iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another paper mill sold

Started by snowstorm, August 19, 2018, 10:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

to a company in china. the verso wicklife mill. verso shut it down a couple years ago

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

snowstorm

mills

I missed the date for re-opening, but the Chinese buyer is investing $150 million to convert it from gloss coated paper to cardboard. 

snowstorm

another mill making cardboard, that seems to be the trend

BurkettvilleBob

mike_belben

A trend that makes sense.  The newspapers and print catalogs went dodo bird thanks to the smartphone and all its ordering capacity.  Orders that dont go in a paper bag anymore, but rather a cardboard box.
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

They lost readership before them gadgets, but they did hurt them. At least the paper here decided to omit the business section during the week and have it on the weekend paper. Well they sold weekday subscriptions and if you wanted weekend paper there was a premium. They killed themselves. ::) A lot of people, including me want paper in their hands. Even if I have a PDF document I have to print it to be useful or sections that I want. I can't read them tiny screens like teenagers. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

snowstorm

now i here there may be another closed mill reopening . anybody want to guess whitch one it is?? its in maine

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

Quote from: Southside logger on August 20, 2018, 09:29:23 PM
Madison?
That one would make the most sense. It would have to be old town or Madison I would think 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Southside

I thought Old Town was an empty shell after the last alternative boon doggle. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Maine logger88

That could be I'm not really sure. I know Lincoln would need a huge amount of work to put back into service and bucksport and east millinocket mills are about all gone

Southside

Lincoln is gone, even some of the buildings are gone, it's a Superfund site now and get this - Poland Spring is going to pull well water from there..
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

A that is why I don't buy bottled water.
Wife had a cooking license,so the water had to be tested above what a homeowner would be tested for. Always came back super fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

old town is what i am hearing. it may be that a chip mill has wood piled down waiting for old town to be ready. and it may be that a company from china needs pulp....time will tell

Maine logger88

Well that's good if it works out! I wonder if they will buy hardwood or softwood? Has verso started that machine back up yet? 

snowstorm

Quote from: Southside logger on August 20, 2018, 10:11:26 PM
Lincoln is gone, even some of the buildings are gone, it's a Superfund site now and get this - Poland Spring is going to pull well water from there..
poland is buying the water from the town of lincoln and leasing the land where they load it. all in tankers so far. in kingfield they have a bottleing plant . some is trucked direct to the customer and some is loaded into containers trucked to portland then the train to boston and points south. all in the name of being green...the polar express...and last nite a water truck hauling out of lincoln was shot at on 95 south. not much on the news so far 

Thank You Sponsors!