iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Tree swallows arrived here this week, still early for barn swallows up here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

miking

I've seen trees and barns already and pretty sure I saw rough winged when I was looking at the peregrines. We've had a cold snap here until today and I think a lot of the migrants are stalled south of here. I've heard a few parula warblers and seen hermit thrush and brown thrashers, but that's about it.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

Chuck White

Saw 2 pair of Tree Swallows on Tuesday and today we saw a pair of Rose Breasted Gross Beaks.

I think all we lack is the Hummers, Brown Thrashers, Barn Swallows.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

My pair of House Finches are busily building a nest in the hanging fern.  It's a yearly ritual for them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

I think we have a million robins this year, they are thick. That's why the kestrels are getting populated a bit to, they hunt in the yard. Lots of flickers around and juncos. I think the juncos stay here anyway, but there was none around the house this winter. I don't feed. Haven't heard the thrashers here neither. They only come to a small sliver of land in NB along the Maine border. Have not seen the phebes yet, that's unusual but it only warmed up this week. Been cold. Only a couple wheel barrels of snow left on the back side of the house (north), be gone today. Still a big drift on the line and blown in a breeze way off the field to the old garden.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

Heard my first Wood Thrush yesterday morning at dawn.  One of the sweetest sounds I know.  I look forward to it every year.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Magicman

We have a Mockingbird that sings to us every morning. That can be some crazy mixed up music.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Catbirds are kind of oddballs to.

Magicman

Yup, and I had forgotten about them.  They are kinda rare to see here.

Onthesauk

The bird song I miss from when I was a kid is the meadowlark in Montana.  My favorite right now here in the NW would be the red winged blackbird.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

Found a Kill Deer so called nest with 2 eggs in it. I walked through the field 3 times before I found it.The way she was acting I knew a nest was near. She was making a racket for me to follow her. I need to mark it so the wife won't mow over it. I kept away from it,hoping my dog won't find it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

Killdeer.  Now there's an unusual nester.  They love gravel, and often nest on gravel roads here in Maryland.  We had one nest on the gravel apron in front of my barn last year.  We have two cats who knew she was there.  So well hidden and camouflaged they never found the nest, and she raced away into the field when the chicks were large enough.  Boy, was I impressed.  Many is the time that I have driven down an eastern shore drive and come upon four pieces of firewood, laid out in a square on the gravel, marking a killdeer nest.  Nothing to do but drive slowly right over her head!  The display used to distract prey from the nest is truly remarkable.  One of my favorite birds.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

SwampDonkey

I saw a nesting pair of killdeer here to, most welcomed sound in spring time. They nest on plowed ground up here before farmers start scratching it for planting. We used to work around them, but I doubt many practice that.

Kill Deeer Kill Deeer Kill Deeer

miking

Got some new migrants this weekend: white-crowned sparrow, northern oriole, black-throated green warblers and rose-breasted grosbeak
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

SwampDonkey

The woods are full of white-throated sparrow now.

miking

Warbler sightings yesterday: chestnut sided, blue-winged, louisiana waterthrush, and I heard a nashville. Also saw an eastern kingbird.

tyb525

Looking out my window right now, I can see a male & female cardinal, a few sparrows, a yellow-bellied sapsucker, a blue-jay, and a large brown hen :D all pecking around the bird feeder.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

The ground is yellow, like spring flowers popping up, with goldfinches.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yeah we have those year round up here, but they loose their yellow plumage in winter. Mother calls them thistle birds.

Tom

We don't see them too often in Florida.  Granddad used to call them a Canary.

I've seen only one or two on my place in the last 20 years.  With colors that bright, the hawks don't have much trouble finding them.

SwampDonkey

You'll see them often in the Canada thistle after the seeds, that's why mother names them as such.

tyb525

We get them often in the summer, if we put out a finch feeder. They'll fight over positions on the feeder.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

Well, we finally sighted our first Ruby Throated Humming Bird around 6:00AM today.

We put the feeders up for them on Friday 5/6/11.

They usually arrive here between the 7th & 11th of May.

Overall, I think my favorite bird to listen to is the Whippoorwill.

We don't hear them around this area much anymore, just once in a while!

We had quite a few around the farm pond back when I was a kid!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Hasn't been a Whip-poor-will up here since they began spraying budworms in the 50's. My mother and uncle can remember them long before my time.

I notice the barn swallows have returned, but very few numbers. Almost too cold for them yet. It sure is a slow spring warmth wise. They called for snow showers in northern Maine over the weekend. ::) Had a thunderstorm last night and now the NW wind is cold. :D

doctorb

If there was a bird award for persistence, I would give the gold medal to the Phoebe.  Thye love to nest up under structures, and one decided to nest In the shed where I have my outdoor stove.  They were pooping all over it.  As they had just started to build their nest, I decided to "encourage" them to construct elsewhere.  I would go out, twice a day, and knock down the mud/grass foundation they kept building up under the eaves.  They kept building, and every 12 hours, I kept dismantling.

In the end, I had to put up a ladder and nail a board across the support they had chosen, blocking it completely.  They moved one joist out toward the edge of the roof and started again.  As the straight drop from this new position did not include my stove, I left them alone.  They are sitting on the nest now.  I kind of like this friendly flycatcher, but I don't need the excrement on my stove.  Seems we have struck an acceptable bargain.

Thank You Sponsors!