iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What length Cant hook to buy?

Started by Brad_bb, October 04, 2014, 09:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I have a new LT15go.  I need a Cant hook.  Logrite has them from 24"-60".  How am I supposed to know how long to get?  I'm thinking 60" in case you ever need the leverage?  Maybe that would be awkward when you don't need that long?  Too bad you can't buy a 48" and then add an extension if you need it...
Any input?  I'm 5'9.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Don_Papenburg

Buy the 48 and turn a nice birdseye maple extension ,or if you really want to grunt  make one out of osage.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

jaygtree

i'd go with the 60'' too, so you have the leverage when you need it. mine is a 48'' but the next time i replace the handle it will be with a 60''.   if you get a shorter one you can extend the handle with a piece of pipe when needed but that's more monkeying around.  jayg
i thought i was wrong once but i wasn't.   atv, log arch, chainsaw and ez boardwalk jr.

dgdrls

Can never have too many Log Rite tools. logrite_cool

I started with a 48" and then acquired a 60"
both are superb.

DGDrls

Dave Shepard

I have the 60". A good length for a manual mill. If you were to get a second, then a 30" or a mill special is a great companion for smaller logs, or when you have the log busted down to a reasonable cant.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Larry

The 78" Megahook, especially with a manual mill.  I have one and it even works well on smaller logs.  I have a 60" Dixie that never gets used but I do use a 4' one on smaller logs.  I would like to get the Mill Special to flip cants or when help is needed on a big slab.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

delvis

We have a couple cant dogs and a couple Peaveys.  I find the cant dogs more useful most of the time as I don't need the spiked end a Peavey has very often unless I am trying to drive it into the ground to hold one end of a log while we roll the other end forward some.

The newest cant dog is actually made by Peavey and has the right angle on the hook to be able to grab most any log.  It is 48".  Our old cant dog is one my grandfather made and has what I would guess to be a 24" handle plus the head.  This gets more use than anything else because it is so handy and sized just right for everything but the biggest logs.

I really like the look and feel of the Log Rite tools, but when the weather gets cold, that metal handle wouldn't cut it for me.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

Ocklawahaboy

I bought the 42" and it is about 18" too short for the 1000lb log I just milled.  It is also 42" better than nothing though. 

cousin jw

There are three different hook sizes offered by Logrite. Look on their website and match the log sizes you will be milling to the correctly sized tool. I get the most use from my 60" followed by my megahook. My 48" is my least used cant hook. YMMV

Dan_Shade

I have a 48", three 60" (a cant hook and 2 peaveys), and two 78" ones.

the 60" will do most every task.  I use the 48 to turn cants on the mill when I can turn faster than the hydraulics.

I have two 78", because I figure if I need one, I need a helper!
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Brad_bb

Thanks for all the input fellas.  I think I'll try the 60" to start with.  As far as metal handle in winter, I always wear gloves, even in the summer-thin, form fitting leather palmed gloves.  So my hands stay protected yet I sill have sensitivity.

backwoods sawyer

I have a pair of 60" PV's
A pair is handy, now you are only doing 1/2 the work ;)
stearing the logs is easy with two and when you almost got it there the second one takes it the rest of the way.

Today on flat land little Jo and I loaded 6 Oak and maple 16"-24" logs on the trailer (four on the bottom two larger ones on top) by simply rolling the logs up a set of ramps on the side of the trailer with the two pv's.

There are times a pair of 78" are more practical, and a short one is on the want list as well ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

My first Logrite cant hook was a 30" mill special. It's still my "go-to" cant hook -- first thing I take out of the office/toolroom when I start the day.. I use it for rolling logs up to the mill, for "rolling" big timbers after they're off the mill, and to turn a  log that the regular turner is trying to push up over the side stops.

For stuff that the mill special won't handle I have a 60" logrite. It spends most of its time in the toolroom, but when I need it I'm really, really glad it's there.

Don't forget, with the longer handles you have to push them further to turn the log the same amount. I'm about your height and I find the long handle can be a pain on my LT40. If I had a mill sitting closer to the ground it might not be so bad.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

js2743

get the 60" you could always cut it off if you dont like it.  :D

WoodenHead

I have two 48" cant hooks and an 18".  I would recommend the 60" for just that little extra leverage with the larger logs.  The short one is great for quick turning of small logs and cedar.

I had two 48" cant hooks so that a helper and myself would have one.  When my helper disappeared I still found two useful by myself.  Rotating odd shaped logs can be a pain, so two cant hooks strategically placed can be a big help.   ;) 

just_sawing

On the ground a 60 inch is great, this gives you leverage without bending over. On the log deck 48 inches is great this gives you leverage but is useful between logs and such. On the mill 24 inches is a must. with the mill tight quarters it works the best.
So you just buy three and be happy.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

thecfarm

I like the 60 inch one. I prefer a peavey,the one with the point. Allows me to use the point to pry the logs apart.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Quote from: delvis on October 04, 2014, 10:06:48 PM
I am trying to drive it into the ground to hold one end of a log while we roll the other end forward some..

Try putting a piece of slab in the middle of the log and roll the log on top of it so both ends are up off the ground and you can turn the log with one finger ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

The 60" is a must have.

You need two, so that your assistant can help you turn the logs that you should have known better than to saw. 

My combo is a 60" for the normal sane logs, and a 78" for those insane large logs. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

21incher

I got the 60" and it is great for just about everything, but in the future I plan on adding a mill special for when I need extra help turning the other end of a can't on the mill and holding the cant square while clamping the dogs.. Don't worry about the cold, the 60 has a nice rubber grip that insulates the aluminum.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

red

So the question should be
How many of each length?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

backwoods sawyer

:P I am with noah they should all come in pairs ;D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brad_bb

My problem is usually I am by myself.  I'll try out the 60" and then decide on a second one.

GAB

Mr. Drouin Sir:
You said "Try putting a piece of slab in the middle of the log and roll the log on top of it so both ends are up off the ground and you can turn the log with one finger "
That works great however since logs are frustrums of cones, the weight center is not generally in the center of the log length wise.  I need a lot more practice before I can turn them with one finger.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!