iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging in Louisiana swamp. 1925

Started by Ward Barnes, December 18, 2013, 08:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Ward Barnes

Shown are Pirogues.  A Pirogue is a flat bottom canoe designed to turn over (been there done that).  These guys are cutting cypress trees while standing in the Pirogue. 
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Autocar

Very interesting after watching that a fellow can understand why we have rules about the environment. But they worked hard to get the job done thanks for scharing.
Bill

Texas Ranger

Back in the day when men were men, and so were someof the women.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Claybraker

I'm a little confused. At the start of the clip, they show someone taking a load of Spanish Moss to gin. I've put tonic water in gin, I've put tomato juice, horseradish, woo sauce, celery etc in gin, I've even put grapefruit juice in gin.

When we were kids, my sister got the bright idea to gather Spanish Moss, pile it in the back of my Grandfather's wagon, and let him pull us around for a hayride. The red bugs et us alive. So what was it they were using Spanish Moss for back in the day?

GDinMaine

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 21, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Back in the day when men were men, and so were some of the women.

I'm sure they all had a handful of coal dust in their soup too.  Labor and life were cheap then.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Texas Ranger

I remember rubberized spanish moss used in furniture cushion before foam.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

CX3

WHEW I cannot imagine the irreversible effects of erosion those men caused on the banks of that river.  But they knew no better.  I am glad we do it different now.  Well some of us do.  Thanks for sharing
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

WDH

Quote from: Claybraker on December 21, 2013, 06:51:16 PM
The red bugs et us alive. So what was it they were using Spanish Moss for back in the day?

You got that right.  Spanish moss is a Red Bug Hotel. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Claybraker

Must of been a regional thing. Around these parts, dipping turpentine was the big industry.

Southside

Pretty neat video.  The remains of a similar "train dump" are at the edge of Big Eagle Lake along the Allagash river in Maine.  I have seen the tramway, tracks and locomotives, what is still there, pretty neat to see how it actually worked.  Imagine what OSHA would say about that set up today!!!
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hilltop366

Big timber little dozer

My dad and grandfather jacked the trains up 
Yep that's what I thought

Thank You Sponsors!