iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sthil 460

Started by woodmills1, March 01, 2002, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

anyone have a sthil 460 or should i just go to 066.  i have an 038 that really works plus my 028 collection.  i am felling many medium oaks and have a larger pine job next.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

KiwiCharlie

G'day woodmills,
The 046 (or ms460 they call it now) is about the same cc's as the 038, though has a bit more power.  If your 038 (a brilliant saw) is still running sweetly, then I would go for the 066, or you will have two saws in the same power range with the 038/046.  Youll never regret having a larger saw for the heavy jobs.
Hold on to those 028's too, many people regret selling one of them, they are one of Stihls best (probably more good luck than good management!!).
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Kevin

Millsy,
 That 038 is a good medium sized saw that is good for general bucking and limbing, I agree with Charlie that you won`t gain much by buying the 460 but you will with the 066.
The 066 really eats up the big stuff!

John_Boisselier

What you really need for the big hard stuff is an 084/088  8) ;D, Nothing stops them.  The 046 has a lot more torque and more RPM then the 038 does, but they are similar in category.  Realistically, If the oaks that you are working are 20" or less you won't gain much with an 066 but a heavier load to carry.  If you are cutting oaks larger than 30", an 084/088 will increase your production significantly over the 066.  So figure out your average timber size, and pick your saw.  In terms of Pine, The 046 will cut up to a 36" pine faster than it can fall when in good tune and sharp.  Of course with pine it may not even need to be sharp to cut it ;D.  Your biggest problem with pine is it can cut so easily, that you can cut it too fast and far and ruin your hinge controls for directional felling.  Keep cutting.  John
The Woodsman

Sawyerfortyish

Hey  woodmill
Got 2 038s like em a lot got a 044 what a piece of junk.Sthil rebilt it after the first 6 mos I had it. Bad bearings! got it back only ran it a little while and back to the dealer he had it over a year got it back ran a little while then seized up.I gave up on it. Just got a 460 like it a lot it`s not as heavy as the 66.If you upgrade the muffler to a double port muffler it increases the hp to almost that of the 66

John_Boisselier

hey sawyer40,
   where do you get a double port muffler for an 046/460?
The Woodsman

Sawyerfortyish

John
Another local logger showed me as I havn`t done this yet . He got this part from the Sthil rep in the area . It  increases hp by allowing the exhaust to leave from two  holes instead of the stock one hole muffler cap. The inproved cap has a hole in the center as well as one in the top back corner.The one drawback an increase in the noise of the saw. but he swears that the power  is almost equal to a 66

Bushwhacker

Woodmills1,
This is my first response on this forum( I joined it yesterday).
I have a Stihl MS 460 that I really like. I put a factory dual port muffler cover on it and it runs good. I've had the saw over a year. I don't know about running with an 066, I've never run one. The 460 is used for cutting Mesquites for firewood-that's what we have on our place(West Texas) I also use it in an Alaskian Mill milling Mesquite for my own use. I've been running smaller chain saws (50cc range) for about 15 years and still use them some but I like the 460. Good luck in your decision and stay safe. KL
KLH

Mark M

James I have one of each of those saws and I like them both. I wasn't completely happy with the MS460 for what I was cutting so I got the 066. I like it the best and that's what I would recommend for you. I can't imagine anyone east of the Missouri needing anything bigger.

Mark

woodmills1

just so you know I did buy an 066 soon after that post and love it, besides it is orange.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

tshanefreeman

I have the MS460 Arctic.................it's a great saw!  But I am quite intreged by the dual-ported muffler that a few of you have referred to!

Are there any adverse side-affects to this modification?

For example, by increasing the h.p., are you going to be heating up the saw and adversely shortening the lifespan of the saw.  If this is the case, I don't think that anyone could justify the benefit.

If anyone out there can shed some more light on this subject, please fill me in.  Thanks!
T. Shane Freeman
Total Landscape Solutions
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

...Helping Canadians Preserve Their Investment.

CWS

tshane,
Just the opposite will be true with the dual port cover. The saw will run cooler, and have more power. The high side will probably have to be richened up after installation, but you will like the results. I posted the part number on another thread here, I'll see if I can dig it up.

Scott

Oregon_Rob

QuoteIf anyone out there can shed some more light on this subject, please fill me in.  Thanks!

