iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

290 kit Question

Started by hilltop67, January 12, 2018, 12:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilltop67

Hi guys, I have several saws but this fall I picked up my dads old 290 from his garage while we were cleaning it out.  He isn't with us anymore so the saw has some nostalgia for me.  It needs rebuilt, I was looking at the baileys kit but found this one in the process. 

http://www.sawagain.com/49mm-short-block-cylinder-piston-rings-crank-assembly-new-fits-stihl-029-ms-290-039-ms-310-ms-390/

What are you guy's thoughts on this kit compared to the Baileys one?  Thanks in advance.

dougand3

AM is a crapshoot - some work great, some don't. Out of 8 Husky builds - 55 to 272, I've only had one that was low on power. I'd definitely go 49mm 390 size. And is bottom end damaged? If not, just a top end is only $35-40.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

hilltop67

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

ZeroJunk

Buy another rear bar stud. It is hard to get it out without ruining it.
You can buy a Hutzl off eBay for $78 shipped. I have done three and they all worked fine. Two are in the neighborhood so I can keep up with their life.

joe_indi

hilltop67
could you post a picture to show the damage.
Joe

hilltop67

I will get one this weekend.

hilltop67

Here are a couple pics of the damage

hilltop67

Not sure if the pics show the damage well enough

dougand3

Piston looks trashed. Lots of Al transfer on cyl exhaust side. Don't see gouges. If intake side is fine, cyl would clean up with lots of patience. So, could get by with just a piston kit. I'd probably just go with a whole new top end.
And need to figure out why it toasted....air leak? Poor fuel? Examine all seals, boots and hoses. Best to replace all when apart.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

hilltop67

Intake side was fine but I think I will go with a new top end.  Once I finish checking bearings over etc I will get parts ordered and put it back together.  Thanks for the info about checking everything else over.  I will look closely and see if I can see any problems. 

hilltop67

Knowing when and where the saw was used back when I was a kid my guess is it was poor fuel. 

Gary Davis

looks like it was run with out oil I have an o36 looked the same I went with an after market piston and cylender and seems to run fine

joe_indi

Remember Arnold Schwarzenegger in that old movie Terminator 2: Judgment Day?
Towards the end he shuts down, but still is able to start up. :laugh:

Well, the 290/029 is like that. That photo shows a ruined piston and cylinder, but, I have seen worse, those that have started up again like good ole Arnold.
So, before going in for a replacement, try using the old one itself

Try removing those stuck rings without breaking them. If you are successful, after you have used some emery paper to smooth off the worst looking scratches on the piston, paper the areas on the rings that have aluminum stuck on them. When you re-install the rings put the one that was on the top groove in the bottom groove and vice versa.
The cylinder seems to have only some melted aluminum stuck on the walls. Use the emery to get it off and that cylinder should be fine.
In the event you break those rings you will need to buy a new set.

After you put everything back, for the first 2 to 3 tankfuls mix 2 stroke oil at 50ml per liter (5%) to seat the piston in the cylinder.
Good luck
Joe

hilltop67

I had already ordered parts and was ready to put a bigger top end on it.  Put it together yesterday and let it sit overnight.  I got home tonight and ran 1 tank of gas threw it.  Every thing seemed fine, fired right up after 4-5 pulls.  Thanks for all the help.

teakwood

You have a granite top on your workbench?  ??? ???  Or are you using the kitchen when your wife isn't home :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

hilltop67

LOL  nope it was just a scrap laminate that my dad or I picked up someplace.  Looks good though now that you say that.  I did scratch it up pretty good getting the one crankshaft bearing off   :D

Thank You Sponsors!