iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowshoes

Started by rooster 58, January 28, 2013, 10:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

I was wonderring if anyone out there uses snowshoes. I would like to try a pair to traverse the woods around me. I would need a pair that would be suitable for uneven terrain, even rocky areas.
    I've heard the old style sinewy ones aren't very good, and that you need shoes that have enuf lip so they don't dig into the snow.
Can anyone give any advice on the subject?

Jay C. White Cloud

Hello,

Are you near the "Loyal Sock Trail?," Traditional snow shows are great, if custom made for (by) you, otherwise they aren't that good.  Go to a locale outdoor retailer, like EMS for example and try on what they have, they often will rent them out before you buy them to see if they work.  Even the new modern ones are not that great if not fitted well.  The bigger the plat form, the better the snow show, the harder it is to maneuver; it's all a trade off.

Good Luck,  jay

I have modern custom fit "Tubbs," for wilderness expedition guides, unfortunely not getting enough snow to even dig them out the last three years. :embarassed:
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do snow shoes come with steel toes?  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Reddog

reride82

I use a pair of Atlas snowshoes, and my brother uses Tubbs snowshoes. Both pairs have held up great, whether in flat and powdery snow, or on the side of a face in tougher snow. The atlas ones seem to dig into a slope and hold a little easier than the tubbs, I'm not to sure why. Just make sure you get a size that is more than your average weight when shopping for a pair. We have gone backpacking with ours, and when I have all my winter gear and a pack, weigh in at almost 270 lbs. Mine are rated for 275 lbs. but I usually only weigh 220-230 lbs.. Actually, my avatar is from when we went backpacking/snowshoeing in the Tobacco Root Mountains in southwest Montana mid-May 2011.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

Jay C. White Cloud

My wife and I have different types, I was mistaken before.  Her's, (she tiny,) are the Tubbs, and mine are the Atlas.  Refide82, made a good observation, about weight and size.  When I've got on boot's, I'm almost 6'4" and with an expedition pack, I can tip the scale at over 300 lb.  Snowshoes need to be sized for the max weight.  Let us know how it goes.
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

thecfarm

I have not done that for years. I use to do that living at home. I used my Father's web ones. Those was taller than I was. I do have a small plastic pair that someone gave me. This year we only have maybe 6 inches of snow,none is needed,so far.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Hey there White Cloud, I'm bout the same size as you. I'm 6'2" and right now at 283 lbs. :o Put on 33 lbs in last 3 mos. and fightin' to git em back off now. No snow right now but I'd like to pick up a pair anyway. Where can I find the Atlas brand? Thanks for the help ;)

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey Rooster58,

I got mine from the company founder at the Wilderness Risk Managers Conference at a presentation in 1994.  Perry, the company owner was present to talk to folks.  I'm not sure if they are still owned by him?  I think I heard rumors that "tubbs," had bought them, but below is a link to the Atlas's web site.  Let us know what you find out.

Regards,  jay

http://atlassnowshoe.com

rooster 58

Thanks, Jay ;) I'll have to look into both of those companies

Yoopersaw

Although I use 3 differant models of leather and wood shoes, these are my favorite.

http://www.iversonssnowshoes.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=6

rooster 58

Hi yoopersaw, thanks for the reply. I really like the looks of the traditional shoes. I would be using mine for recreation in thick woods, hemlock forests, and in rocky areas as well. What style or styles do you prefer? Thanks, Scott

SwampDonkey

I don't know if we even have enough snow in the woods to shoe. Sure kinda scarce for snow mobiles right now. But I have a pair with ash frames plastic in between made by Faber in Quebec and called "Winter Hiker". I've had them for a number of years. I don't get out in them too often. But be aware, if your snow is crusty you need something to grip on it and also if it is crusty it wears on the nylon bindings like sand paper.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Yoopersaw

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 30, 2013, 02:33:52 PM
     Hi yoopersaw, thanks for the reply. I really like the looks of the traditional shoes. I would be using mine for recreation in thick woods, hemlock forests, and in rocky areas as well. What style or styles do you prefer? Thanks, Scott

The modified Bear Paw is great in the woods.  I go through some really thick stuff up here including cedar swamps, and I honestly have never had a problem with them.  If you go with them get one that will support more than you weigh if you ever carry a pack on them.  Any questions, ask or pm if you can.  I also use the Ojibwa and Cross Crountry models, but only if I plan on staying out of the heavier wooded areas.  Both of these are too long to turn easy around trees and swamps.

chevytaHOE5674

I have a pair of traditional Iversons as well as a pair of Tubbs aluminum framed ones. I find myself using the aluminum ones more and more. My aluminum ones have a metal cleat on the bottom that really helps if there is any ice of if you step on an log under the snow or something. Make sure you get them plenty big as once you get geared up you can double your "dry" weight. Big thing I like about the Aluminum shoes is you don't have to worry about cracking the wood or having to clean and varnish them.

