The Bridgeport make this job so easy. I should have taken some pictures as
I was drilling. Next time I will.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

Great stuff.  Thanks for posting.

I bought a 1964 Bridgeport that I'm currently rebuilding.  When it's done, it's going to be used mainly as a woodworking mill, as I already own a very serious mill, a K&T universal with a high speed vertical head.

I really like the fact that you can mount another head on the backside of the turret and spin it around.  I'm going to fabricate a plunge mount for a high speed router.

I know that there are woodworking mills already made for this process, by Wadkin and Oliver, but they are few and far between, and the only one's I've ever seen for sale were total rebuilds.  The bearings are a couple thousand bucks to replace (ABEC 9)  and they still want several thousand in unusable condition.

I paid $100 for my Bridgeport....... 8) 8) 8)
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Kbeitz

You stoled that bridgeport. I would buy it for that just because.
Did you know that bridgeport made a plunge head for the back?
Also Grizzly tools sell a woodworking mill. G9959 mill.
Also Woodstock international. M1004

https://www.elitemetaltools.com/sites/default/files/products/manuals/m1004_m.pdf
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

It was a good deal from a patternmaker's shop that had 48 hours left to clear out their space.  I bought 7 machines, including the Bridgeport, which had been the recipient of a leaky roof for some time.  The upper spindle bearings were rusted frozen.  Back gears didn't work. 

All good now, I just need to get the J head back together.  I also have to scrape the column and table.  The knee has chromed ways, and is in great shape, but the guy used grease (never use grease on a Bridgeport) and everything else is a mess.  Project.

Yes, I am aware of those other makers, but I do not allow import tools and machines in my shop.  Very strict rule for me.  USA, Canada, and Europe made are fine.  Not asia.

Al_Smith

I know the model M's had a shaper head .They made a lot of things for the round column early models such as provisions to make it into a horizontal mill .
I have either a 1939 or 1940 model M with a brass ID tag From Mall tools Chicago .It has a right angle quill .Neat thing about a model M is they will "nod" past vertical .There is virtually  every angle possible with these things using rotary tables etc .You are only limited by your imagination .
I didn't get so lucky as a hundred bucks,cost me 800 .Fixed the fine feed,tightened the gibs and took the slop out of the x axis feed screw .It's a good one .It will cut anything a 4 HP model will it does it slower .

Kbeitz

I paid $1500 for my J head. It came with a 48" table an power feed.
I put the DRO on it. I just ordered a headlight ring for it.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

woodworker9

Don't get me wrong guys, the $100 was just to save it from the dumpster.  I'll probably have a couple grand, easy, into it when I'm done with new bearings and repairing some of the broken parts.  My machine was in a patternmaker's shop since new, and used sparingly, so there isn't a lot of way wear on it.  BUT, it was greased instead of oiled, and that is a HUGE no-no for these.  Grease pulls in swarf under the table, and creates a lot of wear quickly. Luckily, these guys were only cutting aluminum and mahogany with it.

My intention is to do a full restoration on it, scrape in the column and the table ways.   I checked the knee already, and it's flat and aligned, with the original frosting still showing on the chromed ways.  The head is a total rebuild, of which I've already done the hard part. 

I also want to add power feed in X-Y, as well as DRO.   I have a DRO on my Monarch lathe, and am going to add it to my K&T mill when I get around to it.  You can get spoiled quickly having a DRO, they are so nice.

Al_Smith

I do everything very old school way.No power feeds no DRO .I do have a pair of ball screws I could adapt but I don't use the mill enough to warrant it .
Neat thing I've found about Bridgeports is the fact they have an adjustment for just about everything.Feed screws,gibs,spindle bearings etc .The one thing you don't want to do is damage the spindle bearings .Just those for an M head are  over 200 bucks last I checked .I'm certain big J heads are much higher .Way oil,Vactra synthetic,not axle grease .These things were built to last forever,don't screw them up .
I could ramble on for hours about the stuff I've made,Bored out small engine blocks,cut spur gears using a dividing head ,installed the gashing marks in a 64 tooth worm wheel and hobbed it out on a Monarch 10" EE lathe .It just takes a lot of figuring and set up time is all .

Larry

I've used the Bridgeport for woodworking once.....

It got a project dreamed up where I will chain the dividing hear to the "X" feed.  Might be a while at my speed. ::)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Larry on January 12, 2018, 03:35:20 PM

It got a project dreamed up where I will chain the dividing hear to the "X" feed.  Might be a while at my speed. ::)

They sell a kit for that...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Larry

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!