iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowshoes?

Started by gman98, March 23, 2015, 06:50:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

Hello guys.  I am new to the forum and this is my first time posting but I figured I would come up with a question I have had for a while.  I am looking to get a new pair of snowshoes for next winter.  These will mainly be used for beaver trapping.  I would prefer to get a pair of traditional snowshoes.  What would you guys reccomend for northern Maine terrain?

Thanks, Alex
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

1270d

Is there a particular reason you want traditional?   Good aluminum shoes are very nice.

petefrom bearswamp

My son, a forester with NYSDEC uses traditional.
His younger contemporaries use the modern versions.
They had more issues with these newer shoes in deep snow than my son.
Read sinking in past their knees.
I used traditional Michigan pattern for 25 yrs as a consulting forester, wore one pair out, the second reposes on the wall of my shop, half worn out, are covered with dust and will remain there .
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

1270d

Traditional style are available in larger sizes as well?   
Modern bindings would make traditional wooden shoes nice.

I switched to aluminum frames after breaking a couple pairs piece cutting.   One little nick on the toe of the shoe and they would split.  The cleats on the aluminum is nice for log walking too.

Stephen Alford

I still use traditional as that is what I have. Have moved away from leather and like working with nylon. You all probably do this but thought I might mention  how well a needle nose sodering iron works. When it burns the hole in the nylon it seals the edge of the hole. Ribbits with washers hold really well.

Oh and try to stay off vechicles......  :D

logon

Hilltop366

A friend of mine just got a pair of Newfoundland snowshoes, I haven't seen them yet but the are highly recommended. I do have a set of harnesses made like his on my wood bear-paws and like them. The video link is three parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQahP2rFpms

Jeff

Member @Reddog 's father builds traditional snowshoes, not heard lately if he still is, but its worth a look. Reddog's dad is a world class dogteam sled builder.

http://www.risdonrigs.com/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ga jones

Tubbs is what I would recommend. modern shoes are easier to carry,store,faster bindings and last longer. I will sacrifice sinking a little more for the maneuverability every time. Just my opinion though
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

ESFted

Construction aside, what type you get kinda depends on whether you are in open country or heavily wooded forest.  Longer types don't maneuver well in the woods, that's where I prefer bear paws.
S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

DeerMeadowFarm

Hilltop, do you know where your buddy ordered them from? I tried the link at the end of the videos you posted (cool link BTW!) and it didn't work for me.

I use traditional ones with rubber bindings similar to the ones Jack has that I made myself patterned after a pair I bought at a Great Canadian store (they sold canoes and snowshoes). I have a pair of 1950's Army surplus that I use the most. A pair os Ojibwa's that I made from a kit, and a pair of LL Bean Bear Paws that I bought at a yard sale for $20. My 11 year old daughter uses those.

Reddog

Quote from: Jeff on March 23, 2015, 04:12:31 PM
Member @Reddog 's father builds traditional snowshoes, not heard lately if he still is, but its worth a look. Reddog's dad is a world class dogteam sled builder.

http://www.risdonrigs.com/

Yes he still does.
Many sizes to chose from.
Give him a call if you want to ask any questions.

Hilltop366

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on March 23, 2015, 04:51:00 PM
Hilltop, do you know where your buddy ordered them from? I tried the link at the end of the videos you posted (cool link BTW!) and it didn't work for me.

Not sure were he ordered them from, if you search "Newfoundland snowshoe" you will come up with some results.

sprucebunny

We had different snow this winter and even the newer snowshoes with mostly fabric deck were sinking in a lot ! I think it has to do with the snowflakes being round ???

I mostly use the Fabers since they withstand a chainsaw nick much better and have the better bindings. You can see that the fabric deck has a couple of -almost- punctures.
The tips have several chain nicks. Fun in the woods  8) 8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

North River Energy

I don't snowshoe much, but when I need to, I use an old pair of MSR 'Denali Ascent'.
http://www.moontrail.com/msr-denali-ascent.php
Obviously not traditional, but they are very nimble, provide decent flotation (@ +-190lbs), and have excellent traction.

What do you use presently, and what don't you like about them?

1270d

Sherpa 9x36   Looks like the company went out of business some years ago, but there is a Canadian forestry/mining supply that makes almost identical shoes.  IRL supplies I think it is.  Had Iverson brand traditionals. 

Mark Wentzell

I've always used GV snowshoes made in Quebec. Their snow trail line is a good style for the woods.