Do some searching on the term muffler and you will find quite a bit of info. It is pretty much accepted that opening up the muffler, with the correct carb setting lets a saw run cooler.
Chainsaw Nerd

oldsaw-addict

Yes opening up a muffler will allow it to run cooler and have more HP/torque and also allow your expensive machine to stay on the job for a few more years at least. The way I see it, if you enrich the high speed setting on the carb, the saw will run without problem for many many more years, plus the power gains are more than just subtle increases, they are in the range of HOLY CRAP I DIDNT KNOW THAT THING COULD DO THAT!!!!! The only downside to the double port muffler is that it makes the saw noticeably louder, not that I mind a louder saw. If we could just kill off the assumption that having a saw modified to increase HP will make it wear out sooner, We would be in great shape.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Sawyerfortyish

For those of you that are interested the stihl part # for the duel port exaust is(1128-140-0801) the cost is about 20 bucks. It will also fit an 044 as the 44 and 46 share the same muffler. Buy one put it on and notice the differance IT WILL NOT HURT YOUR SAW.

Plowboy

I have a 360 with a dual port muffler, and an 066 with a dual port muffler.  The saws do run a lot cooler and there seems to be a little more power there.  
The 066 is a amazing saw, there is a lot power and it cuts very fast.  We started using the 066 on our chainsaw mill, we put that saw through some serious use.  It took all that we threw at.  The only problem that we every had was the spark plug got loose and was blown out of the threads.  I took it to our local dealer and they put in a heli coil and it is fixed it good as new.  If you have some heavy cutting to do I highly recomend the 066, it is one great saw.  When we were not milling we used the 066 for cutting firewood, we never had a saw that would cut like that.  Plowboy

Mark M

Sawyer40 - Does that part number fit the 066 too? If not do you know the Stihl number for the 066 dual port muffler?

Mark

Sawyerfortyish

Mark that does not fit an 066 but I will tell you the 064 came stock with duel port muffler and the cover plate from an 064 fits right on the 66. But I don't have that part #.I see duel port mufflers on ebay all the time a guy buy the name of husky395 is always selling them.

Mark M

Thanks, my Stihl dealer said he had some part numbers to so I'll check with him too.

tshanefreeman

Sawyer,

I ordered the dual-port muffler number, 1128-140-0801, that you gave me, and it turned out to be a slightly different style single port, than what comes stock on the saw!

Please check the number on yours and let me know if there was any problem.  If not, I think that I have a distributor problem or something else!

Thanks,  Shane
T. Shane Freeman
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

CWS

tshane,

Sawyer gave you the right p/n. The part adds one port to your existing one port to give you two. It is just a cover, not a complete muffler assembly. You will like the gains, especially after you defeat your carb limiters and tune it properly.  ;D

Scott

tshanefreeman

Scott,

Thanks for the reply.  I never really looked at the new cover versus my old assembly until this morning.  It was then that I realized that I did have the right part.  One port on the rear and one on the new cover.  Not two on the new cover........... ::)

I must have had a brain-freeze.  Thanks for your input!
T. Shane Freeman

Rocky_J

QuoteI have the MS460 Arctic.................it's a great saw!  But I am quite intreged by the dual-ported muffler that a few of you have referred to!

Are there any adverse side-affects to this modification?

For example, by increasing the h.p., are you going to be heating up the saw and adversely shortening the lifespan of the saw.  If this is the case, I don't think that anyone could justify the benefit.

If anyone out there can shed some more light on this subject, please fill me in.  Thanks!
Quite the contrary. The tiny exchaust outlets on today's saws for sale in the US have come about as a result of EPA mandates for lower emissions. The tiny exhaust outlets cause the muffler to heat up and not allow as much exhaust to flow, thereby 'cooking' the exhaust inside the muffler and burning more of the unburnt fuel instead of just letting it exit the muffler. This raises the temperature of the saw tremendously and also reduces power, as well as shortening the life of the saw. But the manufacturers do what they can to pass the EPA mandated requirements.

Enlarging the exhaust outlet simply allows the saw to run like it was designed to run. It reduces exhaust temps and lets the saw flow more exhaust, which in turn allows more fuel to enter the cylinder and produce more power.

Be sure to adjust your carb if you open up the muffler. The saw will flow more fuel so you will need to richen up the carb jetting. If you only open the muffler and do not adjust the carb, the saw will likely be running too lean.I think the Madsen's carb tuning instruction page is linked around here somewhere, best carb adjustment instructions I've seen.

Thank You Sponsors!