iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huge red oaks. Too big for wm

Started by 123maxbars, March 22, 2015, 08:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

My next saw is proberly gonna be a 395 one of these years.  I have a few huskys.  Waiting to find one that impresses me!  I have a few Stihls that will start first pull in cold weather even when been sitting for weeks on end, and then other Stihls that start after 2-3 pulls.  Then there's the Huskies, and they like foreplay...
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

My new 395 likes it cold. 1 pull choke, 1pull unchoked and away you go. Take it out of the warm garage and it likes an extra pull on choke.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

My boss got a bad batch of 372 xtorqs.  He got 4 of them, and they were a pain.  The one designated to me would die when I turned it on its side..  Full tank of fuel, new filter, good gas.  It'd take 30 pulls to start it some days.  Had to make sure to put it on high idle if engine was warm but it was cold out.  Didn't have enough power cutting hardwoods with a 24" bar.  My 372xpw I have now is an x torq wearing a 28" bar that is way too big for it once it wears out I plan on going to a 24" with it.  The thing that makes me pick up the 372 is the way it drives.  It rides like a cadillac.  So smooth.  I have a 461r that is a beast I love that saw.  One of the first ones that came out, still has tunable carb.  When I got it they still had 460s on the shelf the guys over at AS convinced me to go 461. 
Boy, back in my day..

Lumber Grader

The old timers used to drill a hole to the center pith and stuff the hole with black powder and rags (I guess rags or ate least some kind of stuffing.) They would light a long fuse and RUN RUN RUN---FAST AND FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!  Go to You Tube and put in "Splitting Logs Black Powder".  Pretty interesting.  I have a buddy that his father used to run a 8" band mill and they cut a lot of huge swamp logs that were too large for their 8' band headrig!!!!!!!!! (That would be huge!!!!)  He told me they would always split them with black powder and then saw them.

fishpharmer

DonK and I split this big red oak with his Husky and my Stihl and the bottle jack.

https://youtu.be/OIDLVhGN4eY
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Not all bottle jacks will operate in the horizontal position.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logboy

After watching these guys split a log by hand, using a chainsaw seems like the hard way of doing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12PN8gaQ4Y
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WDH on March 23, 2015, 08:44:59 PM

Love to see a video of you doing this Jake, ever made one?   

Once you get that cut started does it still feel like you are holding the saw horizontal to keep going straight, or does it feel more like that weight is off and  you are just pushing it along?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 24, 2015, 08:51:05 AM

Once you get that cut started does it still feel like you are holding the saw horizontal to keep going straight, or does it feel more like that weight is off and  you are just pushing it along?

I am assuming you are talking to me. ;D There is getting to be a few Jake's on this place and I am not sure where I rate. :D If it is me you are talking to then the answer is no. I have never made a video while splitting a log.  If someone brings one large enough for the next project maybe we will get a video of it on here. Of course that will be the time that I really mess up. :D
Before I get the cut started I walk around the log and look at the far end. To see where I want to come our at. Pick a place in the bark that you can remember, while you are sawing. Go back to the other end and stick the saw in the wood. Aim for the mark on the bark that you picked at the other end and start sawing. I have tried to use chalk line and it don't work. It is like trying to drive while looking at the white line beside the truck. ;) You will have to lift the weight of the saw head off of the bar or the far end will want to crawl up on you. Try not to look at where the saw is cutting but where you want the saw to cut. I know it is easier said than done but I hope this clears it up a bit.
This is one of those things that are like trying to tell someone what a banana taste like. I don't know how to explain how I do it, I just do it. :D I hope this helps in some way.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

fishfighter

Quote from: logboy on March 24, 2015, 01:09:09 AM
After watching these guys split a log by hand, using a chainsaw seems like the hard way of doing things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y12PN8gaQ4Y

That was the way I was shown how the build boats. That is a lost art. It breaks my heart that no one in my family build boats anymore. I'm the last one as far as big boats. BUT, in the last couple years, I been pasting on how to build a pirogue. Been having some free classes at my house that takes a weekend and everybody goes home with one.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: customsawyer on March 24, 2015, 07:18:45 PM
Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on March 24, 2015, 08:51:05 AM

I am assuming you are talking to me. ;D There is getting to be a few Jake's on this place and I am not sure where I rate. :D If it is me you are talking to then the answer is no. I have never made a video while splitting a log.  If someone brings one large enough for the next project maybe we will get a video of it on here. Of course that will be the time that I really mess up. :D
Before I get the cut started I walk around the log and look at the far end. To see where I want to come our at. Pick a place in the bark that you can remember, while you are sawing. Go back to the other end and stick the saw in the wood. Aim for the mark on the bark that you picked at the other end and start sawing. I have tried to use chalk line and it don't work. It is like trying to drive while looking at the white line beside the truck. ;) You will have to lift the weight of the saw head off of the bar or the far end will want to crawl up on you. Try not to look at where the saw is cutting but where you want the saw to cut. I know it is easier said than done but I hope this clears it up a bit.
This is one of those things that are like trying to tell someone what a banana taste like. I don't know how to explain how I do it, I just do it. :D I hope this helps in some way.
Yes referring to you in WDHs pic. Thanks.  I remember you saying some of this before somewhere.  Probably going to try this sometime in the next month or so but with an 880 with either a 41" or 59" bar.  Can't imagine holding that saw up though horizontal for very long, and was wondering how much you really have to hold it up once you get it into the wood (compared to when you're starting the cut.  I guess I have to see what happens.  thanks again
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

WDH

@customsawyer (Jake) and a 115 year old southern red oak (Quercus falcata).  He split that log near perfect.  I had some chalk and went to mark on the log before he started, and he just scowled at me.   I backed off with the chalk and kept quiet. 