SwampDonkey

I've never seen wooden ones crack, however I've seen several aluminum ones cracked and out right broken right about at the point where they curve up to the toe. Never bought any for that reason.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jay C. White Cloud

I guess it is all in the experiences we have, I can't count how many wood snow shoes I have cracked or broken. I started making mine with reinforcements in a few spots. Then I just started fresh and switched to Atlas for my guiding work.  They only cracked once badly, during and ice climbing trip with some clients but they were "field fixable" till I got back, and Atlas replaced them. I don't know if the wooden ones have those kinds of policies?

rooster 58

It just entered my mind that there is a small outfitters shop In Ridgway, about 45 min away that sells shoes and may even rent some so that I may get a feel for what I want or need. Thanks for all the input, Scott

SwampDonkey

I've had two pairs of snow shoes in over 30 years and never busted the wood. The first set I basically inherited. I have been on everything from powder snow, to crusty snow, even plowed road and never broke the wood. It all boils down to quality of wood used I suppose. I worked at one place and one day we were going to have to do some shoing for 2 miles one way to a woodlot and it was a cedar woods. The 2 other guys had aluminum shoes and every one of the sets of aluminum shoes they was toting had anywhere from a hair line crack, to out right near broke clean on the curve upward. So for me at that point, it didn't take much thought. I still have a pair here, the newer of two sets, I use and all that goes is the nylon bindings. The other set is over 30 years old because I used to shoe when I was 8 or 10 starting out when I began snaring rabbits, and the webbing was rawhide which is pretty much shot because of getting wet in April snow, but the wood is not cracked or busted. I'd say wood is easier to fix, when the woods around here is full of ash trees. Bends easy when green. Or just splint the break and tie a few wraps of snaring wire on. But, with that being said never had to worry about it. :D

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey SwampDonkey,

I think you gave the secret away... :D

Quote2 pairs of snow shoes....over 30 years...quality of wood used

I'm with you, I still think wood meets or beats aluminum for durability (not weight,) if of the old designs and quality...so many aren't.

Regards,  jay

Ron Scott

I've a few hours/miles on snowshoes over the years, especially the last 18 years of timber marking and have broken 4 of Iverson's traditional wood shoes. Due to the price of the wooden shoes, I have gone to quality aluminum shoes and have now broken one of them. The tubing broke behind the foot. I repaired it with a pipe repair joint  kit and it has been working well for the past couple years. 

I still have two salavaged pairs as "back ups" from the 4 broken (1 shoe from each pair) from
the Iverson shoes. ;) The forester that works with me has also broken a pair of wooden shoes but has them still in  service with a repair splice.
~Ron

SwampDonkey

Shoulda had Faber. :D

Anyway, I could see we aren't going to have much snow for awhile around here, but we have ice and about 3-4" of crust clean to the bottom of the snow pack, if you will. I stopped in a shop yesterday and got a set of creepers and a new set of bindings. The bindings are made by the shop. They said over the years all the bindings that were on the market, or that they could get was just junk. I'll have to try them at a later date. Anyway, I used the creepers today and had a nice walk for a couple hours or so on the woodlot and across my cousin's and over to the next lot to check out their wood yard. Walking, this time of year on that hard crust is about the best one could hope for. No wading snow, or breaking through or anything to cause much of a struggle. :) It was nice and cold, but no wind. And when I walked out the road, the sun beaming down warmed me up at least 10 degrees and the sun was blinding.  8) ;D

JohnM

Quote from: rooster 58 on February 01, 2013, 03:52:14 PM
       It just entered my mind that there is a small outfitters shop In Ridgway, about 45 min away that sells shoes and may even rent some so that I may get a feel for what I want or need. Thanks for all the input, Scott

Rooster, most of those rental places will sell their rental stock at the end of the season and you can get a pretty good price for lightly(ish) used shoes (give any pair you're looking at a good looking over).  Worth asking about at least.  I've got a pair of Atlas that are my 'go to' pair, a big reason why is the 'lacing', slip your foot in and pull two tabs and done.  Slick as can be.  The one thing I like better about wooden shoes though is they are quiet, no creaking and squeaking and they just feel more 'natural'.  But being in PA I'm guessing you have crusty snow a lot of the time so I'd vote metal for the traction alone.

I think I got out half a dozen times this winter but of course all our snow is gonzo now. >:(

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

bill m

I have two pair of Tubbs and find them to be one of the best. They also have a 100% lifetime warranty.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SwampDonkey

You don't need metal shoes for traction, Fabors have cleats on the underside for that. On mine you just slip your foot in and fasten the connector for around your heel and your off.

That being said, I don't mind the creepers either. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!