the resources windows does. It's not an easy thing to switch to, and get all the plugins and make all the tweaks necessary though unless you already have a ton of computer knowledge and I do not.

I am all for making the most out of computers but IMO it's time you consider upgrading your hardware and software.  ;D

( that is what every one says, I've been looking at a new laptop I am awaiting for big sales coming ;) )

I have the brake lines in the trunk now as well as the trans line materials.   I haven't been able to move around since early JUNE when my back went out and has really caused things to get out of hand. grass (field now) needs brush hogged down and the two trucks need fix-n I'm finally walking around after surgery (which is why I was looking at lap tops I can't set very long still).

anyhow off to lay down back acting up after the car fixing yesterday brake rotor was bad and pads. so I was gonna drive truck home and it blew a brake line hadn't drove it in months setting in yard.   Fired right up (it's a ford ;) ) :D

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thank You Sponsors!