iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 15 issues

Started by JHEPP08, October 07, 2014, 11:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHEPP08

I have a good ole lt 15.. I've boughten new blades for it but I still have a issue with it.. When I initially start to cut in the wood the blade dips down enough to pith ya off. I have checked an the blade is proper tightness an I've even put brand new blades on .

Is their any adjustment tricks? I have Manuel that shows adjustment.
Do you guys change the little guide wheels ?

Thanks
Woodmizer LT15

dgdrls

Band tension too low (loose)?
Does this happen with all different species or is this happening in the same log?

DGDrls

GDinMaine

The same issue can effect just about any of the narrow kerf bandmills, so don't be discouraged.  It could blade tension, blade alignment, drive-belt tension or the very log you are trying to saw. If you can give more details on your settings, that would help the more experienced members here to give you advice.

What did you use to check blade tension?
Did you check blade alignment?
Was it doing the same thing in other logs as well or it's just this one?

Your issue seems like it might be loose drive belt if it is only doing it -dipping - at the beginning of the cut... ???

ps:I had a similar issue on my LT-40 super and it turned out that the blade alignment was off AND the log was so bad it took the blade for a ride regardless of how new or how well tensioned the blades were.
Good luck.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

MartyParsons

Hello,
The LT15 is a great mill. We will need a little more information on what is happening giving you a bad attitude. As posted the drive belt adjustment is something that needs to be checked every 50 hours. Blade tension is also something that needs to be part of every day check. The little rollers on the blade are called blade guide rollers. Life of these are 500 hours +. There are bearings in the rollers. The blade guide arm is also part of alignment and it should be secure not real loose. You can pull, push turn wiggle the rollers and they should not move. They should also turn freely. The belts on the wheels should be rotated from the drive side wheel to the idle side wheel every fifty hours, inspect them for wear or cuts.
  Wood you are sawing could also be something to think about. Moisture, Density, Width, Abrasiveness. Are the logs dirt free on the outside?
  What hook angle blade are you using? Thickness of the blade?

I hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

dukndog

I had a similar problem with mine this spring.
Go through the adjustments for the mill. Get a good large square (18"), a 18" metal rule, the Wood-Mizer supplied alignment tool (aluminum bar and clip), box end SAE wrenches and SAE allen wrenches.
Angle of the blade to the entrance of the cut was my problem. Take your time and check each and every point in the Wood-Mizer manual. Once it is adjusted out, it will saw and saw and saw!!
Best of luck!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Will_Johnson

The first thing is to never start adjusting anything until you have changed the blade for a new, fresh, sharp and properly-set blade and cut a different log.

As the previous posters have mentioned, the issue you're having is almost always (but not always) a blade or log issue. The ends of logs will dry out faster than the hearts of them, meaning they are harder and the blade is more likely to deflect.

JHEPP08

Thanks for the great post! I haven't had a chance to go through to check blade alignment. But I've had the engine off previously. How do you check the belt tension ? I think I'll order new bearings for the guides the mill is a 96' an I'm sure they are original. Thanks for all your great help this forum is awesome !
Woodmizer LT15

Magicman

Do your blade guides turn smoothly?  If not, then they may need replacing, but I would not throw parts at a problem until you identify the problem.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

If the blade is always diving, AND it happens with different blades, AND if it happens with different logs, then it is most likely a blade alignment problem. You shouldn't need any parts to check and adjust your alignment.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

JHEPP08

When I take the blade off an spin them they don't make a funny noise like if a bearing was bad, but when it's running there's just a lil bit of noise. An it just seems to dip within the 1st 12" of a board an if I hit a tough knot.. The rest of the log cuts pretty good I mean it isn't silky smooth by no means, but it'll clean up nice. Really appreciate all the great input you guys are a life saver !
Woodmizer LT15

JHEPP08

It sounds as if my drive belt might be loose
Woodmizer LT15

mikeb1079

two issues i've had with my homemade mill that caused similar problems were:

1.  drive belt loose causing blade to slow down resulting in wavy lumber

2.  blade guide rollers not perfectly parallel to the bunks causing the band to rise in the cut.

hope this helps
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

Woodmizer sells a tool that allows you to set the belt tension just right.  There is a video on how to use it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

JHEPP08

Hey guys wanted to let you know my drive belt was waaaayyy loose an now it cuts straight as a arrow! Thanks a million guys! I owe you all a beer! That issue was frustrating me big time!
Woodmizer LT15

Magicman

Thank you for the update and fix.  Your woes will surely help someone else along the way.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!