iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Elk!!

Started by rooster 58, January 19, 2013, 08:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster 58

My Uncle came up yesterday for the weekend. This morning after breakfast we went to check out some land for sale to put my mill on. Not what I'm look'n for :(
     After that we drove to Elk country, in and around Benezette, Pa. Started around 3 in the afternoon. In two hrs. we saw at least 120 elk, including 2 large bulls sparring. We watched them from about 30 ft. away 8) Another large bull was off to the side. I'd estimate the 2 fighters would go about 310 and 330, while the bystander would score 340 or better. Gotta try to load photos from Unc's camera to the puter so I can post them ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I don't believe you, so I'm waiting on the pictures Rooster.  :D ( just poking at you)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

rooster 58

Haha Poston! I'm gonna need some help. And I dont have the right cable for my Unc's camera :-\ But I will see what I can do. It was awesome to see that. Last month, on the way to watch the Steelers get beat by Dallas, There were 5 nice bulls in a yard. We stopped and watched them all take turns spar, sometimes within 15 ft. of the truck ;D ;)

justallan1

Here's a few trying to fix one of my fences.

thecfarm

Nice picture of a "few" elk.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

rooster 58

Ok, I have the pics loaded to the puter. When I get back from the Doc i'll  see if this redneck can get 'em posted for y'all to check out ;)

pappy19

Here's a picture out our back door in Idaho.

2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

beenthere

Pappy
Nice pic Pappy

Thanks Jeff ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

moosehunter

Rooster,
We have taken a long weekend for the last three years to go to Benezette and watch the Elk. Last years weekend lasted from Sunday - Thursday. The weekend seems to get longer every year!

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on January 21, 2013, 12:31:18 PM
The dreaded red X   ::) ::)

Pappy
Go to your post and click on modify, to clean it up. :)  Click on Preview to check when it is clean. ;)

You have the cart in the horse, so to speak.

I fixed it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

rooster 58

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Wow,,,,thanks Rooster. A lot of us don't get to see pics like this.

"Camp Ruff-Cut", I like it!  :)

What's the little box under the window for? Flowers?

rooster 58

I don't really know. It's just a cabin along the road down by Hicks Run. I'm glad you like the photos. I have more of some cows from last year if you would like to see ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: rooster 58 on January 22, 2013, 10:32:24 AM
    I don't really know. It's just a cabin along the road down by Hicks Run. I'm glad you like the photos. I have more of some cows from last year if you would like to see ;D

COWS?   say_what  :D

clww

Great pictures, all. I especially like the two bulls by the "No Trespassing" sign. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

hardtailjohn

We have quite a few around here too that "fix" fences for us.....   No matter how high the top wire is, or whether it's a 3 wire or 4 wire fence, they take the top wire everytime. >:(  In spite of that, I still love to watch them out here on our meadows...
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

justallan1

Great pictures Rooster. I have bunches of them and all the other wildlife around here. I never leave the house without my little pocket sized camera.
All of our stack yards have 8' tall square wire fences and 8' gates with rail road ties for braces and corners to keep the elk out and I've had to replace better than a 100' gap in my pasture fences due to elk running through them, but still a small price to pay for living this lifestyle.

rooster 58

Hardtail and Allan, yep those elk are hard on fences. The locals don't like the elk much. When my girlfriend was young her favorite horse was gored by a bull, after they repeatedly broke the fence. The Game Commission wouldn't do anything about it. They said horses weren't considered livestock >:(
    They also like to rake their antlers on houses and the occasional car or truck.
    But the real problem are the sightseers who park in yards and driveways, walk thru yards with cameras and don't ask permission to do so.

rooster 58

Oh hey Allan, I forgot to thank you for helping me post these pics. And if ya need help with elk control, I could probably come out there with my bow or rifle and helpya ;D

Ron Scott

Great Elk pictures! It looks like that PA elk heard is doing well.
~Ron

justallan1

No problem Rooster. I was hoping that I was telling you right, I had someone tell me the day or so before.

If you look close there are elk acrossed the creek and behind the trees. I think that was the big herd we have running around here.

rooster 58

Awesome Allan! I love Montana ;D I hope to make it to your neck of the woods one day. I tried a couple of years ago, I drew the Bull tag, but not the archery permit :(

Thank You Sponsors!