iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Calling All TimberKing Owners

Started by fstedy, January 26, 2007, 11:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fstedy

It would be nice to know who amongst us is a TK owner. Especially the B-20 owners so that we know who to contact for help when we run into specific problems with our mills. I know posting on the FF is usually the preferred method but with our limited group here many times you don't get the answer promptly. Wouldn't it be great to have a Bibbyman that uses a TK mill. He and several others seem to know all the specifics on the ORANGE side and it would be nice to have some goto TK members.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Bibbyman

We're TimberKing owners.  We have one of their blowers!  Does that count?

Here is a link to a post I made about or visit and tour of TimberKing.

Bibbyman visits TimberKing
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fstedy

;D ;D ;D You Da man BIBBY you and everyone is welcome just posted it to flush some of us TK'ers out. Who's gonna be the first to expand on flush I know its comming!
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.

LeeB

I got orange and red too. The red is only a 1200 though. Can't help you with the B20. I used the 1200 for about 6 years before moving over to an LT40 Super. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Kcwoodbutcher

I run a 1600 but if you have problems with a B-20 give me a holler, I have some contacts at TK and maybe I can help.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

ladylake

I've had a B20 for a little over 4 years about 5000 hours, any troubles give a holler.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

rewimmer

I have a new TK B-20 and have to go completely through it and repair many problems because of improper assembly. They are great mills and the company is selling more than they can produce so they are really, according to mine, throwing them together. I can rebuild them now and do service work on them. Mine only has 107 hours and I believe all the kinks are worked out of it now except one. The head will not go all the way up to the limit switch and I have adjusted the clearances per their service dept. The problem I think is in the lead screws that raises and lowers the head but it is under warranty and I ask them to fix it. TK said they would come by when in this area next time and take a look at it. I would enjoy communicating with other B-20 owners.
Robert in Virginia

sgtmaconga

I have a 1220 that i got in november. love the mill and the people at timberking are great too. i've even seen the boss of timberking posting here on the ff
Measure twice cut once

LeeB

Mr.. Johnson has posted a few times but not many. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

flip

I'm in the mix too. ;)

Flip

And to add to this I wish TK would update their site.  When I was out there I saw so many cool things that other TK owners would love to know and probably buy (eg blade swab/luber.)  How about the new models that have a higher HP engine and the self loading loader arms.  Since I started looking at and for mills, their site has not changed.  I said something to a few of the sales guys and a few of the guys that were working on my mill but I have seen nothing yet. PLEASE UPDATE THE TK WEB SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Samh200

Hello... I'm a TK B-20 owner also. I'm way down south in Ms, on the Gulf Coast. I'm new to this forum but im glad i found it, it looks like a nice warm place. I got my mill in july of 06. I got the mill for personal use and a litte job here and there and really injoy it alot. "BUT" i have had my ups and downs with it mainly dipping and wavy boards but i also think it alot to do with me and my Professional sharping and tooth setting skills  ::) the dipping boards dont bother me alot except my pride. I just build barns and sheds and ruff cut jobs here and there so its not a big deal. but i do want to fix this problem before i need to do nice job for the public.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

We've all made wavy boards, it's just part of the learning process. :) What kind of logs are you sawing? White spruce drives me crazy with the knot waves, like white pine myself.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Samh200

Greg Cook

TK 1200 parked here.  And, like others, I have had to do some reworking/modification work.  And all of it stemming from careless factory assembly. They have been quite handy to supply any parts I need, but some things just had to be fabricated as I went.  I am happy with the current status of it, but it's been a long road getting here.  Makes me glad a got the smallest and not a full-size mill, as I'd still be retro-fitting ;D

And I want to say how much I enjoyed everything and everybody at the Final Gathering last October.  A really beautiful orange autumn day.  I'll be going back there again, I just know it.  ;)
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

fstedy

I'm working on a logdog retrofit for my B20 similar to the WM but with a rack and pinion driven by a hydraulic motor. Called TK 2 times about a retrofit and was promised information I'M STILL WAITING 3 MONTHS LATER!!! . I know the're one of our sponsors but how can you do business with them if they won't respond. Maybe Mr. Johnson should have a talk with his sales staff.

