iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade skidders: Anybody (other than Dad) built one from a 1948 vintage truck?

Started by CS Fifield, December 02, 2017, 01:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CS Fifield

Back in the mid-1960's Dad (with some help from my uncles) built a skidder using a Flathead V8 engine from a 1948 Ford truck.They did an awesome job, and though the paint shows its age, it still works fine and purrs right along. (Dad will be 95 next month and still cuts, splits, and hauls the 10-12 cord of firewood he uses to heat the house with each year.)  Any body else out there built a homemade skidder from a similar vehicle?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

CS Fifield

Hopefully you can see the picture now.  Had to swap computers to get the pic.  The skidder starts a lot easier than my computer!

jwilly3879

coxy

Quote from: CS Fifield on December 02, 2017, 01:43:19 PM
Back in the mid-1960's Dad (with some help from my uncles) built a skidder using a Flathead V8 engine from a 1948 Ford truck.They did an awesome job, and though the paint shows its age, it still works fine and purrs right along. (Dad will be 95 next month and still cuts, splits, and hauls the 10-12 cord of firewood he uses to heat the house with each year.)  Any body else out there built a homemade skidder from a similar vehicle?

that's neat   god bless your dad at 95  8) 8) 8)

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

lopet

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Knute

Your Dad did a great job on that skidder. Hearing his age and what he is still doing is amazing.

barbender

My hats off to your dad! That's a fine build, and the fact he's still pulling wood at 95 inspires me, I hope I can do the same!
Too many irons in the fire

tacks Y

I made one with a 4WD, 4WS Pettibone fork lift. Took the steering off the axles and made it articulate. I sold and and now have a 440A and C.

mike_belben

20Ton Pettibone planetaries are worth about $500/corner to the monster truck crowd.  They call em bones, plants or pie pans.  You need shaft, planetary and "champagne cup" but not the inner housing.  I usually torched them to give the buyer both sides of the flange.   They get grafted onto rockwell f106 housings with 6.17 gears.  Usually found in F700. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

woodmaker

That is some nice fabricating;tell your dad that he should be wicked proud of that skidder. 8)
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

mike_belben

Just plopping this sweet homemade grapple vid here.  Notice that its got power rotate swivel and the whole boom is on a rotec turret.  Im impressed.  Bump.

Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

M. Belben, You are lucky to have such a father. Now I understand where you get your mechanical knowlage, you realize it is rare in younger people today.   That home made skidder is the best I have seen and I look at stuff like that.  Always wanted to build one that could be operated from the running board, hand clutch or auto trans for one man operation but I want to build loots of things. Doug

mike_belben

Doug, i think youre mistaking me for the OP.  I was just bumping the thread.  But youre right about my dad, i owe what i have to him. 
Praise The Lord

longtime lurker

Watch this... home made skidder from about the 8 minute mark but honestly the whole thing is worth watching. Thats going to be me in another 30 years time lol

Vintage Mill - Landline - ABC

The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Puffergas

Quote from: mike_belben on November 29, 2018, 08:35:21 PM
Just plopping this sweet homemade grapple vid here.  Notice that its got power rotate swivel and the whole boom is on a rotec turret.  Im impressed.  Bump.

That sure is a nice grapple skidder. All it needs now is a ROP.   8)
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

grabber green

I've been building this thing for at least 15 years ,please let me know what you think about it good or bad . :laugh: I'ts made mostly from scrap and junkyard parts but it works.

thecfarm

A mighty fine first post!!
Use it just for firewood?
Loader arms homemade?
Motor?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

grabber green

I use it for logs and sometimes firewood.
the loader arms are boxed and plated pickup truck frame sections ,the engine is a 300 ford six .

Crusarius

that thing is sweet. Who ever said you need a 25000 skidder?

Those rockwells under it?

Thank You Sponsors!