iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northern White Cedar

Started by RROCK, July 01, 2005, 06:31:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RROCK

Hello All, Nicky-newguy here. Just found this forum yesterday. I think you folks might be able to help me out. What I'm looking for is some vertical grain or rift cut clear white cedar. What I want to do with it is build a wood and canvas canoe. I don't need alot, about 80 bdft. for one canoe. Rough sawn 1x3 and 1x6 8 feet long would be good. Air dried is what I would like.

If anybody knows of a source I would like to know. I'm down here in Ohio.

Thanks in advanced. I hope everybody is in for a good weekend.

tnlogger

rrock welcome to the forum  click on the find a sawyer at the top right of the page that would be the best place to start
gene

Jeff

You can air dry cedar in probably a month at 1 inch. It dries FAST.  I could cut you cedar, but I dont have logs big enough to saw riff sawn 1/6. Thats some big logs for white cedar. Cedar is really pricey any more as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

JoeyLowe

rrock:

Welcome and good luck with the cedar hunt!
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

UNCLEBUCK

Try www.woodenboat.com and ask for a free back issue , there is alot of boat lumber suppliers that advertise just about every kind of wood in their and they all ship same day u.p.s and any amount of it , big or small boat ! Welcome to the forum and hope to see all your pictures when youre done .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

SwampDonkey

We have big white cedar here, alot of it goes to Maine for Canoes. Trouble is, most of it, of large size, is on crown lands which can't be shipped (exported) as round wood. Also, big honkers like that have a good chance of being hollow and 300 years old.

Story of Chestnut Canoe

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pasbuild

I could get you all that you would need, not sure how it could be shipped or at what cost to ship? Email me and I'll see what I can do.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

RROCK

Thanks for the response to my question. Just got done stripping  stalls in the barn and getting ready to start mowing some fence rows. What ever happened to taking it easy on the long week ends? I hope everyone is having a safe  and good time weekend.

Thank You Sponsors!