iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling own timbers vs ordering timbers from a sawmill

Started by Joe Vachon, July 02, 2017, 02:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Vachon

So I've been working and planning on building my own timber frame Home. I'm still in the process of clearing the land and having a foundation put in, but I just want to be prepared for the next phase after that. I wanted to know what are some of your insights as to purchasing a portable sawmill and milling my own timbers vs ordering my timbers from a sawmill. Thanks a bunch.

paul case

Welcome to the forum.

I bought a mill several years ago with intention to build a house. I figured the framing lumber cut from my own logs would be worth enough that the mill would be paid for in the first project. Almost from the start people were bringing me logs to saw for them and it turned into a good job. Now 3 mills later it is a good living for my sons family and mine.

I enjoy sawing. If you think you might like it and you like to work, go for it.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

longtime lurker

Kinda like Paul I bought a portable mill to cut a few boards for my own use and some beer money on the side maybe.  And it grew.

9 years later i still haven't cut that house out for myself... or i have on numerous occasions  and I've sold them each time.  And we punch 30 ton of logs a week through.

No point  buying a mill if you have insufficient raw material on hand. Other then that beware of the sawdust disease.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Larch

Sawing becomes a part of your life and you know how it goes -- the shoemaker's family goes unshod. 

Full time professional mills can have your timbers cut, dried planed and delivered while you're still waiting for your first timber to dry.  You want to be joining wood or figuring out how to run your mill? 

I would not buy a mill unless you're sure your life would not be complete without one.  And even then I'd probably tell you to buy your beam package anyway just so you can focus your attention on your frame while you get good at sawing. 

bandmiller2

A lot depends on how big a rush your in. If you have a place to live near where your building and you can let timbers dry it may be worth buying a mill. If your in a hurry to complete the house buy from a mill that cuts for timber frame. If you buy a mill get a known brand so you can sell it later if milling is not your thing. Especially cutting timbers you need  decent support equipment to lift logs and timbers. Good luck mate. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Here you go OP. And yes it can save you money in the long run. Also, one can custom cut lumber for the finish project that can save you a ton of money. Was the reason I bought my mill.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82663.0.html

One thing, one needs support equipment with a manual mill. Learning to saw and making plans on how to read a log takes a little time, Besides that, there are a lot of good, smart people that post here that will answer any question without giving you a hard time. 8)

Darrel

Welcome!!!

I'd mill my own timbers, it's fun and you'll learn something too!
8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thechknhwk

Thank You Sponsors!