iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

odd weather

Started by thecfarm, January 08, 2007, 09:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Just wanted to start a thread about odd weather in your area.I live in Central Maine.I'm sitting here waiting for it to stop raining again.We had a few inches of snow last night and now it is raining.Not that I can really go out with my tractor and do anything.There would be mud every where if I did that.Just walking around I can feel how soft the ground is.Got up a few days ago and it was almost 40 ° at 4:00.Got up to the high 50's and broke records all over the state.We did have some snow,than rain and temps in the 40's melted it all.The dirt road in just like a spring thaw.Seems like we have a storm at least once a week now.Be it a few inches of snow than rain.Paper claimed we had a thunder storm with lighten and all that good stuff.Unheard of in Me in the month of Jan.Been this way since mid Nov.We did have about 2 weeks of normal weather.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Today is the first near normal day we have had since November.  We got about 2 inches of snow last night and the temps dropped to around freezing.  They say in this area we have had so far the 2nd warmest winter ever  and the 7th wettest.  We still have annuals that should have been froze and dead in October coming up from the bottom. Just south of our area they are extremely worried about the sugar beet crop as the huge mountains of beets that are awaiting processing are not being protected by the usual natural refrigeration. All the rain going through through piles warms the center and starts them to rot. We have zero ice on the lakes and until last night no snow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sawguy21

The local ski resorts have the best conditions they have seen for years yet the wind and rain here has been exceptional.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

jon12345

The other day we had record high and a record high for the low, I think a few have been broke here recently in central NY.  When it finally does get cold enough to snow around here we are goin to get pounded with lake effect since erie and ontario are still open.

A lot of people are worrying about what this is going to mean for the maple syrup production. 
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

Last February my cousin was driving around through his Christmas tree fields with the pickup and just up the road he set up pipelines in a little maple grove. The sap has not ran well for the last couple years here and it ain't going to be all that great this year unless we get some snow. We had snow started here at 6 am. I suppose close to 2 inches so far. Goin go to flip over to rain sometime. Yesterday we had almost 0 snow, I was out last night walking under a clear sky with stars and 32 F weather, this morning it's 28 F , now up to 31F. It was like this back in winter of 1979-80, and we burnt brush from a harvest my uncle did all winter for something to do. Many days were in the 40' some as high as mid 60's.

This fall I was out to the Hargrove maple sugary and that place is huge. They must have 1000 acres tapped.  All I could see was pipes and sugar maples for miles. It's set up on crown land as the government has leases for maple syrup producers. I have an aerial photo of the area on my computer, because I was navigating my way back into a private lot.

We had bristly locust that leaved out on the lawn in February, March turned cold and snowed and killed the trees.

I remember a few springs planting grain the first week of April, a normal spring planting will begin no sooner than the last week of April, but more often mid May.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

About the time it dries up enough to no longer have puddles of water, we get another good soak. I'm not saying it is unusual, but it is frustrating. If it ever gets dry enough I am going to put in about  1/8 acre of concrete and 1/2 acre of rock.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

twobears

i love the weather we,ve been getting here (very warm for us and little to no snow). i,ve gotten alot of work done i couldn,t otherwise.
but,i feel sorry for alot of my friends and old co-workers.i have one friend that makes alot of his paycheck cutting cedar in the winter.he,s really hurting because he can,t get in the swamps where the cedar is.the loggers are hurting too.. it,s just to muddy to get in the woods.most winters i hardly see a skidder,ect being moved.but,this winter it,s been a steady stream of them going by my house on the state highway.i heard everybody is either shut down or moving alot to try and stay out of the mud.

delbert

solodan

We have recieved less than a foot of snowfall at my place so far this year. :-\ and only have a snowpack of about 3-4 feet in the high country. This is unusual, but we have seen this before.  All of the storms have been going to the north, but everything will eventually shift, and then we will get cold air from the north mixed with storms coming out of the south pacific and we will get 15 feet of snow in march, and then everyone that complained about it not snowing, will be complaining that it won't stop, cause it will snow through april, and then through june in the high country. :-\  I hope I'm wrong.  ::) :D

SwampDonkey

Well we've been getting thecfarm's rain since 2 pm (AST). It's not raining real hard, yet. The temp is just at 32 F but I suspect it will climb overnight.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ken

Still raining hard here in central NB after getting about 6 inches of snow earlier in the day.   Doesn't hurt my feelings though.  Each day that it is not 30 below 0 or blizzard like is one day closer to spring.   8)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

farmerdoug

Well, it is below freezing here now and the ground is harding up.  smiley_blue_bounce I may be able to move the equipment in the morning without making to much of a mess.  Maybe it will freeze up enough to haul a few logs out this weekend. 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

logbutcher

All in the northeast have the same problem: too *DanG wet underfoot. Can't bring even the ATV with soft wheels into the woods. Well maybe Chicken Little (aka AlGore running hard for '08) is correct...this year at least. We do our TSI and firewood only when the ground is frozen hard, or at least protected with 6" + of snow. Just have to sit around eating Bon-Bons and watching the soaps.  :( Some heavy gear owners have put their rigs up for sale. Tough times.
Some work on foot can be done, but not too well. If you stack pulp or firewood it'll freeze hard to the ground. Time to think about Disney World  :-[