Dave Shepard

Samh200, I generally have good luck sawing pine and oak. I do have some trouble with oak logs that have a steep butt swell, blade tends to rise and fall in the first foot or so. If I go slow, I can usually get through it ok, frozen is the worst. I am running older Wood Mizers, but the same principles should apply to most any bandmill, here are some things I have done to help avoid waves:

Aligned blade guide rollers and bandwheels.

Tensioned drive belt, it it's loose, the band can slow down in tough spots and cause a wave.

Maintaining proper band tension. I find that after running a little, the band tension can back off a little bit, this, too, can cause a wave.

Bands. I fortunately haven't had to mess with bands very much, but the wrong band can really cause trouble. We run Wood Mizer DoubleHards and use their Resharp service. We run a 10° for most sawing, and a 4° for frozen or very difficult sawing. There are a few people on here that have more bands than I'll ever need, I am sure they can help out if you have any sharpening questions. There are also many old topics related to sharpening, a search should yield plenty of results.

Is there anything TK specific you TK guys could add?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

flip

I've learned that if you want to speak to someone that follows through and "get's it" you need to speak to Mike Anderson.  If we had the sales guys here at our car dealer that they had we would be out of business.  Understand now that I love my B20 and will buy another one in the next few years but their sales staff is not good.  My last experience I had I got someone elses order, I called the guy because it looked like a hot order (overnight).  I called the customer myself and shipped it to him.  I got a "thanks" from their sales guy and had to still wait 2 weeks for mine.  I sent Johnson an email to let him know my situation and how it was handled.  Never got one back.
I have suggested several times that they need to update their site and I guess the right people STILL havn't seen or read these boards.  There are so many things that TK has to offer that most people don't know exist because the site is bare bones.
I saw the prototype dog when I was out there.  Basically you add 1 new hydraulic port (have to cut a notch out of the control station).  Add some lines.  The up and down on the dog is a hydraulic cylinder set up like WM.  Back and forth is a hydraulic motor that runs the shuttle back and forth on #40 chain.  If Getoverit still has his mill the dogs on it are built almost exactly like TKs (don't ask me how I know) ;)

TK has a great product that serves a bunch of sawyers well, just wish they had the cust service to back it up. :)
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

SamB

New owner of TK1220. Very satisfied with it's performance so far. Even a rookie can make some good looking boards !
Thanks FF for the educating info and interesting reading.
Sam

Rodney Sinclair

Another 1220 owner down here in lower Arkansas.

Rodney

sgtmaconga

Hey Rodney

What issues have you run up on?

i had an issue with the trolly bearings running dry so i drilled out some bolys and added grease fittings to shoot into the bearings.
Measure twice cut once

fishman

in 3 years i have replaced guide bearings and trolley wheels, had sevaral minor problems(,part were mine)  I have never had problem with anyone at TK, parts were sent quickly, all calls were returned same day, they were the only mill co. that acted interested in talking to me before i bought mine, that played a major part in my decision,  i dont think i should have beg someone to take my money for anything,  just my 2 cents

BillI

Just purchased a used TK B-20 and had some problems. Some problems were solved by Mike at TimberKing and the bigest problem with breaking bands was solved thanks to member rewimmer he known the B-20 inside and out !!  Thanks again Robert.

rewimmer

You are welcome Bill and I see you are taking up my habits and tracking this forum as well.
By the way I changed the oil mixture in the modification to the lead screws. They are now running in 80W90 & bar oil mixed half and half. The 80W90 seems a little thin when I changed it and the acme threads should have a little heaver oil in this warmer weather. It is good to hear from all these TK owners.
Robert in Virginia

thecfarm

SamB and BillI welcome to the forum.What's the plan with the sawmills? Going into business,sawing for yourself?Going to buy logs?Building anything?   :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SamB

Quote from: thecfarm on April 04, 2008, 09:08:17 PM
SamB and BillI welcome to the forum.What's the plan with the sawmills? Going into business,sawing for yourself?Going to buy logs?Building anything?   :)
[My plan is to saw some of my own timber for personal use. The first project is a saw shed for the TK1220.
Sam/quote]

Thank You Sponsors!