iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sliding Glass Doors : Pella vs Anderson

Started by lowpolyjoe, October 03, 2015, 11:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

I been pricing sliding glass doors recently.  Looking for a vinyl model with blinds between the panes of glass.  Not much selection, but I just heard that Pella had a patent on that until somewhat recently?

Home Depot has some American Craftsman (I think) that says "By Anderson" on it, but I was not impressed with it.

We went to a Pella showroom and liked the door they had.   We went to an Anderson showroom and saw the door that *would* come with blinds, but apparently that's a new option and they didn't start shipping them yet.

I preferred the look of the Pella.  We couldn't get a firm quote on the Anderson, but it looks like both doors will be within $100 or $200 of eachother.  I thought both brands were reputable, but I just did some reading and sounds like some people are claiming the newer Pella doors are "not what they used to be".     Considering the integrated blinds is a new thing for Anderson, I guess there's probably nobody out there with experience with them.  I don't usually like buying brand new products that have no track record.

Anyone have experience with the current generation of vinyl sliders from Pella and Anderson and have any feedback?   

Thanks a lot,
Joe

Bruno of NH

I like the workings of an Anderson slider have installed many no call backs . Not sold on pella they change parts a lot .
But have had blinds in the glass for many years .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Just Me

I absolutely HATE Pella! Worst engineered junk on the market with really good salesmen

I make customers sign a waiver at this point if they insist on Pella that lets me off the hook when they fail. I am currently working on a house that I built 16 years ago and the architect insisted on Pella. Its on Lake Michigan, four stories tall with about 90 windows and they are all failing. Unfortunately they waited too long to call and water had got into the walls, a real mess, and an expensive one. Would not put them in a dog house. Not what they used to be? Thats scary being as the were junk before. The blinds in the middle are a pain and those are not true thremopane windows. I would skip the blinds in the glass no matter what brand.

Do not use many sliders up here because of our climate, they tend to let too much air through. Most of my work is on the Great Lakes so wind is an issue so....... I am not really sure what the best slider is.

I will say that Anderson does not back their windows/doors the way they used to. I have one house I built with 24 Anderson Frenchwoods that are coming apart. The lamination is coming off of the outside after 18 years and they are not being very helpfull. This started years ago and they basically tell me I will have to buy new slabs. Its the lamination on the bottom rail and I am going to try some brushed stainless kick plates on them first. They were my go to company for years, but I no longer feel that way.

In a reasonably priced window my new go to is Marvin. I have had good support when I needed it, and the quality is very good. It is what I put in my own house recently. Their Integrity line, a fiberglass frame,  looks like wood but should never have a problem. Todays tight homes are tougher on windows.

Larry

snowstorm

i had 2 8ft anderson sliders. put them in when i built the house in the late 70's. being 4ft they were heavy opened hard leaked cold air and the screens are useless. now before someone says but it was old. i bought new anderson swinging doors to replace them. they are better. the anderson tech rep was here to try and get them to work better and touch up the paint that came off them. the screens are the same just as bad

Roxie

Twenty-three years ago, I selected a Pella WOOD sliding door - 6 ft with floor board toe lock and sliding screen door.  The outside of the door is aluminum clad.  It has not only survived 2 boys growing up, now 5 grandchildren running in and out.  The slider faces directly south, so I applied two coats of Spar varnish to the interior wood finish. 

Never had a repair, never had a glitch with sliding, toe lock and door lock function perfectly, it's draft free, and beyond wiping the exterior aluminum with soap and water twice a year, and washing the windows (of course), it has been maintenance free.  It's as beautiful today as it was when it was installed. 

Say when

Sixacresand

I had my single pane windows replaced by Window World.  I was very impressed by the drop in my electric bill.  I paid for the them with the energy savings in about two years.  I don't know if they offer sliding glass doors. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

lowpolyjoe

Thanks everybody.

The built-in blinds is very attractive for for us.  We're remodeling our kitchen and want to keep it looking neat by not hanging blinds over the door.  We get a lot of afternoon sun through that door so need some sort of cover (in summer, at least). 

Not sure yet what we're gonna end up doing, but I appreciate hearing everyone's experiences.

Magicman

Quote from: lowpolyjoe on October 04, 2015, 10:04:42 PMThe built-in blinds is very attractive for for us.  We're remodeling our kitchen and want to keep it looking neat by not hanging blinds over the door. 
We did not use a sliding door, but these are the double rear entrance doors at the Cabin.

Blinds inside of the double panes.

From the inside before the facings.  I do not remember the brand but they came from Home Depot.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lowpolyjoe

Doors look great Magicman.

I think the integrated blinds are very classy looking.   Also prevents the pets from playing with and destroying hanging blinds  :D

Thank You Sponsors!