iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do your wives try to keep every scrap?

Started by Ocklawahaboy, January 31, 2013, 09:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sixacresand

Quote from: WDH on February 02, 2013, 08:33:16 PM
Sometimes, ignorance is bliss  ;D.

I ought be happy happy happy then.  like the duck guy.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Busy Beaver Lumber

In that sense, I think I am even worse than my wife in trying to save every piece of wood and find a good use for it, even the shavings and sawdust.

1. We sell the shavings as animal bedding and use some as fire starter at the lake
2. Small pieces of wood wind up as cutting boards, plaques, wine stopper blanks, segmented wood bowls, wood pen blanks, and about another half dozen uses
3. Cherry and Hickory scraps are sold for use in smoking meats
4. we are now even selling our cedar scraps by the bag full as air fresheners for closets and chests
5. Ugly scrap wood get bundled for firewood

The wife kids me that I dont let go of a piece of wood until not even a termite or carpenter ant would want it because it was too small to be worth the effort of transporting it back top their nest :D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

loggah

Sawdust from the sawmill, and shingle mill shavings get used around the gardens and blueberry bushes, and a bunch gets turned into the big compost pile !! my wife collects all that stuff up !!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ocklawahaboy

My mom and her husband were over for the super bowl last night and wanted a mill demo.  I put a piece of my sinker cypress on and started milling.  Then my wife decided to pick out a piece that I was planning to get 8 or 10 3/4 by 6 boards out of.  I'm now forbidden from cutting it because it looks too cool.  I'm going to have to quit bringing wood home to mill.

Radar67

Like some of the others have said, "It's not my wife I have to worry about." I see a pen in everything at times.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Ocklawahaboy

Quote from: Radar67 on February 04, 2013, 11:39:03 AM
Like some of the others have said, "It's not my wife I have to worry about." I see a pen in everything at times.
I'm a #2 MT lathe chuck away from having the same problem. 

Tree Feller

My wife has absolutely no interest in any of the scrap generated by my sawmill or my woodshop. She does like most of my woodworking projects, though, and really likes the occassional check.

I used to keep a lot of cut-offs and scrap lumber until I realized there was only so much room for storing it. Now, I keep a few small pieces of different species that I work with and the rest either goes into the firewood pile or onto the yard-waste burn pile.

My ERC shavings and sawdust I usually spread around the base of my Dogwood trees as mulch. Once I get a chicken coop/pen built, I'll be using Pine sawdust and shavings in it. Walnut all goes to the burn pile as it is contains a natural herbicide. It's bad for horses, too, although I don't have any horses...yet.

Mesquite and Cherry scrap gets cut into small pieces and bagged. I give it away to friends that grill a lot.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!