iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mortise Sharing

Started by Brian_Weekley, March 22, 2012, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian_Weekley

In trying to maximize the width of a door opening, I was planning to house two adjacent tenons in a single mortise (a brace and door stud).  As the two separate timbers dry in a single mortise, I imagine the fit might be a little worse down the road compared to single tenons in their own dedicated mortises.  In this case, I don't see this as being a critical joint anyway.  However, just wondering if there is any precedence for this in traditional joinery?  Is it acceptable or discouraged?

e aho laula

Dave Shepard

I've seen shared mortises before. I would think after shrinkage of the stud the peg would be carrying the load. I think there are pics of shared joinery in Jack's HATJ.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AMB30518

I was wondering the same thing but my braces are on opposite sides of my post, with the tenon ends butting eachother.
I did some chainsaw milling, learning sketchup & timber framing for home projects but not an expert..... I learn as I go and go as I learn.

Aaron

Brian_Weekley

Thanks, Dave.  Wouldn't all brace joints end up putting some load on the pegs if the post were to shrink?  I guess what I'm doing is really no different than a brace with a packing piece, eh?
e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: AMB30518 on March 22, 2012, 10:00:00 PM
I was wondering the same thing but my braces are on opposite sides of my post, with the tenon ends butting eachother.

Tenon ends should never butt each other trim to allow for shrinkage.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on March 22, 2012, 11:56:56 PM
Thanks, Dave.  Wouldn't all brace joints end up putting some load on the pegs if the post were to shrink?  I guess what I'm doing is really no different than a brace with a packing piece, eh?

If the peg holes are draw bored then there should be come spring in the peg to help hold the brace into the post.
When draw boring braces you have to draw it in two directions, in and down against the bearing end of the tenon. This hopefully will keep the bearing end and the shoulder against the post.

Brian, your top tenon and stud pocket will work but you should draw bore your stud tenon against the bearing end of the brace tenon. That way there will be pressure against the bearing end of the tenon.

Jim Rogers

witterbound

Does your door stud really need a big ole tenon to hold it in?   

Jim_Rogers

There are alternative methods.

If it is the hinge side then maybe it might.
But if it's the latch side or if it's a sliding door maybe not.

Here is one from my gallery of cutting joints.

Basically you toe nail the bevel at the top into the beam.
The bottom is cut with a standard stub tenon and then the top is cut with a bevel and matching bevel in the beam. After the frame is raised you tilt it into place, by putting the stub tenon into the sill beam and then pivot it up to the tie beam/plate or whatever beam that is.

I just wanted you to know that there are other ways to do the same thing. Then the siding will help hold it in.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!