iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

At long last I might actually make some money

Started by Ernie, May 19, 2011, 03:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

WDH

I wish it were the same here but stumpage prices are still low.  Makes it frustrating to grow trees for years and get prices that were being paid 20 years ago.  But, this economic mess has been very bad for a great number of people.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cedarman

WDH, you could grow cedars in Ok and then pay $75 to $100 per acre to have someone cut them and then ask us to come grind them or you could pay someone else to push them up and burn them.   We have looked at some fields we cleared 6 years ago and there is a fine crop of seedlings growing.  See, you don't even have to replant.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pigman

Cedarman, that sounds like a deal I would like to get into. Maybe WDH and I could be pardners in an enterprise  like that.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sandhills

Quote from: Cedarman on May 19, 2011, 11:21:17 PM
WDH, you could grow cedars in Ok and then pay $75 to $100 per acre to have someone cut them and then ask us to come grind them or you could pay someone else to push them up and burn them.   We have looked at some fields we cleared 6 years ago and there is a fine crop of seedlings growing.  See, you don't even have to replant.
Just like this,

After renting a machine this winter to cut them I wish I could've got enough down to make it worth the while for Cedarman to come up and grind them, I would give them to him to get rid of the mess I made, but as it stands most will get piled and burnt.  The picture is ones I cut for posts and a few saw logs, I rented a tree saw and a big skidsteer later and got rid of a lot of the bigger trees but there is hundreds of thousands of little ones left for a brush saw to get.  :(

WDH

Wouldn't controlled burns control them?  Is it too dry and dangerous to burn?

Bob, we would make fine partners.  See, if we split the loss, it is only half bad  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

That's just plain disheartening, sandhills. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sandhills

I probably shouldn't have used that picture, that was just a small bunch of cedars that were around a big old cottonwood, they're not that thick out in the open pasture and the trouble with most of them is the cattle have rubbed and mauled them down to where they won't make decent saw logs.  They usually end up with 3 or so trunks growing out of the same stump (if that makes sense), anything with one or two good logs in it will be kept for saw logs or posts, but there isn't a whole lot of them.  Controlled burns do work, but this is only on 80 acres and it has an L shaped tree line in it that we want to keep and the majority of the trees that need to go start from the tree line and spread out from there.  I really would rather not take the chance although I'm sure it can be/has been done.

tcsmpsi

Oh, I don't know...Actually I find it the explanation and thought behind it, more than worth the initial 'shock'.   :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!