iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I.d. help

Started by alanh, September 19, 2017, 04:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanh

Pulled this tree out of the Ct river, I`ll assume its from Ct but could`ve come from from farther north, I`ve been told its chestnut oak, poplar, cottonwood....

alanh

JohnW

I'd say it looks a lot like yellow poplar

sandhills

Just judging by the bark left I'm going with cottonwood, with that being said I'm not familiar with poplar, just guessing.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tobryant1

Looks very similar to old growth Poplar to me, but there are lots of different types.  Cotton wood is related.  Regardless if it's Poplar it is one of my favorites to cut and build with.  Beautiful colors inside.
Tennessee is the place for me

Massey Ferguson 2705e
Woodmizer LT15 go Diesel (sold)
Timberking 1400 Diesel
Timberking 2000 Diesel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with 5.9 Cummins

Bogue Chitto

That is what I thought right when I saw the picture also, Cottonwood.

Magicman

We never did get a picture of the sawn lumber from that log.  Yes, Poplar is a favorite species to saw and the heartwood is much darker than the sapwood.  I have never sawn Cottonwood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

newoodguy78

The bark looks a lot like ash but I could be wrong

Hewer of Wood

1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

moodnacreek

The sap wood [blue stained] looks like tulip but the bark looks like aspen that grows along the rivers.  If aspen [cotton wood] the bark peels with thin sheets, on the tulip whole.

Thank You Sponsors!