iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Brushcutter recomendations

Started by Redbark, March 19, 2015, 10:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redbark

I've entered into a contract with my local NRCS to kill buckthorn on my property and thought a hand held brush cutter would be helpful. I'll be treating cut stumps with herbicide. Any thoughts on make and size would be great. I have 30 acres to treat over the next 5yrs.Thanks

Red

beenthere

A good heavy duty one, with the bike handle bars, carrying harness, and pro model.
I like the Stihl, and member Swampdonkey is the one who likely knows most as he uses them in his business.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pine

Here is another thread on the subject.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,77592.msg1177895.html#msg1177895

I am a fan of Stihl products.
I have a FS450 and a FS250.  Price is a good bit different but so is the capability.  I use the FS250 with with the knife blade (three bladed device) as well as the chisel tooth blade.  Same with the FS 450 but it is much more capable when using the chisel tooth blade. 

Try to find the Stihl Brushcutter Blade - Model 4000 713 4207 it is a better one than the standard chisel tooth that Stihl has. 

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 08, 2014, 04:56:16 PM
Stihl are usually made in Japan, but I have seen some batches from Sweden in a bronze colored carton instead of the usual grey. All brands I see here other than Stihl are all from Sweden. I wouldn't doubt, although I don't know, they come from the same plant. But yes they are all the same profile, not just similar looking. These blades are used all over Europe and Canada. But we all thin (PCT) a lot more land to. Can't imagine a liability issue. Never heard of anyone cutting themselves thinning unless they were dumb enough to stick their hand in the blade while it was spinning to remove a stick. ;)

Amazon.com had them. I know there was a recall last year, so maybe theirs were in the recall. I have not stopped by the dealer yet to see if they have new stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Stihl-Brushcutter-Blade-Model-Chisel/dp/B00FOF9B06/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The newer version of the FS450 is the FS460
You could always go up to the FS560 but it might be overkill for your application.

Holmes

i have an old Stihl FS200. It has worked great.  I also have been cutting buckthorn, but is does no good unless you spray the stumps.
Think like a farmer.

SwampDonkey

Read a USFS report recently. They have looked at applicators on the saw while cutting, called 'wet blade' applicator. But the applicator was only good for 30 - 40 minutes, while a tank ran for an hour, so you had to stop every 30 minutes to refill with herbicide. The applicator is about $500. They found that if you ran it over 40 minutes you would end up with bands of sprayed and non sprayed on the block. They were in Japanese barberry. This applicator was developed here in NB. We never use them in any thinning I have done. But I have seen them demoed. From what I recall at that time it was temperamental. But the FS found they used less herbicide and just as effective as basal spray. Didn't matter if the cut stump was sprayed before (directly when cut) or after leaf out, same effectiveness.

Are you treating 6 acres a year or 30 a year? For me if I was employed or on contract the saw is paid for by tax credits, so it doesn't matter if I get the bigger saw. It's covered. So in my instance, a Stihl 560 would be sitting on my harness. ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!