iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 880 failed to start

Started by Busysawyer, August 31, 2018, 10:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

Its pretty obvious why it wouldn't start. I ran a few tanks through it yesterday with no issues.  Went to use the saw this morning and pulled it a few times. Normally the saw sputters first or second pull and runs in one or two more pulls. I pulled it 5 or 6 times with not a hint of starting and immediately thought something's wrong.  I had just topped off the fuel and bad oil so went to the first logical place and pulled the plug.  What I found was the plug was missing the ground electrode.  I've never seen this before.  My concern at this point is the piece that broke off has trashed the cylinder and or piston. The dealer wants to try to fish the broken piece out with a magnet and throw a new plug in it. Should I push for a cylinder inspection?  I think they should fix the cylinder and piston if there is any damage. Saw is under warranty and I feel that a plug breaking off is most definitely manufacturing defect and should be warranted.  

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

ladylake

Under warranty, for sure the jug should be pulled and piston and cylinder inspected. Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sawguy21

X2 Stihl may argue that is the plug manufacturer's problem but they are the ones that need to pursue that if it is the factory installed one.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ehp

you would be surprised how often this happens , sometimes you get lucky but most times nope . I would pull the cylinder off cause good chance sparkplug piece will be stuck in the roof of the cylinder or the piston . Also the piece could of went out the ext. port but most times the piston catches the piece going into the port and ruins the ext. top side of piston and cylinder

Busysawyer

It is the factory installed plug. Saw is maybe 8 months old. I bought three professional level saws and a industrial power washer from these guys this year. If they give me a hard time about taking care of this the right way I'm going to flip. You guys have confirmed my thoughts and worries.  I'm going to bring the saw in tommorow and see what happens.  Thanks 

Skeans1

Good luck with the warranty most professional stuff is 3 months just the name of the game.

Busysawyer

When I bought the saw I told them exactly what I was doing with it and asked about the warranty.  The dealer didn't know so he put me in touch with their stihl rep. I told him exactly what i was using the saw for and he told me if I bought the stihl oil it would be covered for one year. I've had issues with this saw since new. I called the dealer about an hour after bringing it home with concerns about the way it was running.  I was told to run at least 10 tanks if fuel through it and see if it cleaned up. I did as instructed and it never ran better. I have talked to the dealer a few times since and they said they would need the saw for a week. I told them I use it a few times a week and couldn't be without it for that long at the moment. They said no problem just bring it in when you have a slow week. 

Busysawyer

As far as warranty was concerned, I was told if it is sold to a company like a tree service or full time logger it was a three month warranty. Like I stated before I told them exactly what I was doing with it. My concern was the warranty covering the saw if used on an Alaskan mill. They said they were selling me the saw as a homeowner purchase  and would have the full year if I bought the oil. If they dont stand behind what they told me I'm not going to be happy. I've always ran husky saws without an issue. My 455 is close to 15 years old and I have never replaced a single part. I bought 3 new stihl pro saws this year and so far 2 have needed parts within the first month and now this.  

Busysawyer

Well I brought the saw in today.  I've only been doing business with these guys for about 8 months and they have been great to work with. The reason I started buying from this place is they have a good reputation around town and are willing to work with customers on pricing. Long story short, most definitely covered under warranty. They are going to pull the jug and let me take a look. If there are any scratches or I just dont like what I see they are going to get me a new saw for free. They also said if the piston and cylinder look good and they still can't get it running to my satisfaction they will get me a new saw. They said they are a high volume stihl dealer and have never had an issue with stihl honoring a warranty claim.  They were very apologetic about the issues I've had with this saw and assured me they would do whatever it took to make sure I was happy with anything I buy from them.

homestead090

Glad it worked out for you. I'm doing some milling with an 090, which works great, but curious about the 880. My saw really does well, I mainly cut big stuff, 3 - 4 diameter. Using a Granberg mill and milling chain. Not sure if you can compare the two saws, but I'd like to know your experience. I realize you have had problems with your saw. 
Furniture maker and wood collector.

HolmenTree

You can't replace 090 engine displacement with a smaller displacement saw.
I milled with my 1994 090AV for over 20 years and even tried a well broke in 880 on the mill. The 137cc 090 outclasses them all if milling big timber.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

But having said all that I never got to try a 106cc 090 Gear drive. I heard stories of legends with millers in the California redwood country running 8 foot Alaskans with 090Gears running 137cc P/C.
Doesn't get any better then that :D

barbender

Busy, I had an NGK factory installed plug come apart just like that on my Jonsered 2171. It was cutting, and all of the sudden it started rattling really bad. I shut it off as quick as I could. I pulled the cylinder, and my piston and the head were hammered badly. I could've maybe saved the cylinder, the piston was destroyed. The electrode I found in the bottom end, it hadn't caused any issues there. Seems to be more of these plugs doing this👎 Was yours an NGK?
Too many irons in the fire

HolmenTree

Yup NGK, from what I see in the 3rd pic.

