iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loaded wheels

Started by cheyenne, September 05, 2008, 07:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cheyenne

Has anyone out there ever loaded the wheels of a four wheeler with anti-freeze. If so what were the results. Works on my tractor & backhoe so i was pondering while pulling logs today. Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

isawlogs

Never gave it a thought ..... But I dont imagine it would do much , as for the size of the tires the quantity of liquide would not amount to much weight . Well that what I think .. I have been known to be wrong a time or three   ;)  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

cheyenne

I was just thinking it would lower the center of gravity a little more & maybe improve traction pulling the atv wagon full of logs or firewood uphill. With water at 8.6 lbs per gal. 5 gal. in each wheel or so. 175 more lbs on the bottom end. And maybe add chains. But maybe it would be to much of a load & blow the engine. See what my pondering does. Cheyenne

stonebroke

I think you would have problems with your cv joints before your engine.

Stonebroke

cheyenne

Exellent point i think i'll use my head for once & talk with the dealer & try & pick their brain. Cheyenne

beenthere

cheyene
Tractor tires loaded with fluid can become a problem when getting to higher speeds, from what I've been told. Always was a warning to me not to let a tractor coast fast down a hill, as the fluid may start to flip over the top, creating a violent reaction and instability. Was told it has happened and caused some loss of control and pile-ups.

I'm thinking the same might apply to the ATV  with fluid in the tires, when hitting the throttle and getting up to some "fast" road or trail speeds...forgetting about the fluid in the tires that then might flip over the top..

Ohers might have another take on it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

cheyenne

Beenthere; Excellent point I never thought of that. I don't need effie landing on her noodle. Cheyenne

Don_Papenburg

It will make for  a rougher ride also
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dom

I saw one ATV with loaded rear tires, but it was used for a pull competition. It worked well, but it only had one purpose, to pull in a straight line for a short distance. It was a Polaris 300 2wd, and won the competition.  8) It also had a 300lbs rider sitting on the rear rack.  :D Poor atv was pulling for dear life!

Beenthere did mention a good point. My father ordered a new tractor, and opted for wheel weights instead of loading the tires.  Its also alot easier to remove/add wheel weights.

thecfarm

Tractors are not made to go fast no matter what in my eyes.Why would anyone want to do 40 mph on something that is not designed to go that fast.I have drove mine on the road and have no trouble with the loaded tires,but I don't try to do the speed limit either.I would never let a tractor coast downhill.Those gears are not made to turn fast.I only have a 40hp NH.Maybe some are made to go 40 mph on the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dale Hatfield

get some studed tire chains for the wheeler. They will help more than the small amount of weight that loaded tires would. Check out design of chains so that they can come on and off with ease and not a chore. I get chains for all 4 .
I have used them and they work pretty well.

Edit to add
that loaded 4 wheeler tire in the woods will end up looking like a lawn sprinkler .
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

beenthere

Quote from: thecfarm on September 09, 2008, 07:40:32 AM
Tractors are not made to go fast no matter what, in my eyes.Why would anyone want to do 40 mph on something that is not designed to go that fast.I have drove mine on the road and have no trouble with the loaded tires,but I don't try to do the speed limit either.I would never let a tractor coast downhill.Those gears are not made to turn fast.I only have a 40hp NH.Maybe some are made to go 40 mph on the road.

I agree with what thecfarm says...didn't mean to imply that they should go faster than in road gear.  But...it has happened and with loaded tires, and there can be some ugly results.  Worked for a farmer with a Graham Bradley tractor, and road speed was in the 40mph range. That is where the precaution/warning was given to me.   :o :o  And can't say I've never coasted down hills with tractors either... ;D ;D ;D

Just thought it was a good analogy to the question about loading ATV tires, as they are made to go fast, and do go fast....(as I recall a year ago). 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!