iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

logging to supply timber for framing project

Started by Stemmi, June 27, 2009, 02:21:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stemmi

Hello folks,

I would like to build a home made of a timber frame on the interior and a stick frame for the exterior walls, using straw bales as infill. Now my questions:

1. Would I be able to harvest trees (mainly cedar and some pine) from my own property to reduce costs, or should I just purchase the material at the hardware store.

2. Do I have to get the lumber graded/tested to ensure quality?

3. Would Cedar be good enough for the construction?

4. I live near Sacramento, anybody here with a mobile saw mill who could help?

That's it for now. Thank you in advance for your reply.

- Karsten

beenthere

Karsten
Welcome to the forum.

Answers to your questions could most likely be "yes" for all, but don't know a name for the last one.

#2 would be graded for meeting local building codes.

#3, yes if the quality is good enough.

What pine do you have? ponderosa ?  Western white?

Hope we can be of some more help to you.

And we like pics.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ErikC

I was doing some backhoe work for a man building one yesterday, in Hayfork CA. I cut the frame 2 summers ago off his property, it is doug fir. Quality-wise its top notch. I don't understand about stick framing the exterior and straw bales though. I have seen only post and beam or timberframe exterior with straw infill, if there's any stick framing it's interior.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Stemmi

Thank you for your reply, guys. I looking forward to getting more information and hopefully finding someone able to help logging and sawing. (Not for free, of course.)

I will go out to our parcel this weekend again and check more thoroughly the kind of pine we have.

Thank You Sponsors!