Busysawyer

Homestead, I really have nothing to compare it to as far as milling goes.  Recently I did get to see a proper running stock 880 bucking some large logs. It confirmed my thoughts on mine being a dud. Mine has been doggy and un responsive since day one. 
And yes guys it's the factory installed NGK spark plug.  Considering asking the dealer if they could replace the plugs in my 441 and 201 if they have NGK plugs.

lxskllr

Is there something inherent in saws that would make that happen(high rpm?)? Never seen it before in my life running autos, mowers, and other low revving engines. A data point of two isn't that great, but if this could be an NGK issue, I'd probably replace my plug. I use the saw little enough the warranty could be gone if the plug fell apart.

Skeans1

We use to see it on the 250R's when there was detention also with any plug we tried in them.

barbender

My Mercury 40 hp 2 stroke outboard uses plugs that have no attached electrode. Which is how my saw was running and battered itself after the electrode fell off.
Too many irons in the fire

Busysawyer

Barbender,  that is exactly what the mechanic told me today.  He said a lot of times if it breaks while running the plug will arc to the case and stay running. As you have experienced that will likely trash everything.  He said on occasion you might get lucky and have the piece blow out the exhaust port and get stuck in the muffler.  

YellowHammer

Makes me wonder if the saw's poor performance history was somehow related to some original defect in the plug before it finally failed, or if the poor performance of the saw caused the plug to fail.

Either way, it should be the dealer's problem, not yours.  Sounds like they are handling it as they should.  

I've had cracked insulators in my Stihl's, and even badly eroded electrodes after too long between plug changes, but thankfully, I've not had the electrode get swallowed.    
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

With the amount of money you spent there,they should stand behind the product. Glad they did.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

teakwood

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 01, 2018, 10:54:37 AM
You can't replace 090 engine displacement with a smaller displacement saw.
I milled with my 1994 090AV for over 20 years and even tried a well broke in 880 on the mill. The 137cc 090 outclasses them all if milling big timber.
The 090 has more displacement and maybe more torque. But the 088 has more hp output because of higher rpms.
I have milled hundreds of hours with a 088 and that saw is a beast, have cut some 20" wide ironwood, that just like glas, 8' long one tank per cut. when you finish the cut the oil left almost boils the saw gets so hot, it's amazing these saws can take such abuse. 95 degrees temp and 90-100% humidity. And with .404 chain, we don't have such things as low profile chains, skip or semi skip here. not available  
I think the 088,880 and 090 are comparable for milling. 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Busysawyer

Teakwood, one thing I have noticed with my 880 is that it runs cool. Quite often I need more than a tank of gas to finish a single cut. I don't even shut the saw off to fuel up. Just leave it in the cut and pour some gas in and keep on going. I think it's running really rich which is keeping it cool but also using a lot more fuel than it should. I can run two tanks straight of fuel through it on a 90 degree day and the plastics are barely warm to the touch.

HolmenTree

Teakwood, h.p. specs of the 880 and 090 mean nothing.
You need to try a 090 milling and especially a 090 with its govenor disabled like I did with mine that raises its h.p. off the chart.

Not only does the 090 have 15cc more displacement it also has a oversized outboard clutch with brake lining material on the shoes and a finned cast aluminum muffler... that keeps the engine much cooler then a 880 under the heaviest cutting milling.

But as I said disable the 090 govenor and keep the H speed screw set at light 4 stroking and run it 32 to 40:1 and that saw will surprise you.
I disabled mine right from day one when brand new, ran it that way for 20 years.

HolmenTree

A photo from the spring of 2005 with a contract I had with the local pulp and paper mill. I bought this 090AV new in 1994. I bought my first new 090 in the late '70s.

As the photo shows for several months 12 hours a day my worker and I cut these cull (not suitable for market) 54 inch diameter 14 foot long kraft paper rolls in half to fit in the repulper machine.
With a mile of cement bag strength paper in these rolls, this was the hardest thing I ever cut.  

The 090AV with govenor disabled took 5 minutes at WOT to make the one cut. Only chain that would stand up was Stihl .063 harvester chain on the 5 foot bar with helper handle.
Saw was using up 5 to 6 gallons of gas and a gallon and a half of bar oil a day.

By the start of summer temperatures were in the upper 90's and we were wearing shorts under safety chaps.
But the heat didn't bother the 090, she just kept on motoring. :)
On a good day over 40 rolls cut.

Thank You Sponsors!