Faron

Rain, and more rain. Something like 20 inches above normal for 2006.  We did have a few days in Dec. when the ground froze some.  Lately it's been exceptionly warm.  That is supposed to change next week with lows in the single digits.  I hate cold weather, but we need some of it.  I think people and animals do better with a colder winter than with one like we have been having.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Mooseherder

Was never an Al Gore fan but kept an open mind to his Movie "An Inconvenient Truth" about global warming.
If you have access to the DVD it is worth watching.
I also kinda like him now. :D

ohsoloco

I'm so excited that it's supposed to get into the 20's tomorrow night, and only about 32-33 on Wednesday.  I should be able to get my skid loader up the hill to the fire pit Wednesday morning to dump a few loads of slabs that have been in my way for a few weeks  :(  I had some people over for a bonfire New Year's Eve.  Rained off and on all night, and the field got so slippery you couldn't walk on it anymore.  A friend of mine that parked in the field couldn't get out (it's on a slope)...he just kept sliding down towards my firewood pile.  Had to open up some space so I could hook up the trailer to the truck and winch him out  :-\

Man o' man I can't wait for the ground to freeze, too bad it won't last long...50's and raining for the end of the week  ::)

SwampDonkey

Going down to 20 F on Tuesday night and back up to near 30 Wednesday, 10's Thursday night, 25 F and flurries Friday. It ain't been below 0F all winter and only at 0 3 or 4 days, but not consecutively.

jon12345

We're getting a little snow now, has been snowing on and off since about 2:30 this afternoon and got about an inch so far. Supposed to be in 30-40's again the rest of the week.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

fuzzybear

well up here in the great white north it's been interesting. November we had record cold temps of -48c. Cold for november. Then in December we had days on the plus side of zero. It's the first time in 17 years I havn't seen the river freeze over completely.
   We can usually run the entire river into town with our pickup, but this year I'm leary using the skidoo. But it seems like normal lately. -30 and dropping.
   Keep in mind as I write this it's -37 and supposed to drop to -50 tonight.  ;)
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

farmerdoug

Well it is cold outside but the worst thing happened, it snowed.  We have about 1 1/2 inches of snow on the crust of frozen ground.  This will certainly slow the freezing on the ground greatly.  Oh well I guess it is to be the theme this winter.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

SwampDonkey

34 F here now. About 2 inches if you stretch the tape measure. 8)

Bill Johnson

It has cooled off some since last week here. Last Friday it was +5 and raining, first time I ever had to wear rain gear in January doing field inspections, still no snow to speak of maybe 10cm in the bush if we are lucky, but the cold is coming forecast for tomorrow -28 with the windchill in the morning, heating up to -11 in the after noon, still no big snows in the forecast.

Our fish and wildlife guys are getting antsy, they are planning an aerial moose survey and need at least 30cm of fresh snow before they can go.

But I'm with Ken, any day without winter is just day closer to spring, though I shudder to think what our early fire season may be like if the snow melts and the ice stays in April, hard to pump ice :D
Bill

Onthesauk

At 2:00PM today it was mid 50's and dry.  At 3:00PM it was low 40's and raining sideways.  We lost power for a couple of hours.  At 4:30PM it was 30 and snowing hard.  Now it's back in the mid 30's and raining.  Suppose to have a few inches of snow by morning and then in the 20's for the next week.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

20 ° F here this morning as predicted.

Typing TIP:

° (unicode character -NUMLOCK ON , ALT 00B0 -hit numbers from numeric pad)

START/ALL PROGRAMS/ACCESSORIES/SYSTEM TOOLS/CHARACTER MAP (click once, drag and drop character into text field) or double click, hit copy button and CTRL-V on text cursor position.

Coon

Well unusuall weather yes and no.  For the most part we have had a warmer than average fall/winter.  We have had more snow already this winter than we normally get in the whole winter.  No frost to speak of the snow came too soon and too fast.  Normall winter logging blocks are shut down for the season because of this.  Definately have winter weather right as I am typing this.  We have whiteout conditions with temps in the -20C range (without winds) and the radio just said it is like -38C with windchill.  They are claiming we are going to have these conditions for the next 2-3 days (whiteout) and cold temps until weekend at the earliest.  Will snap a couple of pics when it gets daylight.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Irving has shut down all it's woodland operations province wide, too wet in the woods.

Thank You Sponsors!