Alexanderthelate

I don't know if Jack Carey is still operating- that episode of L&S is ten years old, but I can vouch for the quality of his work. I've got two pairs of his shoes that are both older then me, and are is perfect condition, except one pair has had the bindings replaced (an accident with an axe, not the construction).

I would avoid the aluminum and plastic shoes like the plague. I had a nasty accident once with a set, they were like skates on the crusty snow.

Clark

Last winter was pretty brutal here. I had just finished making my own pair of snowshoes. The basic Michigan pattern is what I used. The more square inches you can include inside the frame, the more flotation you will have. I've never bought the argument that more maneuverability was worth sacrificing the size of the shoe. I've yet to put on a pair of snowshoes that I would consider "maneuverable". If you want to float on the snow you've got to put large, clunky things on your feet and maneuverability does not fit into this equation.

If I were you I would suggest finding an old pair of Lunds. If you can't then the first thing I look for is how much upturn does the toe have. The more the better. The old Lunds will have 6-10" of upturn. It really helps prevent the toe from catching more snow or crusty snow that will send you sprawling. If the webbing looks beat up then talk the seller down and get 'em for the best price you can. Buy the book "Building Snowshoes & Snowshoe Furniture" by Gil Gilpatrick. It has excellent instructions on how to lace a pair of snowshoes. Relace the old pair you bought with nylon webbing and you'll have a pair of shoes that will last decades and keep you on top of the snow.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

DeerMeadowFarm

Good comments Clark. My military surplus ones that I use the most have a very large upturn. The Ojibway style I made myself from a kit also has a large upturn. I'm 230 at winter weight and I need all the flotation I can get and you are right; flotation = big foot print! I do have Gil's book as well as his canoe book; great guy!

scouter Joe

I also have a pair of Jack Carey's snowshoes and they are my favourites . Easy to get around in and stand up very well . I got them about 10 years ago and the cord is starting to get frayed quite bad . Jack was in his mid 60s when I got the shoes and I wasn't sure if he is still making them . I called him up this morning and his wife told me that Jack had a stroke about 3 years ago and hasn't made any since . I did get to talk to him and he said he is getting better and hopes to get back at making them again . He did take my name number and address but said it might be a while before he could get me another pair . Hope it all goes well for him and he can get back to making snowshoes again . scouter Joe

SwampDonkey

I use Fabres as well, but with ash frames and composite web area. I find aluminum cracks and breaks too easy, ash frames last forever. The one thing though is crusty snow chews up nylon bindings. ;D However, I have never busted the shoes and have used them for many winters. Have gone through 3 sets of nylon straps though. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gman98

Thank you guys for your help.  What patterns do you find most useful in the woods?  Have any of you tried the GV wooden snowshoes?

Thanks, Alex
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Reddog

10x56 Alaskans are a very popular shoe, short of rabbit hunting in willow brush do fine for most other wooded  hikes.
If your a smaller person, 9 or 10 x46 is a good choice.

I and a lot of others prefer shoes that have a tail. They track/balance better than the bear paws in deep fluff.

BHC

Beaver trapping is hard on shoes, i have gone to surplus army ones, and on my second pair in 10 years, if i doing much snowshoeing, otherwise i have a pair of wooden bear paw that travel better on my snow-sled. I have broken more than my share of snow shoes trapping beaver. If you go wooden go with thicker bows, there a few different snowshoe makers here in Maine, that can make them with heavier wood for you, stay away from leather, as it going to get wet and then be loose. realize if your trapping beaver, and packing them back out the extra weight. Get bindings that you can twist your feet out of easily, if you trap beaver enough your going to go through the ice, and your going to need to get them off your feet in a hurry. There is no 1 best pair for the whole season and different snow conditions, and terrain one stop you may be able to walk right up the ice some times without snowshoes, the next you go down through a fir thicket, and across a alder swamp.  The best ones you drive the snow-sled to cut the holes in the ice with a chainsaw and have enough of a trail to pull a dogsled along.
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

OntarioAl

Folks
I like traditional wooden snowshoes but for daily work in the boreal forest they would not last (I am a swelt 250 lbs + on snow shoes). I use the surplus snowshoes and for me they last just like a Timex watch (takes a licking and keeps on ticking) and I never go snowshoeing without a pair of cross country ski poles. The bindings are a new style they work great how long they last only time will tell
Al

Al Raman

Thank You Sponsors!