I am a man that knows his limitations  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

customsawyer

@terrifictimbersllc You don't have to hold very much of the weight like you do at the start of the cut. You have to hold a little but not much.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LaneC

That sure is a fine cut on that log. That is a very good eye. I am not hijacking, but that sure is a fine pirogue also.
Man makes plans and God smiles

fishfighter

Why thanks on the pirogue. It was a special built. Not a single nail was used. All glue and wood dowels. I had built it to raffle off to help raise moneys for my brother that is fighting cancer.

And yes, one heck of a job tackling a big log like that. That is something I know I wouldn't take on.   

4x4American

DanG Jake nailed that! 

Nice pirogue too! Ready to pole her down the bayou?
Boy, back in my day..

MattJ

Thought I would throw in that I've been to the site shown in the video with the guys splitting logs by hand and building viking longships.  It's in Roskilde Denmark and an absolutely awesome place.  Here are a few of my pictures from the visit. The quartered pieces in the last picture were bandsawed somehow.  You could tell by the saw marks on the log and a guy there confirmed thats how it was sawed but couldn't explain how as his english was limited and I speak no Danish at all.

Matt

4x4American

Bandsawn!  :-X   Why that's cheating!!

That was a cool video, thanks for the pictures!  Good to know that there are still folks out there doing things old school.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Do you guys find that full comp is better than skip chain for ripping?  I dislike sharpening a full comp chain on a 36" bar!  I have a grinder but prefer to file.  I will grind them to 10 degrees for rip chain and then file to touch up. 
Boy, back in my day..

WV Sawmiller

@fishfighter  - Good looking pirogue. I had an old buddy (like an adopted Grandfather) who built a few boats in NW Fl.  He started with a couple of wide cypress or juniper boards for sides, used brass nails, etc. Last he built had removable seats and catwalks to keep it light as he was getting up in years. I always regret I never got him to build me one when I was in my late teens or early 20's.

I worked several projects in west/central Africa and was amazed at the craftsmanship they exhibited building big heavy boats out of planks. They'd use 7 planks, angle each perfectly from bow to stern, joined with wide staples and filled the seams with caulk and sisal twine (one used melted Styrofoam). They use these heavy boats for fishing, hauling sand/gravel they dig/dive for in the mangroves, hauling lumber they cut in the forest and as water taxies/buses. They'd load the boats to within 2" of the gunnels with sand or gravel. Looked like a light chop would have sunk them. I've seen them poling down those dark muddy jungle rivers stark naked heading to a landing to unload. All boats were built with just hand tools as all they had.

I watched them there in Africa and Indians on the Amazon cutting boards in the forest with just a chainsaw. They'd cut very accurate boards about 1-1/4" thick and never chalk a line. I watched one guy in Guinea a few years ago. When I split a log I start at one end back up with it. He started on one end and walked to the other cutting as he went and were darned accurate. Those guys amazed me with their skills.

@MattJ  - I saw a documentary once where they said one of the reasons the Viking longboats were so strong was they had split the boards out of the Scandinavian hardwoods which meant they ran with the grain and gave stronger building materials than if they had cut them with a saw. Evidently the split boards had more strength and flex than sawn boards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

logboy

Pardon the obvious, but dont any of you guys have access to a swingblade mill or a slabber for those big logs? Ive spent entire days just chunking up large logs for a customer to resaw on a Woodmizer. I can do multiple logs in the time it takes you to just split one with a chainsaw.

I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

fishfighter

Vw. the way we did big skiffs was hand split cypress sinker logs for planks. Now with fiberglass, one doesn't see people down here building them the old way. Kind of been that way the last 30 years.

Dave Shepard

logboy, I don't know of anybody with a slabber around here. I know one guy had a Lucas swinger and a WM, but he sold the WM to a local timber framer and moved to MO. I don't know what he did with the swinger. I'd like a slabber some day, but it wouldn't be anytime soon.

Clark

Those Scandinavians do make splitting a log look easy. I can't help but notice that they are working with some pretty nice logs, too! Compare that with the mess of a log that Magicman posted earlier and somewhere between those two there must be a cut-off in quality where wedges work well and where a saw of some sort has to take over. Both methods are interesting and both have their limits. Figurin' out those limits might be more of an education than any of us think!

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

Thank You Sponsors!