iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D log style cabin construction

Started by fireman05, March 03, 2008, 07:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fireman05

A friend of mine is looking to build (2) 12x16' cabins on his campground facility and is looking to do them in D style log construction with butt and pass corners.  They will be summer camping cabins only.  He asked me to supply the logs and kiln dry them if they needed to be.  A few questions:
1.Do the logs need to be kiln dried? If so to what %MC?

2.When they are stacked, what method of fastening them does he use?  If he were to use log screws, how far apart?

3.Does he need to use a spline between log courses to reduce air gaps or does he need to use a commercial sealant?

Neither of us know much about building a cabin with logs so any help or suggestions would be great.
Wood Mizer LT40G Manual, Nyle L200 kiln, Logosol PH260 Moulder, Kubota L4300 with Farmi winch

jbeat

You may find useful, the International Log builder's Association - 2002 Standards.
John B

pineywoods

Fireman05 I built one close to what you are planning. There's a post on here somewhere with pics. I got away with using green logs but all the logs were about the same size and age and all came from one small patch of woods. They did shrink, but it was fairly uniform. I used a big router to mill a 3/4 inch groove in the top and bottom of each log and put  3/4 inch spline in it. That plus sealant would make the cabin nearly airtight. Milled straight tails on the ends of the logs, used large spikes through the tails and through the window and door frames. Plan on lots of roof overhang to keep the rain off the logs.
Roof will be metal, floor tongue and groove oak.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawdust

fireman, since you will need to have them run through a planer to get the D profile any way have them put in knives for double tongue and groove at the same time.
sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

pineywoods

Quote from: sawdust on March 03, 2008, 09:39:06 PM

fireman, since you will need to have them run through a planer to get the D profile any way have them put in knives for double tongue and groove at the same time.
sawdust

Don't need no planer.  Did mine on WM  LT40
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!